Draw weight for whitetails

OP
J
Alright thanks, was thinking between 40 and 45 being this will be my first longbow didn't want to start too heavy.

LostArra

WKR
Remember though that all bows especially longbows vary in performance/efficiency. Draw weight is only one factor. When I first started making selfbows I made some that measured 45-50# on the scales but were DOGS. I wouldn't hunt rabbits with them.

Jmp209

FNG
Like lost said, there are a lot of factors. Aside from the ability of the equipment is your personal ability. When I first switched from modern to traditional archery I realized how poor my form was and how heavy 45 lbs really was. It took me a while to be able to comfortably shoot at that weight and be confident enough to hunt with it. 45 lbs seemed minimum to me before I started but I'm glad I didn't go any heavier and found it was more than capable of taking a whitetail and black bear.

Draw weight will change with your draw length too: a bow is usually measured at a 28” draw length. If you draw shorter, the weight will be less. If you draw longer the weight will be more.

I draw about 29.5” to 30” and shoot a #45 bow, so I pull it closer to 50# in reality. I don’t hesitate to hunt elk with it.

Beendare

WKR
I hunted with 40# for awhile and killed a couple critters....they were just as dead as my heavier setups.

And I was only shooting a 475-485 gr arrow....COC 2 and 3 blade heads though.

An efficient BH makes up for a lot.

______

LostArra

WKR
I hunted with 40# for awhile and killed a couple critters....they were just as dead as my heavier setups.

And I was only shooting a 475-485 gr arrow....COC 2 and 3 blade heads though.

An efficient BH makes up for a lot.

______

Did you notice any difference in the 2 blade vs 3 blade with 40#? I've been sticking with 2 blade on my lighter traditional rigs but I have zero data to backup that decision.

Beendare

WKR
Did you notice any difference in the 2 blade vs 3 blade with 40#? I've been sticking with 2 blade on my lighter traditional rigs but I have zero data to backup that decision.

Yeah, I do.

I almost always get a full pass through with the 2 blade heads. The big Snuffer and 150gr VPA's create a little more friction....and I've had less pass throughs with those. Those are pretty big heads. I think sticking to a tapered 2 blade with a light bow is a good idea.

FWIW, I have shot a hog with those Kustom King Trailmakers- a longer tapered 3 blade with less cutting diameter ........and those act like a 2 blade.

@Beendare i shoot a 47lb recurve at 31” draw 550gr arrow. (170ft/sec roughly I believe) I want to do a two blade with bleeders like the black hornets... I want to use them with compound too. Or should I just get the two blades and know I should always get a pass through. I love the compact hornet, but I could go with buzz cut also.