Does this seem normal? 300 WM is slow

JigStick

WKR
That’s a compressed load at the extreme range of case capacity. Even with H1000 I’d bet money you’re burning up the rifling and close to blowing primers. I’m shooting 210 Vlds at 2900fps and blowing pockets out with 3 firings

That’s a compressed load at the extreme range of case capacity. Even with H1000 I’d bet money you’re burning up the rifling and close to blowing primers. I’m shooting 210 Vlds at 2900fps and blowing pockets out with 3 firings

I haven’t put a ton of rounds through my win mag but that doesn’t align with what I’ve seen or what I’ve read from guys like Broz who have documented a lot of experience with win mags on the forums. Not saying it’s a mild load, just that it doesn’t seem over the top.

czim

FNG
That seems slow to me. Speed is not the end all be all in my opinion. Accuracy and repeatability are what I look for in hunting ammunition. If you have good repeatable dope for that ammo run it and don't worry about what the chrono says.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
I went out on the 4th and shot more. I only shot to 300 with this gun but was dead on. I took my .270 out to 425 and was dead on on elevation but a little to the left. I used the same chrono for both rounds. I basically have a 30-06 until I am able to reload.

czim

FNG
I went out on the 4th and shot more. I only shot to 300 with this gun but was dead on. I took my .270 out to 425 and was dead on on elevation but a little to the left. I used the same chrono for both rounds. I basically have a 30-06 until I am able to reload.
Have you tried another ammo with known performance to see what velocity it has? Perhaps Federals gold medal 190gr bthp. Otherwise you just have a slow accurate barrel and I would take that any day over a fast shotgun.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Have you tried another ammo with known performance to see what velocity it has? Perhaps Federals gold medal 190gr bthp. Otherwise you just have a slow accurate barrel and I would take that any day over a fast shotgun.
Yes sir I have. I am getting 2820 with 200 grain Precision Hunter. I shot 40 rounds of cheap Rem Coreloks to start the break in process first. I didn't chrono that knowing I would never shoot it.