Do you suffer from back pain after waking up?

TandKHunting

MADE IN THE USA - VETERAN OWNED
Classified Approved
I am not a doctor or physical therapist. This is my own experience and opinion.

I suffer from chronic lower lumbar back pain from my military and law enforcement days. For the past several years, as I age (and I'm only 33), I have noticed that getting out of bed in the morning has become a task. Barely able to go brush my teeth, wincing in back pain, and only feeling better after showering and starting to move around for a few hours. Like any "tough guy" I have just dealt with it and it hasn't deterred me from chasing elk in Colorado, or humping a pack around for deer during the fall. Yet, through out the day over the past few years I have noticed a lot of fatigue and low energy, which can obviously impact mental health. Apparently pain can impact getting a good nights sleep. Who would of thunk!?

Anyways, I invested in some Tempur Pedic Ergo adjustable bed bases. There is a position called "zero gravity" on the remote. I have watched a lot of videos and read several articles on this sleeping position, which was developed by NASA several decades ago. According to my research, it puts your spine in a neutral position when sleeping. At first, I thought it looked ridiculous and uncomfortable, but with the amount of back pain I have been facing over the past several years it was worth a shot.

LET ME TELL YOU. I have not been able to get up and get going in the morning like this since I was in my low to mid twenties. Low back pain, no morning stiffness, and I finally feel rested and ready to go. Apparently, this position is also good for your heart, as it doesn't need to work as hard throughout the night.

I would definitely recommend looking into this if you wake up with neck and back pain every day like myself.

Congratulations on finding a solution to your back pain. That's gotta be a HUGE relief. I deal with a bit of back pain myself not due to anything important just lost the genetic lottery a bit and developed scoliosis in my teens. Something I've found recently that has helped me TONS is doing this quick and easy stretch routine daily.

It's super simple and the benefits I've noticed in a short amount of time are shocking. I've been recommending it to everyone I meet lately to the point of annoying myself hah!

Safariguy

FNG
Back pain is terrible, I feel crippled all day. Its nice you found a solution, but tempurpedic is quite an expensive brand.

rcb2000

WKR
Glad you got some relief! I’ll keep that in mind for my wife, she has chronic back issues.

Afhunter1

WKR
I had back pain for the first hour of the day for years until I got a Tempurpedic bed. I jump out of bed now. It was expensive but I’d paid twice as much.

I normally like a hard bed but I got a soft one and glad I didn’t stay with the firm.

Wait till you get over 50! I've dealt with lower back issues for about 20 years. It comes & goes but whenever I can feel it I start doing these 3 stretches a couple times a day & it helps get it gone pretty quickly. I'm sure doing them every day would be much better but I don't.

Wife and I both had back pain from our old spring mattress we named "the canyon" as it sloped to the center. Since getting our firm tempurpedic 7 years ago neither of us have had issues. Well worth the money.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
For me, a very firm bed helped. For many years I would sleep on the floor in hotels to avoid being crippled after 2 nights on a soft bed. My current bed is a plywood platform with a 3 inch mattress topper on it. A pillow between (side sleeper) or under (back sleeper) can help.

Really though, asymptomatic asymmetric strength training, Starting Strength style squats, rucking, and intentionally not holding my back stiff when it hurt and using the muscles appears to have fixed it. Not felt like a cripple for the past 2 years. Which after dealing with it from about 22 untill 33 I had just thought it was something I was going to have to live with.

For me, stretching would temporize the pain, but never fixed the problem for more than a day.

Last edited:

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
After 4 back surgeries....you bet !!!

Lol !

But, truth be known, it was unbearable prior to the surgeries.

Weldor

WKR
After 23 years of chronic back and nerve pain. (botched surgery) I'll try anything. Have been stretching for years, and it helps.

Maki35

WKR
Imo, the right bed will help. But back exercise is key.
Had my share of back pain.

use to have degenerative disc disease/herniated disc. I lived by my three cortisone shots a year.

Then I got stem cell injections and havent had an issue since

I recommend adding a “pso-rite” to the mobility routine if you have chronic lower back problems or tight hipflexers. Can work wonders on those hard to reach areas and loosen up muscles in your core and hips. Can also be used all over the body too. But your first few times the psoas is such a tender muscle it can cause more harm than good until you get use to it. Less is more

OH_Tony

FNG
Been dealing with it since my mid 20's from a few bulged discs. Like a few others have mentioned, I got into a decent routine of strength training and that helped but when I added in a good amount of stretching and mobility training it made a world of difference. There is a guy on Instagram "lowbackability" that has a lot of great info on strength/mobility training for the lower back and supporting muscles, areas. It has helped me quite a bit adding some of that stuff into my routine and I haven't felt this good in quite some time.

I am not a doctor or physical therapist. This is my own experience and opinion.

I suffer from chronic lower lumbar back pain from my military and law enforcement days. For the past several years, as I age (and I'm only 33), I have noticed that getting out of bed in the morning has become a task. Barely able to go brush my teeth, wincing in back pain, and only feeling better after showering and starting to move around for a few hours. Like any "tough guy" I have just dealt with it and it hasn't deterred me from chasing elk in Colorado, or humping a pack around for deer during the fall. Yet, through out the day over the past few years I have noticed a lot of fatigue and low energy, which can obviously impact mental health. Apparently pain can impact getting a good nights sleep. Who would of thunk!?

Anyways, I invested in some Tempur Pedic Ergo adjustable bed bases. There is a position called "zero gravity" on the remote. I have watched a lot of videos and read several articles on this sleeping position, which was developed by NASA several decades ago. According to my research, it puts your spine in a neutral position when sleeping. At first, I thought it looked ridiculous and uncomfortable, but with the amount of back pain I have been facing over the past several years it was worth a shot.

LET ME TELL YOU. I have not been able to get up and get going in the morning like this since I was in my low to mid twenties. Low back pain, no morning stiffness, and I finally feel rested and ready to go. Apparently, this position is also good for your heart, as it doesn't need to work as hard throughout the night.

I would definitely recommend looking into this if you wake up with neck and back pain every day like myself.
Are you sleeping on your back?