Does a hunting camp management service exist?

SDHNTR

WKR
I’m feverishly packing for a NV deer hunt that starts in a few days. My business is busier than ever, kids are all over doing kid things, mama is tearing up the house with improvement projects, time is in very short supply! I’m a stress case trying to manage it all and pack for a proper hunt that does this tag justice (it’s a good one).

It got me thinking…. I prefer to hunt DIY when I can. I know there are lots of other Hunters like me. I don’t need or want a guide but a sometimes the logistics provided by outfitters are helpful. But I don’t want that. We need a service that covers the logistics EXCEPT the hunting part. You arrange a pre determined camp spot. Then show up to a set up camp, tents, cots, tables, lanterns, firewood, stocked with everything you need, even food. Maybe for an additional fee you could even hire a cook to take food prep off your plate too. There’s got to be a market for this. Does it exist already? Im ready to write the check!

Yeah , sounds like you want a supplied drop camp. Your scenario is a little different because it sounds like you want your drop camp somewhere you can drive to not out in the wilderness or a roadless area like they typically do. The outfitters have to register the drop camps sites with the forest service or whatever agency has management of the land in nearly all cases.

Try calling the outfitter in the area. If they can legally do it, that would be way less work for them that’s hauling a supplied drop camp 6 or 8 miles into the wilderness on horses

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Yes of course there are drop camps for remote wilderness hunts, but what about other hunts that aren’t so remote? I’m wondering if someone would supply a camp and a cook only for a truck hunt. Lots of good hunts are like this. AZ and Most NM elk hunts come to mind. I wouldn’t think a successful outfitter would do such a thing as they could make more money and would be busy doing the fully guided part too.

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
I wouldn’t think a successful outfitter would do such a thing as they could make more money and would be busy doing the fully guided part too.

This might very well be the rub... if it's not financially sustainable, it won't be worth it.

What would you be willing to pay for this service for say a 4-day hunt? If it's a decent amount, and you are coming to Idaho... How do you take your coffee, sir?

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
This might very well be the rub... if it's not financially sustainable, it won't be worth it.

What would you be willing to pay for this service for say a 4-day hunt? If it's a decent amount, and you are coming to Idaho... How do you take your coffee, sir?
See, that’s what I’m talking about! You can see the vision. Say $100/day for a camp set up only, plus your gas money. I’d pay that in a heartbeat to not have to schlep all my shit back and forth, pack and unpack tow a trailer, etc. then say another $250-300 a day for food and a cook. $350-400 a day all in? Personally, I’d pay $2500ish a week for a well supplied and stocked camp with quality equipment, good food and a cook. Someone figure this out.

ODB

WKR
See, that’s what I’m talking about! You can see the vision. Say $100/day for a camp set up only, plus your gas money. I’d pay that in a heartbeat to not have to schlep all my shit back and forth, pack and unpack tow a trailer, etc. then say another $250-300 a day for food and a cook. $350-400 a day all in? Personally, I’d pay $2500ish a week for a well supplied and stocked camp with quality equipment, good food and a cook. Someone figure this out.

Believe it or not this isn’t the first time I’ve considered this. I told my wife this last year - with the number of traveling hunters, there have to be a high percentage who have no interest in figuring out the logistics of gear, etc. and want to show up and hunt.

the open question of location gets more complicated. If all I’m doing is outfitting the camp, the location is 100% on the hunter. I don’t want to have to wake up at 4am to make coffee AND get bitched at because no one finds an animal - if you get my drift.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Believe it or not this isn’t the first time I’ve considered this. I told my wife this last year - with the number of traveling hunters, there have to be a high percentage who have no interest in figuring out the logistics of gear, etc. and want to show up and hunt.

the open question of location gets more complicated. If all I’m doing is outfitting the camp, the location is 100% on the hunter. I don’t want to have to wake up at 4am to make coffee AND get bitched at because no one finds an animal - if you get my drift.
Of course, it would have to be clearly communicated that no hunting advice will be given and the hunter must choose the spot. That way it can’t be misconstrued as any sort of guiding without a license.

JFK

WKR
It would only work as a network of independents that service a geographic area more local to them. A central website, a person who manages booking and customer service, vets camp hosts to make sure they are legit. Essentially a way to connect traveling hunters with locals in the area who are willing to handle logistics for a fee.

Interesting idea, but also seems like it could be an absolute nightmare.

TheTone

WKR
Of course, it would have to be clearly communicated that no hunting advice will be given and the hunter must choose the spot. That way it can’t be misconstrued as any sort of guiding without a license.
I think, at least in my state, it would still constitute outfitting and require a license

WCB

WKR
How about you take less stuff? If hunting from the truck it takes about 30minutes to set up camp organize and be headed out hunting.

I'm thinking an outfitter/guide service probably wouldn't let you tag along just for camp because you'd have to negotiate hunt locations with the other guides, and that info is ... proprietary. But, lots of outfitters have easily accessible base camps, so it couldn't hurt to ask and throw around some suggested prices.

VBRO or Air BNB plus negotiated services?

Moserkr

WKR
Hunting camp “VRBO” is exactly it. Takes the guiding portion right out of it and may require no permits at all since camping on public land is legal for 14 days at a time. Could run the chef option under a different license/entity if it creates issues.

$2500 is a good number too. I got a guided spike/cow hunt with amenities and some dinners cooked for $1500/5 days. I would say that is right around the right price for a fair deal.

CorbLand

WKR
Interesting idea.

My initial thoughts would be that 2500/week would equal 10 grand a month for 4 months out of the year. Start taking out expenses and its not going to add up to much. You would have to find a way to scale it and run multiple at once.

Big groups of people charged by the person would be the best route if you wanted to make some money off the deal.

Poser

WKR
Yes of course there are drop camps for remote wilderness hunts, but what about other hunts that aren’t so remote? I’m wondering if someone would supply a camp and a cook only for a truck hunt. Lots of good hunts are like this. AZ and Most NM elk hunts come to mind. I wouldn’t think a successful outfitter would do such a thing as they could make more money and would be busy doing the fully guided part too.

I routinely see drop camps in locations that I do overnight scouting trips to -say, 5-7 mile hike in. I believe they charge about 1k per hunter, 2p minimum.

As has been said, it looks like you’re just looking for a typical drop camp in a less remote location.

I’m not in the location to do it, but I’ve wondered if the demand is there for an ”outfitter base” like they have for canoe expeditions along the Boundary Waters.

They pick you up from the airport in a major city like Denver or Bozeman, drive you to their place, they have already picked up the things that you can’t fly with (stove fuel, black powder, etc), that you’ve requested. You can verify your bow or rifle is on at their range and rent coolers, spotting scopes, sat phones, or other bulky/expensive gear. There’s a hot dinner and shower and a bunch of basic cabins to spend the night in.

Next morning they drive you to the trailhead and drop you off wherever you’ve picked to go, along with any local knowledge (elk aren’t bugling yet and are above 10k feet still, somebody saw a 7x7 around there last week but didn’t get a shot at him.)

You pack in, do your hunt, they pick you up at the end of it or if you tag out early. They handle the meat processing and taxidermy for you and shipping it all home.

Yeah, there would be a price tag attached, but when you factor in hotel rooms on both ends of the trip, truck rental for a week where it just sits the entire time, buying coolers and returning them, dry ice, hoping you can find what you need in a short time frame, it wouldn’t be that much more expensive, and the convenience factor would be huge.

Out of hunting season it doubles for people doing fishing and backpacking trips.

Poser

WKR
There's totally a service for this in Nevada! Here:
NV Full Service Camps

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk