Does anyone have a easy button for the ABLR bullets?

Elite

WKR
I know there is no magical east button but I have tried these bullets in 2 guns now and can’t get under 1.5” moa. I tried my 30-06 with 190s and that gun shoots easily under 1” moa with regular accubonds. Then tried some 150s in my 7mm-08 with several powders and various depths with zero luck. Wondering if I should give up at this point with them

Powder were h4350,Big game,staball 6.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Article 4

WKR
I have thousands of rounds with ABLRs both in 30 cal and 6.5. Generally they like a lot of jump. I have seen them with anything from .009 to .021.
They also seem to like being run hard but that is much the bbl as it is the bullet.

190s might be a bit long in a 30-06 if you have a 10 or 11 twist bbl. Do you know your bbl twist?
Have no experience with 7-08

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
The newest Nosler manual gives an OAL for each cartridge for the ABLR; they say that is the easy button. I’m not sure WHY as every chamber is different but it did work for my 264 Win and the 142g

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
The newest Nosler manual gives an OAL for each cartridge for the ABLR; they say that is the easy button. I’m not sure WHY as every chamber is different but it did work for my 264 Win and the 142g

I tried using the nosler OAL and nothing worked

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I have thousands of rounds with ABLRs both in 30 cal and 6.5. Generally they like a lot of jump. I have seen them with anything from .009 to .021.
They also seem to like being run hard but that is much the bbl as it is the bullet.

190s might be a bit long in a 30-06 if you have a 10 or 11 twist bbl. Do you know your bbl twist?
Have no experience with 7-08

It is a 10 twist and I went to .020 jump to noslers suggest OAL

That’s my experience with the 7mm 168’s as well. They don’t care for being loaded long and sexy. Probably why the factory loads get great accuracy reviews but hand loaders have trouble. I tried some discounted factory trophy grade in my creedmoor and it shoots lights out.

Vern400

WKR
I doubt changing your seating depth is going to give you a huge improvement.

Just last week however I was doing a little charge weight testing on a 30 cal. A one grain change in powder charge doubled my group sizes! It's the first time I've loaded for a Sporter profile barrel in a long time. Most of my rifles are a little bit fatter profile and they seem to be a little less tricky. Barrel harmonics can be very sensitive even if you're getting good velocity spread.

If you have 0.010 to 0.020 jump in a 7mm 08, focus on testing a wide spread of powder charges. Forget about 0.2 grain fine tuning.

And then the harsh part comes. Sometimes you have to change your powder or your bullet.

I don't know why, but I have a rifle that categorically refuses to shoot one or two bullets. With Sierra game kings, or NBTs it'll shoot most any relevant powder and charge weight very well. I have not gotten it to shoot SST's well yet and this is like year 30 of reloading for 30 cal. It's embarrassing. Beats the crap out of me but don't fight it. I like the ABLRs also because there's high risk with some bullets not expanding properly because they're too hard to do so at lower velocity of extreme range.

Give it another good honest try varying that powder charge widely from mild to very hot. If she doesn't come in, the powder or the bullet has to go. I have seen primers make a difference, but not enough to cut groups in half. It's probably the third or fourth option. If you find an accuracy node in the mid-range, I doubt you'll find another node before you get critical on pressure. Been there done that.