Argali Rincon vs Big Agnes Copper spur style tent

Kurto_15

FNG
I am looking to buy a tent for backcountry hunting and after doing some research am debating between an Argali Rincon or a Big Agnus Copper Spur UL2 or something equivalent in style. I will mainly be using this tent for archery elk hunting in September.

With the Argali I would still opt for a nest in it to keep the bugs and condensation down. I have done some research on these and like the idea of the system and also the added benefit of adding a stove if needed on a hunt later on. For those of you that have used them with a nest, for a single person would you prefer the full nest or get the half nest? I have seen a few say that with the half nest they then have a bigger area to keep gear out of the elements without having to bring it into your sleeping area.

I guess besides the fact of being able to add a stove to it, what would be other benefits of the Argali vs say a Copper spur since I would be using a nest in the argali anyways? Also I have seen quite a few Rincons in the classifieds. Is this because people are always changing there setups or do people not like them?

Cooper spur is great 3 season tent, super easy set up. High elevation exposed spots with chance of high wind (40+) or heavy snow I would go with a 4 season.

Just have to weigh the pros and cons of tipi vs freestanding to determine what you prefer. September archery elk I’m taking my copper spur. Late season deer/elk packing a tipi/stove becomes more appealing.

I'm used to the space of my Kifary Tut (similar to the Abskorka 4p) and not sure I'd like the smaller size of the Rincon. Love the stand up height of my Tut. Lots of space and room for activities. lol. Also love my Copper Spur 2 but use it for kayak camping where lighter weight and freestanding tents are needed. Really prefer the flourless shelter when hunting in CO in sept for archery elk.

DeePow

FNG
Cooper spur is great 3 season tent, super easy set up. High elevation exposed spots with chance of high wind (40+) or heavy snow I would go with a 4 season.

Just have to weigh the pros and cons of tipi vs freestanding to determine what you prefer. September archery elk I’m taking my copper spur. Late season deer/elk packing a tipi/stove becomes more appealing.
I’d have to disagree. This past September was my first with the Rincon and I spent nearly 16 nights in it.

I love the ease of set up, weight, and the size. It packs down to nearly nothing, since bugs aren’t an issue there is no need for the nest. The spacing was fine for a buddy and myself or a castle when it was just myself. Added bonus of the floor less is being able to use the Jet Boil to make coffee while you’re still in the sleeping bag

The shelter did perfectly fine in rain and snow BUT I did learn in the first squat to rut out a moat to guide rain rather than letting it disperse sporadically. I am ecstatic with my Argali and will probably grab the 6-person next year

I’d have to disagree. This past September was my first with the Rincon and I spent nearly 16 nights in it.

I love the ease of set up, weight, and the size. It packs down to nearly nothing, since bugs aren’t an issue there is no need for the nest. The spacing was fine for a buddy and myself or a castle when it was just myself. Added bonus of the floor less is being able to use the Jet Boil to make coffee while you’re still in the sleeping bag

The shelter did perfectly fine in rain and snow BUT I did learn in the first squat to rut out a moat to guide rain rather than letting it disperse sporadically. I am ecstatic with my Argali and will probably grab the 6-person next year
Disagree with what?

I stated it’s personal preference and stated my preference after using both.

Have you used a copper spur tent before?

DeePow

FNG
I apologize, that wasn’t correct phrasing. I’d misread your preference of floorless over the Copper Spur.

Jbehredt

WKR
I’ve got a silver tip, cimmaron and redcliff that haven’t been out since I bought my copper spur. Probably won’t go floorless much any more unless I need the stove.

Ive used many tents similar to the Rincon, but at this point Ill take the Copper Spur or a similar freestanding or semi freestanding tent and not think twice about it. I also only hunt during archery season out west, and all the thru hikes I do are in the spring/summer. So no need for a stove.

qmalone64

FNG
New to the forum / western hunting. Curious at what point are yall choosing to pack a stove? Also packing stove and the rincon when hunting solo? I’ll definitely be solo so curious if yall are running tipi and stove by yourself and what pack weight is coming to.

Thanks!

Matt G.

WKR
I also in this realm of debating on the freestanding tent vs tipi style tent. With the Copper Spur, can you just use the poles and rain fly if you have the footprint in place?

I also in this realm of debating on the freestanding tent vs tipi style tent. With the Copper Spur, can you just use the poles and rain fly if you have the footprint in place?

Yes. Ive spent quite a few night in the Copper Spur with rainfly only - but you need the footprint to do it. Insert only and full tent dont require the tent specific footprint. Ive also spent quite a few nights with just the insert and no rainfly. But the majority of nights with the full tent. Ive not been brave enough to leave the insert in the truck, but if you were so inclined you could cut the weight by more than half.

dster3

FNG
I have the Argali rincon and used it for a season. I really enjoyed it and will probably pick up the half nest just to keep the stove option available.

Personally i think with the tent space, half is the way to go. I was able to keep all my gear inside for a rifle hunt and run a stove. Granted, I'm 5'7" so I can fit into small tents regardless and have extra room.

OP
K

Kurto_15

FNG
Well I ended up ordering a Copper spur through a sale at GoHunt for 30% off. I think for me right now a freestanding tent is what will work best and if I ever get into the need for a tent with stove I’ll add the Argali to the arsenal

qmalone64

FNG
I have the Argali rincon and used it for a season. I really enjoyed it and will probably pick up the half nest just to keep the stove option available.

Personally i think with the tent space, half is the way to go. I was able to keep all my gear inside for a rifle hunt and run a stove. Granted, I'm 5'7" so I can fit into small tents regardless and have extra room.
How you the fit have been being about 9” taller???

gostovp

WKR
I have a Seek Outside Cimarron, and I’m debating if I want to keep that or go with a freestanding double wall. To me the condensation in the single walls suck, especially the more people you put in them… add sweaty boots and gear and ugh… you are almost forced to use a stove just to keep the air dry. And yes, you gotta dig a moat around the high side of a tipi because when it rains…and it will in the mountains in September…the water does run in from the high side of its a big enough rain

Matt5266

WKR
I use both a seek outside cimarron and a fly creek ul 2. Although I'm looking at replacing the fly creek. I'm not a fan of the door on the front. Rather have a side door.