driving to newfoundland from the midwest

keller

WKR
will be driving from northern wi to newfoundland .its about the same time and distance to go north and through canada or go south through chicago and back up.anybody have recommendation on which is better or nicer drive.fuel availibility pros/cons etc....
thanks john

Scenery on the northern route is leaps and bounds better and you also miss Chicago and Toronto traffic, both of which can be horrendous - especially Toronto. Fuel in Canada was more expensive but I’m not sure after the Coronavirus, I know the Canadian dollar really took a hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mgray

FNG
Last year our group took the southern route, through Cleveland and Buffalo, then up through Maine. We were also coming from about an hour west of Madison, so we started closer to the southern route. We figured we would stay in the country as long as possible before we got to Canada. We never had a problem finding fuel in the US, but there was one time in New Brunswick that we cut it a little close between fuel stops. I've never made the trip through Canada, but would imagine the scenery would be nice up there.

kevin-wi

FNG
We went from northern WI on the northern route last year , very easy drive except for Montreal. On the way home we took a bypass on the south side and that was good.

I know of a group of hunters, all their gear was stolen in Windsor, just over the boarder. They went for dinner, and their truck was broken into during dinner.

OP
K

keller

WKR
sounds like a good trip either way i guess.i heard their is alot of tolls the southern route? how much time did you budget for the drive?i am trying to figure out which ferry to take without sitting somewhere for 12 hours .i called the ferry company and they said if you get their early you can change a reservation if their is room.
thanks john
We went from northern WI on the northern route last year , very easy drive except for Montreal. On the way home we took a bypass on the south side and that was good.

TheGreek

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Chicago and spend most of my life fighting traffic on the highways and expressways in the area. Rush hour traffic is brutal. A 30 min ride from the north side of the city to the south side during off hours can be 2 plus hours in rush hour traffic. Also, there is no difference between in bound and out bound traffic. A lot of people think traffic will only be bad into the city in the mornings and out of the city in the evenings. Not here. It’s horrible inbound and outbound every weekday morning and evening. Traffic is much better weekend mornings. Long story short, be very cognizant of what time you will be hitting the Chicago area.