Does a side x side give you an advantage??

WCB

WKR
In spots where I don't want to or can't take my truck I much prefer a 4 wheeler even over a SxS. You can get into even tighter places...even easier to get unstuck etc.

mlgc20

WKR
I'm sure they can be an advantage. But, what I see is most guys using them for road hunting in places they can't road hunt from their truck. I made the mistake a couple of years ago of hunting around the Leura Mountains in New Mexico Unit 16. It was a parade of SxSs and ATV's. All day. No gun shots. Just motors running. Downtown Dallas isn't as loud as that hunting trip was. I'm sure the Roksliders on this thread aren't like those guys were. But, Roksliders are probably more exception than the rule.

ghostmoney

Lil-Rokslider
I had an 2002 Toyota 4runner with Icon stage 5 suspension that I could go as fast as I wanted. That was my favorite vehicle for hunting and only sold it because I needed something with more room and that could tow.

I currently have an 02 excursion with carli suspension and don't ever feel like I need to go faster than it can handle washboard/rutted out roads. The plus side for me of having it over a SxS is I have 8' behind my seat of storage, Arb fridge with drinks, food so I don't have to go back to main camp so I can stay mobile. I am protected from the elements, I am able to sleep in it comfortably, and have heat/AC. The only negative is just the size, but so far there has only been 1 time that I couldn't make it down a road due to how narrow it was.
Before the suspension I drove down a road hunting that I could only go about 5mph the entire way, and still managed to bust a bump stop, and after the suspension I was able to do 40mph. A quality suspension will go a long ways even on a 1 ton truck.
Most of the SxS I see in Oregon are road hunters and I just don't understand the point of them as most roads that you would benefit from the small size are closed anyways.

TexasCub

WKR
I'm sure they can be an advantage. But, what I see is most guys using them for road hunting in places they can't road hunt from their truck. I made the mistake a couple of years ago of hunting around the Leura Mountains in New Mexico Unit 16. It was a parade of SxSs and ATV's. All day. No gun shots. Just motors running. Downtown Dallas isn't as loud as that hunting trip was. I'm sure the Roksliders on this thread aren't like those guys were. But, Roksliders are probably more exception than the rule.

You gotta remember that there are a lot of hunters out there that aren’t in their 20’s, 30’s or even 40’s age wise able to carry Kifaru packs all over the mountains. My father in law and his buddy’s have been living and hunting in the west their whole lives, but with bad knees, hips, and backs at 70+ years of age those side by sides are the only way they can still have fun. And FWIW they are still killing stuff with regularity. You would be surprised what a 1000 ft of dyneema and some pulleys can do too! perspective....

Last edited:

Curoso

FNG
Like many others I bought by ranger crew to save my truck. However, I seem to think we use it just as much as the truck. I put better suspension in it but for big game and upland with my dogs my truck doesn’t compare. I’m lucky and got the full cab with the heater so snow storms are nice now.

I would be really looking at the 50” wide models. These allow you to run sxs on atv trails also. Our ranger is great for getting back to the cabin, but can’t be used in the atv trails, which is important for moving the older guys in our party around a little bit.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s another question. Does a side-by-side offer any advantage over, say a lifted Toyota pick up or Jeep CJ 5 or 7, with Detroit lockers and a V-8? I’m asking because I’m contemplating just buying a older Jeep or Toyota, either with these mods or doing them myself, and having a designated hunting vehicle. With the prices of a newer side-by-side, I think it would be very easily to do this with one of these vehicles and probably even be money ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In AK there is a big difference. A lot of trails on federal land (BLM, NF) have 1500 lbs weight limits.

I never had any enforcement action, but I got a few windshield nastygrams after I moved up here and didn’t know better.

There are lots of places you can hunt with a full-size, but lots of places you can’t. Know before you go.

tdhanses

WKR
Here’s another question. Does a side-by-side offer any advantage over, say a lifted Toyota pick up or Jeep CJ 5 or 7, with Detroit lockers and a V-8? I’m asking because I’m contemplating just buying a older Jeep or Toyota, either with these mods or doing them myself, and having a designated hunting vehicle. With the prices of a newer side-by-side, I think it would be very easily to do this with one of these vehicles and probably even be money ahead.

Not sure if this is an issue in AK, but if you go wider then 50” it will limit where you can go in many places. Most UTV’s are too big to really open up anything more then 4x4 trails and in that regard I’d still probably take a UTV over a built Jeep, the Jeep will never be as nimble and fast.

