DOPE not matching Ballistics Calculator

Rifle: Proof Research Elevation Suppressed
Scope: Swaro Z5i 3.5-18x44 BT
Ammo: Hornady Outfitter 7PRC 160gr CX

Sighted the rifle in at 100yds and shot great. Used the Swaro app to calculate the number of clicks for each ring out to 650yds. Used the 4dof app to check MOA and come up against the Swaro app. They were pretty close. Returned to zero and checked the tracking and was right on again at 100 at my zero stop.

Moved to 200yds and adjusted the BT 5 clicks or 1.25 MOA per both apps. My shots were consistently 5” low in groups. Ended up having to come up 23 clicks or 5.75 MOA to hit point of aim at 200yds. This should be the adjustment for over 400yds??? Groups stayed tight and was able to dial back down and hold groups at 100yds on my zero.

This is the first time sighting in the rifle suppressed, surely it can’t have that much of an effect on the point of impact at 200yds?!

I’m very confused. Any help would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaHunter

WKR
I’m not familiar with Swaro scopes. Are you sure each ‘click’ is 1/4 moa and not 1/8 moa? Also, have you chrono’d this rifle / ammo? Try shooting at 200 yards without dialing and don’t hold over. Just hold same as 100 and see how low your poi is

OP
W
Have not chrono’ed the rifle, just using the info from the box. Can’t imagine the variation is causing that much change.

Positive the clicks are 1/4 MOA.

When I shot at 200yds at my 100yd zero, the shots were roughly 5” low and grouped.

Moved to 200yds and adjusted the BT 5 clicks or 1.25 MOA per both apps. My shots were consistently 5” low in groups. Ended up having to come up 23 clicks or 5.75 MOA to hit point of aim at 200yds.
Do I understand this right? You’re zeroed dead on at 100 yards and making 1.25 clicks at 200 your impacts were 5” low (~2.5 moa) yet you had to adjust up 5.75 moa more or overall to bring POI to bullseye?

Last edited:
If you want a scope to dial with frequently, Swaro definitely would not have been my first choice. They are known to not be super reliable/consistent when turning dials. Great glass, hell of of a scope to look through (I own a Z8) however not great to dial with.

LaHunter

WKR
Have not chrono’ed the rifle, just using the info from the box. Can’t imagine the variation is causing that much change.

When I shot at 200yds at my 100yd zero, the shots were roughly 5” low and grouped.

This makes me think your scope is not adjusting internally, even though you are dialing. In your OP, you mentioned checking your apps out to 650 yards and checking return to zero. Did this this involved shooting at 650 yard targets, or just comparing the apps firing solutions?

OP
W
Do I understand this right? You’re zeroed dead on at 100 yards and making 1.25 clicks at 200 your impacts were 5” low (~2.5 moa) yet you had to adjust up 5.75 moa more or overall to bring POI to bullseye?

There was a total of 23 clicks (5.75 MOA) from zero to bring POI to POA at 200 yards.

OP
W
This makes me think your scope is not adjusting internally, even though you are dialing. In your OP, you mentioned checking your apps out to 650 yards and checking return to zero. Did this this involved shooting at 650 yard targets, or just comparing the apps firing solutions?

It was setting the rings on the BT turret based on the firing solutions not shooting.

WKR

WKR
There is no way in hell your 7 prc would need 5.75 moa to get to 200 yards with a 100 yard zero.

Either that scope is broken or there is something else drastically wrong.

I would shoot at the 200 yard target with your turret set to your 100 yard zero and measure the drop.

OP
W
That’s what I am saying! I can’t figure it out. Unfortunately it’ll be over a week before I can get back out.

A) verify scope, something is up, swaro scopes don't track very well B) box will be not super accurate. 2880 verified speed out of a fully broken in 22" barrel with that load for me. Plan on ~100 FPS under book for a 22" barrel and factory Hornady ammo.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

7 PRC with 160gr should be a plenty flat cartridge. No way it’s dropping that much. Even though ammo box FPS is unrealistic 10” drop from 100-200 would imply muzzle velocities below 2000 fps

You said it returns to zero at 100 with expected POI? What size groups are you getting (both in moa and round count)?

Can you check scope measurements directly? Ie put your gun in a vice and confirm on an MOA marked target that clicks move roughly the right distance

OP
W
7 PRC with 160gr should be a plenty flat cartridge. No way it’s dropping that much. Even though ammo box FPS is unrealistic 10” drop from 100-200 would imply muzzle velocities below 2000 fps

You said it returns to zero at 100 with expected POI? What size groups are you getting (both in moa and round count)?

Can you check scope measurements directly? Ie put your gun in a vice and confirm on an MOA marked target that clicks move roughly the right distance

Did not shoot for groups, only a couple rounds at 100 to check POI. I will put it in a vice and check movement. Thank you.

OP
W
Understood. I just meant that when I went back to 100 it was only a couple rounds. Initial zero was done with 4 - 5 shot groups at 100yds.

OP
W
Wait, are you zeroed with a bare muzzle and then putting a suppressor on and not rezeroing? That could definitely affect POI by that much.

No sir, sorry that wasn’t clear. Can has been on the rifle the whole time.

eric1115

WKR
Ok, thanks for clarifying.

First, make sure can is still tight.
Second, go back to 100 yards and shoot a 5 shot groups at what should be zero on the scope. I suspect a scope shift or mounting problem.