Driving thru CO with a Head

I plan to hunt in ID this coming fall and on the way home I want to stop and visit a friend in the Colorado Springs Area. If I happen to take a bull in ID, will there be any issues with me driving through CO with a head that was killed out of state? I'll only be at my friends place for 24ish hours and then on my way. I assume there wouldn't be but I assume locals would know better. It will obviously be tagged appropriately for ID

Tagged properly and I’d highly suggest getting all brain matter out of the brain cavity. I use a pressure washer and a metal coat hanger on a drill, works wonders. Most states have issues with having the brain or spinal tissue or fluid as that’s CWD related so the better you have it cleaned the less hassle you would get

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
BigAntlerGetter is right. Pretty sure you can be fined and have it confiscated if any nervous tissue is still stuck in there.

Jethro

WKR
Tagged properly and I’d highly suggest getting all brain matter out of the brain cavity. I use a pressure washer and a metal coat hanger on a drill, works wonders. Most states have issues with having the brain or spinal tissue or fluid as that’s CWD related so the better you have it cleaned the less hassle you would get

Do you know if CO has those CWD transport rules printed anywhere? I agree fully with your post and many states have that in their regs. I just can't remember ever seeing it in print for CO.

Do you know if CO has those CWD transport rules printed anywhere? I agree fully with your post and many states have that in their regs. I just can't remember ever seeing it in print for CO.

I’m believe I’ve seen it recently, it would be in regs in the cwd area. I know clients from other states have to have all the brain matter out and I think CPW was talking about it or just did it that you were required to have the head taxidermies, euro mounted or have no brain tissue to transport out of state

I’m believe I’ve seen it recently, it would be in regs in the cwd area. I know clients from other states have to have all the brain matter out and I think CPW was talking about it or just did it that you were required to have the head taxidermies, euro mounted or have no brain tissue to transport out of state

Speck1

Lil-Rokslider
I have brought bulls from Idaho and Utah back thru Colorado. Spent several days fishing in Colorado on my way home. Nobody seemed the least bit interested. Don’t recall ever seeing a CWD checkpoint in Colorado. I bring all the long bones home as well for the marrow. Power wash the skull if it’s convenient but I wouldn’t worry too much.

Sorry for hijacking your thread. Several years ago I was returning to ND from a cow elk hunt in CO. Had the whole cow in the back of my pickup with legs visible. As I was driving through MT I came upon a "game check ahead" sign which was being conducted in a rest area. Figured screw-em as I wasn't from MT and wasn't hunting in MT. Went right on by with the elk visible and the wardens didn't do a thing. Maybe I was lucky but not sure what they could do to me under those circumstances.

Jethro

WKR

I’d swear I’ve seen it too, but can’t find it. Regardless, cleaning up the brain and no spinal tissues is what we do for being legal getting back into PA. Doing the same, @doc holiday13 should be good for his trip back.

Jethro

WKR
Sorry for hijacking your thread. Several years ago I was returning to ND from a cow elk hunt in CO. Had the whole cow in the back of my pickup with legs visible. As I was driving through MT I came upon a "game check ahead" sign which was being conducted in a rest area. Figured screw-em as I wasn't from MT and wasn't hunting in MT. Went right on by with the elk visible and the wardens didn't do a thing. Maybe I was lucky but not sure what they could do to me under those circumstances.
You’re lucky they weren’t filming an episode of Yellowstone Wardens. They love to run down check station blow bys on that show.

Been driving them back for 40 years. Never stopped. If you were driving a dead body home you wouldn’t strap it on the roof of your car would you? Just use some common sense.

There are a couple of units in Idaho that have CWD regulations. 14 and 15. Just something to keep in mind.

Huntnnw

WKR
I have brought bulls from Idaho and Utah back thru Colorado. Spent several days fishing in Colorado on my way home. Nobody seemed the least bit interested. Don’t recall ever seeing a CWD checkpoint in Colorado. I bring all the long bones home as well for the marrow. Power wash the skull if it’s convenient but I wouldn’t worry too much.
yeah thats the way to look at that! I know a guy who had his entire elk taken and a $5k fine for transporting bones. Hide it and dont stop at check stations

buffybr

FNG
Been driving them back for 40 years. Never stopped. If you were driving a dead body home you wouldn’t strap it on the roof of your car would you? Just use some common sense.
A few years ago I did caribou hunt in Quebec. I had flown out of Denver, and on my trip home to Montana from denver, my caribou antlers wouldn't fit inside my Subaru so I had to tie them on top.

On my way home I got a lot of thumbs up, and at a couple of gas stops a several people asked if they could take a picture of it.
jKTuvBqh.jpg

Wheels

WKR
Under the Transporting Game category:
Nonresident hunters should follow their home state regulations in place for transporting harvested deer, elk or moose back from a state known to have CWD.

You should follow BigAntler's advice.

But there are a lot of racks in trucks on Colorado's highways in the fall. I can't imagine you would ever get stopped or questioned.

Woitey

FNG
Several years ago, I was returning from an instate guided hunt in Colorado. I had the bull professionally processed, and the rack was in the bed. I was stopped outside the Eisenhower tunnel. There were two CPW chase vehicles. They used lights and siren. Game Warden went through everything meticulously. I'm not one to save receipts, but this time I did, and it saved me. It was every bit of a 15-minute stop. I would imagine the Game Warden's probable cause was seeing my rack in the pickup bed. After that, it was all show your papers...It wasn't really aggressive, it was more of a fishing expedition. Had I not had everything from the processor things would of been different.