Do you regret getting your suppressor?

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
You guys have more than convinced me. I am actually looking at getting 2 cans. One for my rifle and one for the kids rifle.

TheGDog

WKR
n00b Questions:

Rifles - Threading -
Can most that aren't currently threaded, be made threaded? Which ones can't? Approx Cost?

NFA Help -
Do most of the makers have tools to help you with understanding/navigating your choices regarding NFA licensing scenarios?

EXAMPLE, in my scenario I'd want Me, the Wife or the Son to be able to use any and all of the Rifles which I might elect to get one for. So it's my understanding that I'd have to setup a "Trust" for these items and whom is listed as having permission/rights to use them? Am I understanding it right, more or less?

MTSLW

FNG
For a bolt gun and especially hunting use I'd go with the TBAC Ultra 7. probably the best (quietest, lightest, most repeatable) all around can on the market and I've shot or been around a dozen different suppressors. If you want quiet and don't mind the extra couple inches the Ultra 9 is pretty ridiculous.

MTSLW

FNG
n00b Questions:

Rifles - Threading -
Can most that aren't currently threaded, be made threaded? Which ones can't? Approx Cost?

NFA Help -
Do most of the makers have tools to help you with understanding/navigating your choices regarding NFA licensing scenarios?

EXAMPLE, in my scenario I'd want Me, the Wife or the Son to be able to use any and all of the Rifles which I might elect to get one for. So it's my understanding that I'd have to setup a "Trust" for these items and whom is listed as having permission/rights to use them? Am I understanding it right, more or less?
Common thread pitch is 1/2"x28 for .22cal and 5/8"x24 for everything larger. Some people do a 9/16x24 for some of the medium calibers but that usually requires an adaptor to get it to the 5/8". The min barrel size is around .680" but some suppressor companies want to see. 725" or so. lots of gunsmiths will thread barrels and the cost is between $100-$250. Any competent dealer would be able to help you with licensing. You'll want to Efile your application since it takes less than half the time to get it back. Your family could use the can and likely be fine as long as you are around, but if you wanted to be safe you would create a trust and have them added as authorized users. There's a bunch of companies that offer ready made documents to file the trust.
Hope that helps!

n00b Questions:

Rifles - Threading -

NFA Help -

MTSLW answered most of your questions, but I did notice that you listed your location as OC, CA. I assume that is Orange County, California, correct? If so, you are SOL, my friend. CA still deems suppressors as evil assassin tools and therefore they must prevent you from having the thing possess you and turning you into a stone-cold killer.
If I am reading that wrong, then disregard. I will just add to what MTSLW stated. As long as your wife and son reside in the same residence as you and as long as you are around when they are using the suppressor, it isn't a problem at all. They just cannot be in "possession" of it if they are not name as responsible parties on your trust. What the definition of possession is can be debated, but my feeling is as long as you are both on the same property at the same time, you are still in possession of it.

In answer to the OP's question. I bought my first one 10 years ago. I have bought 6 more, and built 2 more, since then. I love them and other than my self defense handguns, my shotguns, and a couple of my hunting handguns that I don't really use anymore, everything I shoot is suppressed.

ElPollo

WKR
Buying one for your kid’s gun is a spectacular idea. I picked up my first can on Thursday and shot it today. Can’t wait to get my daughter shooting it. It’s like changing the laws of physics.

TheGDog

WKR
MTSLW answered most of your questions, but I did notice that you listed your location as OC, CA. I assume that is Orange County, California, correct? If so, you are SOL, my friend. CA still deems suppressors as evil assassin tools and therefore they must prevent you from having the thing possess you and turning you into a stone-cold killer.
If I am reading that wrong, then disregard. I will just add to what MTSLW stated. As long as your wife and son reside in the same residence as you and as long as you are around when they are using the suppressor, it isn't a problem at all. They just cannot be in "possession" of it if they are not name as responsible parties on your trust. What the definition of possession is can be debated, but my feeling is as long as you are both on the same property at the same time, you are still in possession of it.

