Pack raft frame ?

So I have decided to buy an alpaca raft. After a bunch of research here and other forums I have decided on the forager.

My worry is I don’t think my back is going to let me sit in the bottom of the boat with my legs out flat for any length of time. I’m going to need some legit back and butt support.

I have owned larger rafts with rowing/fishing frames and really love that style but just doesn’t suit my needs anymore.

I’m wondering if a guy could put a tiny little aluminum frame together with a small seat and possibly a set of oars.
I’m guessing it would have to be pretty low in the boat so it wasn’t tippy. I think 6-8” off the bottom would be really helpful.

Has anybody seen this done or something similar ?

You're spending all that coin on a product to stay light, and then considering an add-on solution that is relatively heavy. Maybe you don't value the lightweight aspect of the product?

I have an older model Outcast frameless one-man raft, I guess I call it a kickboat. Anyway the seat cushion is a stiff durable foam, like block foam, and it has a folding seat back also filled with foam, and it is supported by straps between the ass part and the back part. Kinda like this current offering but mine has 3" thick (or so) foam so more robust.

Clearwater-Oarstand-closeup-scaled-scaled.jpg

OP
Hunt eat repeat
You're spending all that coin on a product to stay light, and then considering an add-on solution that is relatively heavy. Maybe you don't value the lightweight aspect of the product?

I have an older model Outcast frameless one-man raft, I guess I call it a kickboat. Anyway the seat cushion is a stiff durable foam, like block foam, and it has a folding seat back also filled with foam, and it is supported by straps between the ass part and the back part. Kinda like this current offering but mine has 3" thick (or so) foam so more robust.

Clearwater-Oarstand-closeup-scaled-scaled.jpg
I do value the lightness of the raft for sure but it’s not the most important aspect. If I was in a situation that weight was of the utmost importance I’d probably just suffer ha!
But say a summer float trip that I was on the water all day, the weight isn’t as important I could throw the frame on.

I guess I’m trying to get around owning two rafts. If I some day do an Alaska float hunt I’m good. If I float a river in summer to fish/ sight see I’m good.

OP
Hunt eat repeat

AKDoc

WKR
The Alpaca raft is a good choice...made in the USA (Colorado)...good reputation and good people. I'm confident you will figure out a way to adapt and improvise, so you can sit higher with back support without having to add an aluminum frame.

I went a different route ten years ago and bought a PR-49HD (around 15lbs) and a Kork (not a packraft...heavier and more durable material)...also good products, etc...just not made in the USA. Both are designed with a mesh seat and mesh area for cargo, which are great. I'm never sitting on the floor of my raft. I also arrange a dry/submersible bag in a way that I have back support and sometimes bring an inflatable butt-pad...I'm an old guy lol!

I've comfortably done many 10-day, hundred-mile fly fishing floats up here...

IMG_2308.jpgIMG_6218.jpg

OP
Hunt eat repeat
A small raft sounds like a better idea. Would an aire puma work for you?
I would like something like that. I’ve had similar rafts in the past. Nearly double the price of the alpaca and a bit bigger than I need. Since I moved a few years ago I’m not real close to many rivers.

Mt Al

WKR
That’s pretty cool. It would never occur to me to make my own raft. Pretty ambitious. Thanks for the link. I’ll check it out.

DIY packrafts are fun projects at the right time in life, but IMHO the Alpackas and Pristine Ventures that AKDoc showed are well worth the price. The value per dollar is pretty amazing.

The Forager you're buying is self bailing, too! Alpackas are very well made and you can still customize with a light rowing frame, or get a think inflatable seat.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’d buy a pr49 or a Kork over that forager.

I have a forager and IMO, it’s bulllshit for hunting compared to a pr49 (which o also have) or a Kork (which I’m getting).

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The forager is designed for the person to sit on the back of the boat, the stern? With their feet on the inflatable floor. The problem with that boat is that it’s so damn tippy it’s nearly impossible to sit on it like that.

People say that if you throw like 100lbs in the tubes it stops the tipping as but I’ve never brought anywhere even close to 100lbs on a float trip.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
Thinhorn not sure what about a Forager makes it bullshit for hunting! I’ve put a few animals and several hundred river miles on mine, it’s never failed.

OP: you won’t be able to paddle a Forager sitting on the floor. For two person paddling, one sits on the stern and one on the seat (don’t buy one without the seat). For single paddling, I move the seat about 2/3 of the way to the rear and it works fine.

To save my back, I got this stadium seat off of Amazon, and attach it to the loops on the stern of my raft. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003AQWIW4?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

A quick word of caution, as a rec whitewater guy, that seat scares the hell out of me on anything above CL I+. It’s entrapment city. Need to practice with your gear, wear a PFD, and have a river knife in a spot where you can reach it while you’re drowning and freezing.

Last thought: if you need a packraft, I can’t recommend Alpacka highly enough. Love pristine ventures - I’ve paddled a PR49 and they’re great boats. But they are in no way packrafts. You’ll never roll one up and hike 10 miles in to float back to your truck. Different boats for different styles! Good luck.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thinhorn not sure what about a Forager makes it bullshit for hunting! I’ve put a few animals and several hundred river miles on mine, it’s never failed.

OP: you won’t be able to paddle a Forager sitting on the floor. For two person paddling, one sits on the stern and one on the seat (don’t buy one without the seat). For single paddling, I move the seat about 2/3 of the way to the rear and it works fine.

To save my back, I got this stadium seat off of Amazon, and attach it to the loops on the stern of my raft. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003AQWIW4?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

A quick word of caution, as a rec whitewater guy, that seat scares the hell out of me on anything above CL I+. It’s entrapment city. Need to practice with your gear, wear a PFD, and have a river knife in a spot where you can reach it while you’re drowning and freezing.

Last thought: if you need a packraft, I can’t recommend Alpacka highly enough. Love pristine ventures - I’ve paddled a PR49 and they’re great boats. But they are in no way packrafts. You’ll never roll one up and hike 10 miles in to float back to your truck. Different boats for different styles! Good luck.
How do you sit on it while you paddle? Sitting on the stern you end up so top heavy it’s nearly impossible to deal with even on flat water. Sitting on the floor is just flat out ineffective.

I’ve heard that throwing a hundred lbs in the tubes helps but I’ve never done a float trip with anywhere near 100lbs of gear to put in the tubes.

Not trying to be argumentative, but do you have any pics or details of how you handled heavy loads in that boat or better yet, the boat before you had a heavy load in it? I was actually astonished when I tried to use that boat bs my pr49.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s two adult males somewhere in a 75ish mile Nabesna float, I’m sitting on the stern and a friend is on the inflatable seat:

IMG_1460.jpeg

We probably had around 40 pounds in each tube for this. We were on a 4 man, 3 raft trip (Forager, Classic, Mule). Started with a ~7 mile hike from truck to water which would’ve been impossible with 9 days of food and gear with anything but packrafts.

The Forager is not as tippy as you’ve been led to believe sir. Give sitting on the stern a shot, it’s not quite as stable as a PR raft, but feels almost exactly the same as a hard sided canoe.

MJW

FNG
Here’s two adult males somewhere in a 75ish mile Nabesna float, I’m sitting on the stern and a friend is on the inflatable seat:

View attachment 663670

We probably had around 40 pounds in each tube for this. We were on a 4 man, 3 raft trip (Forager, Classic, Mule). Started with a ~7 mile hike from truck to water which would’ve been impossible with 9 days of food and gear with anything but packrafts.

The Forager is not as tippy as you’ve been led to believe sir. Give sitting on the stern a shot, it’s not quite as stable as a PR raft, but feels almost exactly the same as a hard sided canoe.
That’s is exactly how I run mine. It doesn’t feel tipsy to me. I find the forager very comfortable and controllable. The only time I sit on the floor is drifting and napping. 😁 Now if I were to configure a seat and back support I would strap down a bag on the stern and jam a light shooting bag on the floor. Ex.

Wiebad modular Pump Pillow, These are lightweight and easy to pack.​

Wiebad Modular Pump Pillow Rest Bag, MultiCam
https://a.co/d/9SNs7qg

This is a cool bag because you can carry it with nothing in it and it packs down small, lightweight. You can stuff anything in it to use as a rearbag, like puffers or clothes. One note, it’s not really water proof so if there is a chance of getting wet I would put the items in a dry bag and then stuff them in there. Just a thought.

Good luck! Alpaca’s are nice rafts. I own three of them, a mule and two forgers.

Last edited:

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
That’s is exactly how I run mine. It doesn’t feel tipsy to me. I find the forager very comfortable and controllable. The only time I sit on the floor is drifting and napping. 😁 Now if I were to configure a seat and back support I would strap down a bag on the stern and jam a light shooting bag on the floor. Ex.

Wiebad modular Pump Pillow, These are lightweight and easy to pack.​

Wiebad Modular Pump Pillow Rest Bag, MultiCam
https://a.co/d/9SNs7qg

This is a cool bag because you can carry it with nothing in it and it packs down small, lightweight. You can stuff anything in it to use as a rearbag, like puffers or clothes. One note, it’s not really water proof so if there is a chance of getting wet I would put the items in a dry bag and then stuff them in there. Just a thought.

Good luck! Alpaca’s are nice rafts. I own three of them, a mule and two forgers.
They also make a kickass spot to take a nap. I'm a little too tall to fully stretch out on the floor with the seat removed, but its pretty close. I've done uber-ultralight trips where I left a sleeping pad at home and just slept on my Forager floor with a tarp pitched over the top. Works pretty well!

Reactions: MJW