In spots where I don't want to or can't take my truck I much prefer a 4 wheeler even over a SxS. You can get into even tighter places...even easier to get unstuck etc.

I had 4 wheeler and sold it and got a SXS. I liked the 4 wheeler better for just hunting. Just easier to deal with the smaller machine. I may buy another 4 wheeler just for hunting.

ID_Matt

WKR
I agree with most of the comments here. You can drive a decent side by side COMFORTABLY 2-3 times as fast down rough roads as any pickup apart from a souped up baja rally truck. The roads we use to access are technically approved for all vehicles but a side by side turns a 2 hour drive at 5 mph in to a 30 minute ride averaging 20 mph.

Vids

WKR
I think an ATV or SxS is the way to go. After years of debating the best setup I ended up with a Polaris 550 ATV and a small toy hauler camper pulled with an F150. I've found it works great in most situations. I can set up my camper in an accessible location and strike out from there on the ATV faster than I can get anywhere in my truck or any souped up jeep. Being able to access trails with a 48" maximum width is an advantage, so be aware of those regulations when deciding on an OHV.

The one disadvantage to this setup is you need to make sure it is legal to drive an OHV on the roads from your camping spot to your hunting spot. There are some counties in CO that have restrictions where OHVs are not allowed on certain roads, but I've always been able to find a camping spot where I can access my hunting area legally.

WCB

WKR
I had 4 wheeler and sold it and got a SXS. I liked the 4 wheeler better for just hunting. Just easier to deal with the smaller machine. I may buy another 4 wheeler just for hunting.
Agree, I took the OPs post a just accessing hunting spots. If I wanted something to double time as work around my property vehicle or as we use some of my family members SxS running back and forth at the cabin with coolers, kids, general crap I'd grab a SXS

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with a lot of comments on here. I have a Teryx4 that takes the load off my van. I was tired of tearing up tires, not fitting in places, etc. After having mine for a little over 2 years, here are some of the pros and cons I've seen:
Pros:
- If it breaks, you still have a regular vehicle to get home. Break your main vehicle and could be trouble.
- Easy to get around
- Very capable in mud/snow, and easier to get free if stuck
- Nice to have a small winch
- Can pull a trailer for work around the yard
- Packing out an elk is easy (much easier than an ATV)

Cons:
- More insurance to pay, and SXS's can be expensive to insure.
- They can be too big for some trails
- Expensive
- Break a belt out in the woods, better have the tools and knowledge to swap it out (I can't in my Teryx, it would basically need to be towed or I'd need a bunch of tools)
- Cold/Hot. I don't have a windshield or enclosure. Was a cold ride during a January hunt.
- Tires are a big deal. A few weeks ago, two of the four SXS's in our group cut sidewalls. Without a spare, it was the end of riding. Tires are expensive and not that curable it seems.
- Not street legal! This is a big deal. Have to tow everywhere.
- Lack of storage space if you are full of people.
- Have to tow a trailer usually. Very few fit in the back of a truck bed. A lot of toy haulers have limited space as well
- Not secure when parked while hiking off

Needless to say, I'm very mixed on owning one and thought about selling mine several times. I don't use it much except for hunting. I like having 4 seats, and it being short vs the Polaris/Can Am offerings. I have batted around the idea of swapping to a VW Baja (sounds silly, but windshield, wipers, doors, street legal, etc). My GF has a Maverick, so the other thought is maybe get an ATV instead. Having hunted on ATV's a little, they probably have more pro's and less con's IF you can deal with only one rider (no passenger). It'd be much more useful around the yard to tow attachments, etc. In the end, I simply use mine to go from camp to a spot to hike. I'm pretty much always on forest roads, which could be done with a Jeep/truck/etc.

To summarize, really depends on use in the off season, and where you live and can ride when not hunting. SXS's are way over priced IMO, really not sure they are worth it just for hunting.

Rich M

WKR
I have a 4 wheeler I've had for about 15 yrs, when it is time to replace it, going side side. No questions asked. It is easier and better to use, a little larger but the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

WRO

WKR
They can more likely go faster over the same terrain, but you also have to put up with more of the elements so there's a trade off.
I'll put my Tacoma against any stockish side by side out there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Phaseolus

WKR
Apparently you were not far enough from the roads either.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't own a sxs but lots of places have trails limited to 50" so someone with thier girlfriends tacoma would have turn around even before the paint got scratched.

Biggest reason they look appealing to me is the fuel consumption when your putting on lots of miles in the middle of nowhere hauling a bunch of fuel in just plain sucks.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Last edited: