Dog Training

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
"Training the versatile hunting dog" by Chuck Johnson, "How to help gund dogs train themselves" by Joan Bailey, "Training bird dogs with Ronnie Smith Kennels" by Reid Bryant, Ronnie Smith, and Susanna Love, "Training and care of the versatile hunting dog" (the NAVHDA Green Book) are all good.

I like the way Tom Dokken lays out the obedience training in his "Retriever Training" and usually use those techniques through the first 6 months.

Most of the books will echo the same thing: the first several months you have the pup, expose them to as many different types of people, places, terrain, and birds and it will help shape the foundations of the rest of the training.

MtnDunn

FNG
I am a big fan of Rick and Ronnie Smiths Silent Command System. I have a 5yr old GSP female and it's been awesome training her in a method that allows you to hunt with your dog without having to say a word in the field. This is especially nice when your hunting public land pheasants that will take off running when they hear your truck door shut.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
We've all mentioned books so far, but Gun Dog It Yourself and The Hunting Dog Podcast both have some content that's worthwhile if you listen to podcasts. GDIY more training info with some stories mixed in, hunting dog podcast more stories with some training content mixed in.

This are two I've found, but I'm sure there are more out there.

OP
N

Nick A

FNG
Perfect. I was just thinking about looking for some podcasts. I’m reading Training the Versatile Hunting Dog right now. I’m just working on exposing him to as many different situations as I can.

RGARNER

Lil-Rokslider
I am a big fan of Rick and Ronnie Smiths Silent Command System. I have a 5yr old GSP female and it's been awesome training her in a method that allows you to hunt with your dog without having to say a word in the field. This is especially nice when your hunting public land pheasants that will take off running when they hear your truck door shut.
This is the best system I have found, the dog will work mostly of physical cues from the handler rather than shouting at the dog constantly. Makes for a more enjoyable hunt IMO

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
I would recommend local NAVHDA as well.

Also, make sure to collar condition the correct way. And remember, even if you hunt birds every day of the season, the dog still is a pet more than its hunted, good house and people manners go a long way.

MtnDunn

FNG
This is the best system I have found, the dog will work mostly of physical cues from the handler rather than shouting at the dog constantly. Makes for a more enjoyable hunt IMO
I totally agree. I hunted some public ground with a guy in KS this year who would constantly yell at his dog. Let's just say they were better at scaring pheasants rather than killing them. This did however work in our favor a few times when we hunted opposite sides of the field and they scared birds to us!