Drone Scouting

OP
D
Illegal in a lot of western states. Not to mention unethical, in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
Flying a drone before season is legal in my state, but is treated as the same as spotting game from an aircraft during season. Why would you say that it is unethical? Just curious would using trail cameras be the same thing?

TaperPin

WKR
Yes, its illegal to scout with a drone. Fly anywhere and take pretty videos - that’s ok on social media. If that that happens to be over your favorite ridge just say you’re going to instagram or YouTube it.

Has anyone been prosecuting drone pilots? Every teenage boy seems to have a drone now - I would definitely be going to juvy if they were available back in high school.

We should be allowed to shoot drones or anything related to illegal drone use - I’d carry a shotgun with magnum goose loads everywhere. The one sob that found it funny to hover 10’ over my head on the side of a mountain would laugh less if his car was covered with shot dents.

As much as everyone yells at the average guy for wanting to fly a drone, outfitters have been using planes to scout since the wright brothers bought their first hamburger in the outer banks.

I’d love to outlaw all drones and small planes, but then only outlaws would have them.

OP
D
Wow you sound like you have had some bad encounters. Not everyone that has a drone is an a-hole when they fly. Just like all hunters are not when they mistakenly run a atv in your favorite area.

TaperPin

WKR
Wow you sound like you have had some bad encounters. Not everyone that has a drone is an a-hole when they fly. Just like all hunters are not when they mistakenly run a atv in your favorite area.
Actually I kinda want one - the technology is really cool. You are 100% right - it’s just the bad apples that cause problems.

Reactions: BLJ
Flying a drone before season is legal in my state, but is treated as the same as spotting game from an aircraft during season. Why would you say that it is unethical? Just curious would using trail cameras be the same thing?
Trail cameras don’t move while giving real time aerial views. If you have ever used a drone you can see very quickly why this would be hugely unfair.

Geewhiz

WKR
I had a guy in archery season flying a drone around over my head when I was hunting. I was more than pissed.

Flyjunky

WKR
Trail cameras don’t move while giving real time aerial views. If you have ever used a drone you can see very quickly why this would be hugely unfair.
No, they can just stay in one spot ( or multiple areas depending on how many ) for months at a time in the areas where animals live. Unless animals are out in the open it’s pretty tough to see into forested areas with a drone.

Honestly, I think both should be outlawed for hunting purposes.

Nockemdwn

FNG
Pretty sure using a drone in Ky. is illegal. But if you don’t have any weapons around I wonder if it’s illegal ?

But if you don’t have any weapons around I wonder if it’s illegal ?
I don't know the laws in any states regarding drones but just knowing how they can be used I think they should not be allowed during any big game hunting season. An unarmed operator could be communicating with a hunter & giving real time info which would be highly unfair & unethical.
A local guy just started a drone recovery business to track wounded animals but I still think that could be abused.

While we're at it can we please make it illegal to bring over 1-2 people with you on a hunt if they don't have a tag? It really chaps my ass to see a dude draw a primo tag & bring a shit ton of crew with him which are clearly giving him an advantage over other single hunters.
You see these YT videos where they bring along their dad, 2 brothers, best man at their wedding, hairs stylist, weight trainer, best friend from 2nd grade, 3 wranglers, a cook, 4 camera men, a meteorologist, their psychic, 2 drinking buddies, a mechanic, a butcher & a camp bitch. Then all 23 of them stand around the dead elk for a picture.

Nockemdwn

FNG
Well I did find this !
This is for KY.

SB 42 364​

AN ACT relating to the lawful taking of wildlife.

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Kentucky:

Section 1. KRS 150.363 is amended to read as follows:

For purposes of this section;

A) “Computer-assisted remote hunting” means the use of a computer or any other device, equipment, or software to remotely control the aiming and discharge or a rifle, shotgun, handgun, bow and arrow, crossbow, or any other implement to hunt or harvest wildlife in the Commonwealth; and

B) “Unmanned aircraft systems” means any aircraft that is operated without the possibility of direct human intervention from within or on the aircraft.

2) It shall be unlawful for any person to track, hunt or harvest wildlife in the Commonwealth by means of computer-assisted remote hunting or the utilization of unmanned aircraft systems.

3) It shall be unlawful for any person to provide or operate a facility that allows others to engage in computer-assisted remote hunting of wildlife in the Commonwealth.

4) The provisions of this section shall not be construed to limit or prohibit the hunting rights or privileges provided to citizens with disabilities pursuant to KRS 150.025, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and Kentucky administrative regulations. Additionally, this section shall not be construed to prohibit a person who is physically impaired, to the degree that he or she cannot operate a device allowed for taking of game under Kentucky law, from taking game, subject to administrative regulations, with a device with is in the immediate vicinity of the permittee and which the permittee operates using remote-control technology other than the Internet.

Section 2. KRS 150.710 is amended to read as follows:

1) No person shall intentionally obstruct or disrupt by any means the right of a person to lawfully take wildlife by hunting, trapping, or fishing.

2) The use of unmanned aircraft systems as defined in Section 1 of this Act to conduct video surveillance of a person lawfully engaged in hunting, trapping, or fishing shall constitute obstruction within the meaning of subsection (1) of this section.

3) The Attorney General or any person directly affected may bring an action to restrain conduct unlawful under this section and may bring an action to recover damages.

4) The officers of the Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources, or any other peace officer, police officer, state police officer, or sheriff may enforce this section.

5) This section shall not apply to incidental interference with the taking of wildlife by hunting, trapping, or fishing causes by lawful activists including, but not limited to, farming, mining, or recreation.

Nockemdwn

FNG
Hmmmm … So if you look at this. For Ky.

2) It shall be unlawful for any person to track, hunt or harvest wildlife in the Commonwealth by means of computer-assisted remote hunting.

You would think that would include cell cameras.

Hmmmm … So if you look at this. For Ky.

2) It shall be unlawful for any person to track, hunt or harvest wildlife in the Commonwealth by means of computer-assisted remote hunting.

You would think that would include cell cameras.
What is computer assisted remote hunting? Google maps? OnX? Googling the wind direction?

Rich M

WKR
Funny how folks say drones and cell cams are bad but they use aerial photos, gps, and onX maps on they cell phones.

Funny.