Dove Hunting Public Land - Where to Setup?

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
I was lucky enough to get drawn for a hunt on public land (Central California) which only allows limited hunters on the refuge opening day. The refuge is 3ish hours away so I just won’t be able to get there to scout before the hunt. That said, I am spending a lot of time on OnX scouting the area virtually. I’ve always walked/jump hunt for dove but thinking I’d setup with some decoys for pass shooting given the opportunity.

This refuge has safflower on it so I’m thinking of setting up on the edge of one of those fields with a tree at my back. There’s no water close by which is really my only concern.

What do you all think? Any input for a newbie on pass hunting doves at first light? I’ve read a million articles online and it seems every one of them conflicts with the article I read before.

-RadDad

Dove usually stick with the same pattern day to day. Wake up, go to water, go to food, get grit then water again and go to a roosting tree then repeat before evening roost.

For their daily roosting trees they like dead tall trees or trees with minimal leaves or power lines to sit in. They also use directional landmarks to fly and find their way which could be a lone tree in an open field, a body of water or creek, wind rows or the highest tree in an area, even a road or building. They might not fly right over it but they will fly towards it until they spot their next landmark and turn to it. They will usually roost in most any tree out of the wind and like pines when the leaves fall off. If you can identify a feeding area, water source dirt or open ground with grit or better yet a combo of these and find a lone dead tree or power line near by you can bet they will land there before they check out the ground below it to go down for food or drink or grit.

If you want to shoot the ones transitioning from one spot to the next post up on wind rows at the tallest tree, around that lone tree in the field, a point with a tree exposed more than the rest or just keep your eyes open early and expect to see them again later in the day flying a similar route.

They land into the wind in most cases so set up in any of these area with the wind at your back. They will see movement and shinny things like sunglasses or watches especially when you move around for the shot.

If it’s opening day and there are other hunters around that will keep them flying around. Transitional points like you are distribing will be a good bet. Just find that landmark that sticks out from their vantage point to set up near.

Sounds like a lot of fun! Dove wing shooting is a blast. Have fun!

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
As stated already a decoy can help. Also camo works with pretty much all birds. I'm always surprised by folks that wear bright orange or bright colors at all on a dove field . You'll get some doves without camo but you will have fewer birds flare with camo or at least drab colors that blend in to your surrounding.

Don't be afraid to move if the birds are not coming your way also.

OP
RadDad

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
Dove usually stick with the same pattern day to day. Wake up, go to water, go to food, get grit then water again and go to a roosting tree then repeat before evening roost.

For their daily roosting trees they like dead tall trees or trees with minimal leaves or power lines to sit in. They also use directional landmarks to fly and find their way which could be a lone tree in an open field, a body of water or creek, wind rows or the highest tree in an area, even a road or building. They might not fly right over it but they will fly towards it until they spot their next landmark and turn to it. They will usually roost in most any tree out of the wind and like pines when the leaves fall off. If you can identify a feeding area, water source dirt or open ground with grit or better yet a combo of these and find a lone dead tree or power line near by you can bet they will land there before they check out the ground below it to go down for food or drink or grit.

If you want to shoot the ones transitioning from one spot to the next post up on wind rows at the tallest tree, around that lone tree in the field, a point with a tree exposed more than the rest or just keep your eyes open early and expect to see them again later in the day flying a similar route.

They land into the wind in most cases so set up in any of these area with the wind at your back. They will see movement and shinny things like sunglasses or watches especially when you move around for the shot.

If it’s opening day and there are other hunters around that will keep them flying around. Transitional points like you are distribing will be a good bet. Just find that landmark that sticks out from their vantage point to set up near.

Really appreciate the reply! This is a huge help.

- RadDad

In western OK, we have excellent results from hunting evening water holes with mojo doves. Limits almost every time using .410’s

OP
RadDad

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
Get there in time to watch the first couple birds fly through. Set up on travel route.
Good call. I’ll actually be called for my reservation 2 hours before shoot time so I’ll move my setup if I end up not in a flyway.

OP
RadDad

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think anyone else said it but dove hunting may be the only hunting you'll do where having other hunters around helps you. If you can keep the birds moving you'll have more opportunities and a steady day of shooting
Good feedback. Didn’t really think about this being a factor but makes sense.

Rich M

WKR
Good call. I’ll actually be called for my reservation 2 hours before shoot time so I’ll move my setup if I end up not in a flyway.
That’s the best way to hunt flying things in an area you never been.

We used to travel for ducks and would always have a scout day or wait til 2 or 3 flocks flew by to set up. Id rather miss the early birds and be in the right place for the others instead of being set up and the birds passing at 60 yards all morning.

OP
RadDad

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
Huge shoutout to everyone who contributed on this thread! Just finished my hunt and had an epic day. Used all the advice I got and turned it into dinner for the next few days. I’ll do my best to pay it forward for others in the future.

-RadDad