Down bags vs quilts

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love my quilt. I have an ee 10° revelation. I toss and turn and I'm 5' 11" 208lb and don't have draft issues. The first night or 2 was a bit of a learning curve but not terrible. I don't run my pad inside the foot box like that, I sleep on top of the pad and run straps around and under.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Read1t48

WKR
I plan to get a quilt to replace my older slick bag. I like the flexibility of using a quilt for multi purposes. With a stove, and puffy gear for sleep, I think I can get 4 season use, if needed.

OP
P
Awsome responses, this is why I love this site. I'll be listening to that podcast during work today thanks Ryan

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
like a lot of folks here I'm a fan of quilts for all but incredibly cold temps, but not all quilts are created equally. I used a thermarest quilt that was horrible, mostly because the pad attachment was terrible. The Enlightened equipment pad attachment works well and I'm a fan of the Enlightened equipment bags and how they work. For colder temps pick up their down hood, which will drastically increase your comfort in cold weather. Check out some of their modified quilts as well if you don't want a full-on quilt.

One other note, if you are sleeping under the stars and not in a tent, expect drafts. I tried to use a quilt on a scouting trip without a tent at high elevation and it was a miserable night.

I am very happy with my quilt as far as its performance from late spring through fall. I am an active sleeper and it's more comfortable and versatile in my opinion. I use a silk liner to reduce the amount of dirt and skin oils that I get on the quilt. I think that helps minimize some of the draft issues that some guys experience. I also bought a wide. When I'm camping with one of the kids, I can tuck them against me and drape my quilt over them. When I'm hunting, the extra width is a luxury. I think that quality of sleep is worth the miniscule weight penalty and extra cost.

My hesitations in regard to my quilt are mainly with the water resistant treatment of the down. I'm not fully convinced that it'll function well enough if it's really needed and I have concerns that repeated washings will erode that resistance. I had an experience with hypothermia and would like to avoid repeating it. So, I feel as though I need to be more conscious of the care of my quilt. Keep it clean. Keep it dry. Don't air it out/dry it in the sun by tossing it over just any scrub brush with dead branches.

If I'm canoeing right after ice-out with early spring rains, I'm bringing a synthetic. Same when winter camping.

I am very happy with my quilt as far as its performance from late spring through fall. I am an active sleeper and it's more comfortable and versatile in my opinion. I use a silk liner to reduce the amount of dirt and skin oils that I get on the quilt. I think that helps minimize some of the draft issues that some guys experience. I also bought a wide. When I'm camping with one of the kids, I can tuck them against me and drape my quilt over them. When I'm hunting, the extra width is a luxury. I think that quality of sleep is worth the miniscule weight penalty and extra cost.

My hesitations in regard to my quilt are mainly with the water resistant treatment of the down. I'm not fully convinced that it'll function well enough if it's really needed and I have concerns that repeated washings will erode that resistance. I had an experience with hypothermia and would like to avoid repeating it. So, I feel as though I need to be more conscious of the care of my quilt. Keep it clean. Keep it dry. Don't air it out/dry it in the sun by tossing it over just any scrub brush with dead branches.

If I'm canoeing right after ice-out with early spring rains, I'm bringing a synthetic. Same when winter camping.

This is really a concern of materials not a quilt vs sleeping bag problem. I have both synthetic and down quilts for different temp ratings and different weather conditions.

This is really a concern of materials not a quilt vs sleeping bag problem. I have both synthetic and down quilts for different temp ratings and different weather conditions.

No doubt. My rambling was in regard to my down quilt. Just a couple of things that I thought were worth consideration. Whose synthetic quilt have you been using?

FURMAN

WKR
I just purchased a regular wide 0 degree EE enigma. I am 5"10" 165lbs. I am a side sleeper. I sleep cold and I toss and turn. I have spent 3 nights at around 30 degrees in it. I love it and do not see myself going back. If I get hot I can open it up if, somehow, I get cold I can put my down on. Give on a try.

Muttly

WKR
Underground Quilts will do custom work, send them an email with the size you have in mind, and they will get back to you in fairly short order.
Had them build a couple wider quilts last summer, was pretty happy with the prices, turnaround time, and especially the workmanship.
Find something the size of the quilt you,'re looking at, throw it on and do some tossing and turning.
If it's letting in drafts, you need something wider.

Muttly

WKR
And for what it,s worth, I,m about the same size as the OP, 62" wide seemed to be about the sweet spot for me.
Enlightened Equipment sells them in extra wide at 64"..

Fishforfun

Lil-Rokslider
Yes that's the way I have it set up. But imagine if you will a Tasmanian devil, that's how I sleep:)

Thanks on the podcast.

How is it more comfortable for your type of sleeping in a bag vs a quilt? I would describe my sleep patterns the same and toss and turn from side to side. I'm concerned a bag will make me feel claustrophobic. I'll be listening to the podcast....again :).

1signguy

WKR
I am a fan of Hammock Gear's stuff- For me the quilts go with the hammock. Past September it's time to go back to ground and get the sleeping bags out.

Hey Ryan I dont want to derail the thread so delete if needed but did you run the quilt something like this? Thats looking at the bottom. With the straps in place when you lay on the pad it literally makes an air tight seal where the pad is on top of the quilt. I dont know if thats how its suppossed to be used but thats what a buddy and I have been doing and neither of us has ever been cold.

Btw the podcast is awesome so far. More substance than others out there even if you and Aron rag on quilts when Ive never had a problem with one. :D

You got me curious but picture is not working for me.