In answer to the OP's question. I bought my first one 10 years ago. I have bought 6 more, and built 2 more, since then. I love them and other than my self defense handguns, my shotguns, and a couple of my hunting handguns that I don't really use anymore, everything I shoot is suppressed.
Grrrrr... being as I already am a stone-cold killer by nature (HA!) learning this right here

"Penal Code 33410 PC – Possession of a Silencer – California Law. Silencers are illegal in California. Penal Code 33410 PC makes it a criminal offense for a person, firm, or corporation to be in possession of a silencer. A conviction is a felony punishable by up to 3 years in jail or prison."

is not sitting well... I guess just F me and F my hearing, Huh?

What's that? .... I'm sorry, what'd you say?

bsnedeker

WKR
Grrrrr... being as I already am a stone-cold killer by nature (HA!) learning this right here

"Penal Code 33410 PC – Possession of a Silencer – California Law. Silencers are illegal in California. Penal Code 33410 PC makes it a criminal offense for a person, firm, or corporation to be in possession of a silencer. A conviction is a felony punishable by up to 3 years in jail or prison."

is not sitting well... I guess just F me and F my hearing, Huh?

What's that? .... I'm sorry, what'd you say?
Whew, good thing we are talking about suppressors and not silencers! I'll bet CA also has a law against "fully semi automatic assault ghost guns"!

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
Common thread pitch is 1/2"x28 for .22cal and 5/8"x24 for everything larger. Some people do a 9/16x24 for some of the medium calibers but that usually requires an adaptor to get it to the 5/8". The min barrel size is around .680" but some suppressor companies want to see. 725" or so. lots of gunsmiths will thread barrels and the cost is between $100-$250. Any competent dealer would be able to help you with licensing. You'll want to Efile your application since it takes less than half the time to get it back. Your family could use the can and likely be fine as long as you are around, but if you wanted to be safe you would create a trust and have them added as authorized users. There's a bunch of companies that offer ready made documents to file the trust.
Hope that helps!
That's a very helpful post, thank you.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
Whew, good thing we are talking about suppressors and not silencers! I'll bet CA also has a law against "fully semi automatic assault ghost guns"!
For decades I've been warning people in other states. Pleading with them to speak up and join our fight here in CA. Because what they might not realize is that ALWAYS.. seriously ALWAYS... they "try out" a law either here in CA, or NYC (maybe Chicago as well) and if they don't meet up with a crap-ton of resistance.... invariably... inevitably... their plan is to roll it out nationwide. They are literally trying to do that isht right this very moment too!

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
I have to say the process through my lgs and Silencer Shop has been soo much smoother then I expected. I had it built up to be this big monster. Thanks again for all the feedback.

BulldogCE

FNG
I'm on my third can now. It makes everything so much better...target shooting, hunting, casual plinking. I just wish I had done it sooner.

So I went and did it. My local gun store ordered a Hyperion K for me. Now the wait begins. Thanks for all your guys comments.
All I can say now is start saving up for the next one. When you go to pick that one up drop the money and the papers for the next one, because there will be a next one.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
All I can say now is start saving up for the next one. When you go to pick that one up drop the money and the papers for the next one, because there will be a next one.
Oh it's happening :) I have my next two years worth of cans planned out plus one for the wife.

Dunky

WKR
Add me to the list of those that wish they would have done it much sooner. I have sustained damage to my ears from my own firearms and being close to others shooting at game with breaked rifles. Someone on here mentioned being polite shooting suppressed. It not only protects your ears, but those around you also.
i have 3 now.

My regret is not getting one sooner. I was never a suppressor guy. Thought they weren’t needed etc. finally got one and I’m sad I didn’t do it a long time ago. Simply for the fact it’s so much quieter to shoot. Easier on the ears