Tri-state area to West Hunts - car thefts

j_volt

WKR
Hot tip: tell the doctor you have a hard time focusing and take what he prescribes you on the drive. No need for sleep.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
My wife bought me this gadget that hangs from the headrests and turns the back seat of the pickup into a flat bed. I spent 15 nights on that thing last fall in WA, MT and MO. No hotels, no problems, just sleep in the truck. Just plan ahead for stopping places where you can spend the night. I will admit though, I'm only about 5' 8" so I could sleep diagonally with no discomfort. Any taller and it may have been a bit squirrely.

wytx

WKR
Wyoming issues are mainly in warmer months, by winter those transient types go find warmer climes for living and stealing.
Yes, lately an uptick in crime but by Fall and winter they slow down , at least here in Laramie.

Hope this trend stays the same though, you never know.

zkutz1

FNG
You could always do air bnb. It’s gonna cost more, but at least you’ll have the peace of mind being parked in a private driveway. Most of them have cameras on fronts of places as well. Air bnb in low population towns is what I did when I traveled across the country with a vehicle full of valuables.

Rich M

WKR
Maybe you are succumbing tofear? This stuff is just as likely to happen where you live. Crackheads and homeless abound.

99% of people who stop at hotels dont get robbed. Smart people dont stop in ghettoes and blue cities with gun and gear filled trucks.

If you are worried about a smashed window, get a sheet of plastic currogated cardboard and a roll of duct tape. I’ve read about folks complain about driving home without fixing a broken window somehow - really.

Either you control your fears or they control you.

When i travel i locked valuables down or carry them w me. Rifle and glass goes w me. Stuff i cant live without locked down. Everything else eh.

Your yeti - cable lock it in the bed of your truck. It’s just a cooler and or cast iron pan you overpaid for.

Pro tip: bring ear plugs if you plan to drive highway speeds with a contract bag covering a broken window. Seriously.

Brooks

WKR
Maybe you are succumbing tofear? This stuff is just as likely to happen where you live. Crackheads and homeless abound.

99% of people who stop at hotels dont get robbed. Smart people dont stop in ghettoes and blue cities with gun and gear filled trucks.

If you are worried about a smashed window, get a sheet of plastic currogated cardboard and a roll of duct tape. I’ve read about folks complain about driving home without fixing a broken window somehow - really.

Either you control your fears or they control you.

When i travel i locked valuables down or carry them w me. Rifle and glass goes w me. Stuff i cant live without locked down. Everything else eh.

Your yeti - cable lock it in the bed of your truck. It’s just a cooler and or cast iron pan you overpaid for.
I don’t think you’ve spent much time in Albuquerque. I don’t live there but in the last year I’ve had to pull my weapon twice and had my Superduty broke into at a high priced,classy hotel. But I agree not everyone gets robbed.

Rich M

WKR
@Brooks
Spent some time in Scottsdale on several occaissions. But years ago in a different world.

My uncle went on one of the last quebec caribou hunts - was told to totally empty his truck and leave the doors open, or they’d break in and take anything not bolted down. The group had a hotel room right next to the manager’s office where they put that stuff and split the bill.

Is it enough to stay home and miss out on some of the finer things in life?

Probably a better chance of getting bed bugs at a seedy motel then getting broken into.

I've hunted in NM, WY and CO, spent time working in NM and CO and I've never had an issue.

I cable lock anything in the bed, guns and pack with optics come in the room. Park under lights and as close to the entrance as you can. Bring your stuff in through a side door so the front desk doesn't see what you're bringing in.

I'd be more worried about your drive out. Indy, Columbus, St Louis, Little Rock, KC and most those cities you could stop in on the way out make me much more nervous.

Brooks

WKR
Probably a better chance of getting bed bugs at a seedy motel then getting broken into.

I've hunted in NM, WY and CO, spent time working in NM and CO and I've never had an issue.

I cable lock anything in the bed, guns and pack with optics come in the room. Park under lights and as close to the entrance as you can. Bring your stuff in through a side door so the front desk doesn't see what you're bringing in.

I'd be more worried about your drive out. Indy, Columbus, St Louis, Little Rock, KC and most those cities you could stop in on the way out make me much more nervous.
lol… you have everything chained down and unload the truck every night, but… don’t worry it’s not bad . I hear about ABQ everyday and if you don’t think the thugs there are for real….good luck.

lol… you have everything chained down and unload the truck every night, but… don’t worry it’s not bad . I hear about ABQ everyday and if you don’t think the thugs there are for real….good luck.
Never said it wasn't bad. I said you have a better chance of getting bed bugs at a seedy motel then you do of having a break in. It was said in jest. I chain lock an ice chest or whatever and take in expensive valuables. I do that at my rural home in Oklahoma where I'll never have a problem.
I just try to be prepared.

I had a pistol stolen out of the bottom of a suitcase in a hotel fifteen years ago. It was an 8 shot 357 Magnum. My dad had a matching one with consecutive serial numbers. I reported it stolen. A year later a detective called me. It had been used in a robbery homicide. He said I would get it back once the ballistics came back if it wasn't used in the murder. I never got it back.

I could blame the maid for being a POS and digging through my clothes looking for belongings or I could accept responsibility for allowing that situation to even happen and leaving a gun with someone having access to it. I don't allow folks the opportunity anymore.