Down bag in tent

Gobspur

FNG
I've read all the down vs synthetic debates on the forum here, but still undecided on what bag to get for September CO elk this fall.

If I'm using a good double wall tent like the NEMO dagger, should I really have any concerns with a down bag getting wet from condensation and such? I'll be hunting last 2 weeks of September. Backpacking in 3-5 miles. Would really like to save a couple of pounds with a down bag over synthetic. Thanks.

RyanC

WKR
I've been using a Down bag for the last 5-6 years without any issues. Unless you are completely careless and leave it out in the rain or dunk it in a river, you will be fine. Purchase a good waterproof compression sack like this one eVent Compression Dry Sack | Sea to Summit and you will be fine.

Ryan

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
I use down as well. If the tent has vents, open them up and you'll be fine. If the bag gets damp, just spread it out and it'll dry. It's dry in Colorado.

Here's the bag I use: Backcountry Hunting Sleep System Part 2 - REI Igneo 19* Down Sleeping Bag Review - YouTube

That said, if you're looking at moving toward a bivy/tarp system, the down bag can become an issue with a lower end bivy. But, I've backpacked (& hunted) for more than 2 decades and a down bag has served me well inside a tent - even when condensation was a small issue.

strand

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with everyone above, the down bag will be just fine. I use the same eVent compression sack that RyanC linked to above for my marmot helium 15 and an overstuffed HG burrow 40. It has served me well...they are some tough little compression sacks.

xziang

WKR
I don't have as much experience as the others but I would still use a down bag. I used a WM the last two seasons and when I'm not in camp or sleeping I did stuff it into a stuff sack just to be on the safe side. (incase something happens when I'm away and it gets rained on)

KMT

WKR
Down will be fine. I use down in Colorado, and my kid used a down bag in the Pacific Northwest.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the use of the event dry sac. The size you'll want obviously depends on the size of the sleeping bag. The compression ones come in 6, 10, 15, 20, 30 L sizes. As for the need for compression, be aware that the straps add some weight and are pretty long once you compress it all down - if you're an ounce counter and they're more costly. I have several and have found that the noncompression one will compress just fine as you pack more in your bag. For my sub 2lb 20* down REI bag, it fits nicely into the 8L bag. The regular (noncompression) dry bags come in 8, 13, 20, 35L sizes.

Remember, if your bag gets wet, the sun works wonders to dry it out quickly - especially in Colorado.

bounds

WKR
Just a thought on why I'm making the switch to synthetic this year.

I've had a western mountaineering bag the last few years and it's great. Incredibly light and packs tiny. I'm usually in New Mexico or Colorado hunting and have been in a floored tent, so I've never had any concern with my bag getting wet from condensation or water getting in. But, 2 years ago it rained for 4 days straight in New Mexico. We were in a base camp (drive to) and day hunting from there. So we had a big 8 man tent (no stove) and a truck to run the heater in. Even with that, my clothes and boots/socks were wet for 4 days. I'd strip down at night and wear dry clothes to bed, but it was back into wet clothes and boots the next morning. We did run the truck a couple hours each night to get boots somewhat dry, but there was no hope for all the wet clothes we had.

That being said, I'm really wanting to have the ability to dry my wet clothes out by sleeping in them in a synthetic bag. That wet of a scenario doesn't happen often where I hunt, but if it happens again and I have dry clothes in the morning, it'll be worth the sub 1lb weight penalty of carrying synthetic.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
Bounds brings up a great point. The ability to get dry can mean a great deal of comfort, and sometimes the difference between coming home early and empty handed or continuing the hunt and filling the tag.

For me, I'm looking at moving to synthetic (likely a slick bag from kifaru) because of the ability/security of not needing a bivy. Just toss a ground sheet down, sleeping pad, then sleeping bag. No need for the bivy. With a down bag, I wouldn't dare just plop the bag down without a bivy, even with a coated fabric.

wyosteve

WKR
The thought of sleeping in my wet clothes gives me shudders. Seems better to just pack a stove, which I do regardless of the season.

40 consecutive years of goose down and no problems here. I would think a scientist could have invented a product as light and lofty as down with all the benefits of a synthetic...not so far. The qualities of both fill types are often debated and in the end it really comes down to the man and his rationale. Neither fill type is clearly superior in 100% of conditions. I have no reason to abandon goose down because I've had zero issues ever in all the time I've camped on hunts or other adventures.

I know guys who only wear wool and tout it's fire-retardant nature vs synthetic clothing. I know guys who use synthetic bags because of moisture concerns. I know guys who must have a floored tent because they believe it's a better choice than a floorless. It's not right or wrong in an absolute sense...it's just a choice and you go with your beliefs.

lkwoolsey

WKR
I've used down and synthetic, they both work fine. I've used down hunting, backpacking and climbing all over the Pacific Northwest and with jsut a little bit of care, its no issue. Like a couple guys have said, just use a waterproof compression sack.