Drift boat/raft

2ski

WKR
I figured some of you might have a better answer than someone trying to sell me something soni figured I would ask here. I'm thinking about buying something to float and fish and waterfowl hunt. What are the benefits to a raft? A driftboat? What do you get from a wood drift boat? An aluminum drift boat? Pros and cons. If you're waterfowl hunting with a dog, is it easier to get a dog I to a raft or a drift boat. Those Pavati boats look sweet but alot of stuff that seems unneeded? I know someone that just bought one of their surf boats. They are proud of the name $$$.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
What type of water(s) are you floating?

The right raft will do ‘more’, but I’d rather row a hard boat all day, everyday in the wind and would way rather fish out of the right hard boat.

Lots depends one where, when and how you’re gonna be using it.

I would think the only benefit to a raft would be (possibly) lower cost and the ability to use for whitewater. I put possibly since I don't know the price tag on the alum/wood boats you're looking at.

I'm a rafter and not a fisherman, so I do know a good bit about rafts if you have follow up ?'s.

mwebs

WKR
If your on flat/ under class two water then drift boat. I have a raft which I fish and do trips out of, but I fish more from a buddies drift boat. I think for hunting/ fishing the drift boat is just easier to maneuver and use. But you can take a raft places they can’t go and you don’t have to worry about hitting rocks/ boulders.

Oregon

WKR
I’ve owned drift boats for 30 years. Great versatile boat with a 6hp long shaft kicker motor.
Ive used it to transport me to duck hunting spots.

Good buddy built a PVC scissor blind for his drift boat. I absolutely hate hunting out of that thing. Like most drift boats, it slopes up on bow and stern. He’d sit in middle(flat) I couldn’t get comfortable sitting and standing on an angle. Plus it rocks like crazy when standing up.
pain to get the dog back in. When it rainS or dog gets back in, the standing water is miserable. No floor boards/bilge pump.

Also something to consider,a lot of drift boats have an interior rail system(aluminum boats)
On my boat a dog could almost slip a paw in it and snap a leg jumping out.

I own 4 boats for a reason. My duck boat is a Jon and also have a sneak boat.

Hnttillmt

FNG
Another vote for the drift boat. If your not already a proficient rower go with a high side model. Your dog shouldn’t have any problem getting in or out of either. I usually had more problems with keeping my dog in the boat when ducks started dropping. Wood just isn’t as durable as fiberglass and an aluminum boat will be a lot cheaper but floating Montana rivers late in waterfowl season they will get cold as hell. Someday I’ll own a raft. They are more versatile, but until then my drift boat is way better for fishing the big Montana rivers.

chinook907

Lil-Rokslider
Aluminum drift boat. But realize you are then limited to places that have a launch, or places that you can at least drop it on the bank very close to the water.

Bigger is better in my opinion. The bigger ones have lower sides, so its easier to get yourself and your dog in and out.

Walk thru seating is a nice option, instead of having to climb over.

And lots of folks mount a mister heater in them, usually under the bow, for the cold days.

Where do you live and what size (cfs) / class (rapids), rivers will you be using it on?

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk
I live in Durango and have worked on and off at the whitewater retail shop here for 15 years. Also, rowed drift boats Locally and dories commercially in the grand.
I think this all depends on the rivers you want to be on. Any names you can drop?
rafts are much more versatile and user friendly. Drifty’s just have an awesome style and can be designed to be pretty friendly too.

Guided fishing for 20 years and have used and owned both. All things equal (which they never are) as many have stated nothing beats a good drift boat. I am not a fan of the aluminum ones but that personal preference. With that said many of the rivers I guided for steelhead could only be accessed via a raft due to no ramps and the ability to slide them down banks and then winch them back up. Plus you can just beat the crap out of them. Of course wind the wind blows they can be nightmare.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Definitely go the drift boat route. Rafts take more effort to row and are purpose built. For what you wanna do a drift boat will be a lot more beneficial. Dogs like a solid floor as opposed to rubber thwarts or mesh floors.

I've owned both and... overall... I would recommend a raft. Primarily because you seem to be asking for something to 'do it all'. But I fully agree with other comments on this thread: it can depend in large part on the waters you plan on floating.

I owned a 14' raft self-bailier with a flyfishing frame and loved it. They are very stable. Me, my buddy, and my Labrador could all lean over the edge and feel completely solid. You won't get that with a drift boat. Also, a raft can float in very skinny water, which you will find in the fall/winter. You just glide over rocks that in a drifter you'll bash and have you reaching for something to steady yourself. You can also pack a lot more gear, so that gives you more multi-night camping options (think Smith River).

The drift boat I owned was a 16' fiberglass Clackacraft. And drift boats are great if your primary purpose is fishing, no doubt. They are much more maneuverable and even with decent current, you can 'hold' in place. I also found them to be lower maintenance, especially with a cover. And many can be fitted with a motor, as mentioned, which saves you from having to deal with a shuttle. Which, again, depending on your circumstances, can be a huge logistical hassle.

If you go driftboat, I would not recommend a wooden driftboat, no matter how pretty they can look. Too high maintenance and if you're in whitewater or even just a standard MT trout stream, they're going to get beat up. In the late 90's when I lived in Missoula, everything I saw was fiberglass. When I moved to Idaho in 2002, all I saw was aluminum. Aluminum boats are, generally, almost bombproof. But, any nicks on the chimes and you really gotta watch your fishing leader. And they're cold and noisy as hell in winter. I'd go fiberglass.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Here's my rig, NRS dropstitch inflatable driftboat. They made a 14 and 16 ft model.

It's great for fishing the shallow rocky waters here in the southwest. Been to Montana, Utah, Idaho, new Mexico,etc. It's a sort of jack of all trades, master of none. Has a hard transom and you can mount a small motor to it.
fe03de4e0bf8cab185261a69cba8414e.jpg

jtl

FNG
There isn't anything a drift boat can do that a raft can't do. There are things a raft can do that a drift boat can't. So if true versatility is your #1, a raft makes sense.

That being said, a raft is more effort to row than a drift boat, is usually more cramped, and less comfortable.

OP

2ski

WKR
Thanks for the responses guys. I appreciate them all and I'm getting alot of great info.

In answer to the questions, my primary rivers would be the Gallatin, Madison( lower and upper), Yellowstone below Yankee Jim, Blackfoot, Missouri above Canyon Ferry and below Holter Dam. Mostly the Bozeman area rivers. Though I might move to Butte which would add the Big Hole and Beaverhead to the list. Basically I'd be fishing. Not really interested in whitewater. I have friends who raft I would go with for that.

Is it possible to fish by yourself in either setup? A raft or driftboat.

While I still would generally steer you towards a raft, if this was something you were primarily fishing out of and also by yourself.... a drift boat may be a better choice. And I only say that because they are much easier to maneuver and hold in place. You can drop that anchor out in most currents and stay stationary while you work a run or whatever. With a raft, unless it's really slow water, you pretty much have to pull over to shore and anchor. Also, I remember feeling that lunching and taking out my drift boat was easier when on a solo trip.

Again, for something that can do close to everything and in all water conditions, I would still recommend a self-bailing raft with a fly fishing frame like the one I had from Down River Equipment out of Colorado. But, living in Bozeman with a nice fiberglass Clackacraft would be pretty sweet!

One other thing.... have you brought this question up with any of the guides at the fly shops? They might give you some good insight. As much as they used drifters back when I was there, there was a few guides starting to use rafts.

Tight lines!!

Thanks for the responses guys. I appreciate them all and I'm getting alot of great info.

In answer to the questions, my primary rivers would be the Gallatin, Madison( lower and upper), Yellowstone below Yankee Jim, Blackfoot, Missouri above Canyon Ferry and below Holter Dam. Mostly the Bozeman area rivers. Though I might move to Butte which would add the Big Hole and Beaverhead to the list. Basically I'd be fishing. Not really interested in whitewater. I have friends who raft I would go with for that.

Is it possible to fish by yourself in either setup? A raft or driftboat.
For that area, driftboat for sure. Just go down to the rivers and watch what the guides are using. I've floated most of those rivers and I don't remember seeing anything but driftboats.