drone surveillance anyone?

in the store the other day i overheard a man said he was striper fishing,next thing he knew,there was a drone overhead?
we all enjoy our outdoor pursuits,has anyone else known or felt they were being watched by a drone and are government drones marked?

colonel00

WKR
in the store the other day i overheard a man said he was striper fishing,next thing he knew,there was a drone overhead?
we all enjoy our outdoor pursuits,has anyone else known or felt they were being watched by a drone and are government drones marked?

While I enjoy hunting and fishing as much as anyone, I also enjoy flying a drone when on public land where it is legal to do so. I'm sorry that it might annoy some people but that is how I choose to enjoy the outdoors and public lands at times. I understand that the noise could possibly be disrupting to a peaceful day of fishing but that is similar to an "anti" argument that gun shots are disruptive to a peaceful day of hiking. It's a slippery slope when we start restricting things because of how it might disrupt others using the area.

Now, as far as them actually watching you, well, maybe. However, unless they are flying a very high tech drone with a very expensive camera, they really aren't going to be able to see much without being very close to you. Below is a video I shot a few weeks ago of my buddies and I playing with our Tac-14 and Shockwave "shotguns". The drone was maybe 30 feet up and at different positions around us. Shot in 4K, you still don't see that much without some serious enhancements. It's like filming with a GoPro. It's meant to take in a wide view, not super zoom images.

Clay Pigeons with the Remington TAC-14 and Mossberg Shockwave - YouTube

Besides, unless you are doing something illegal (in the example of fishing, hunting or whatever on public land), why does it matter?

What is the legality of shooting one out of the sky? I haven’t seen any rules against shooting them. Maybe it would depend if it was over private or public land.

It is a federal offense just like shooting at any other aircraft.

A quick quote:

To reach this justification, the FAA turned to 18 U.S.C. 32, a law that in part expands “United States jurisdiction over aircraft sabotage to include destruction of any aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States.” The FAA, as the part of government that oversees that sky, could have made an exception when applying this law to small, uncrewed aircraft. That it didn’t fits into a larger pattern: whenever the FAA is given the opportunity to treat drones as regular aircraft, it chooses to do so. That means pilot’s licenses for drone business operators, and it means that when the FAA bans aircraft for miles around the Super Bowl, that ban applies to drones too.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really hope they make people get licenses to fly over public land at the very least it getting out of control. No common courtesy anymore have to make laws for everything

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

colonel00

WKR
I really hope they make people get licenses to fly over public land at the very least it getting out of control. No common courtesy anymore have to make laws for everything

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Perhaps, but would a license fix a person's lack of common courtesy or prevent people from breaking the law and flying without a license or proper training? In general, there are just way too many asshats in the world and all of the regulations out there to restrict people and protect people only allows the law abiding folks to be more restricted and the law breaking asshats to continue to do what they want. Kinda sounds like gun control doesn't it...

elkyinzer

WKR
If the government wanted to surveil its citizens, they don't need drones, they would just hack that perfect surveillance device we all carry around in our pockets. But yes, drones are annoying as heck, and if it flies over my property or I feel my privacy is being violated, it's getting dusted.

dotman

WKR
I’m not a big fan of drones but I’m also not a fan of destroying others personal property, kind of surprised how many say they will destroy others property.

For those that feel it’s ok to destroy property because something someone does, that you don’t like. I hope you are ok if an anti hunter destroys your property while hunting on public land, both are against the law, but don’t be mad if comes someone does to you what you would do to another.

I’ve seen this on here before where people say they’ll mess with others atv’s etc, kind of sad to see that mentality from a few in this forum.

Last edited:
While I enjoy hunting and fishing as much as anyone, I also enjoy flying a drone when on public land where it is legal to do so. I'm sorry that it might annoy some people but that is how I choose to enjoy the outdoors and public lands at times. I understand that the noise could possibly be disrupting to a peaceful day of fishing but that is similar to an "anti" argument that gun shots are disruptive to a peaceful day of hiking. It's a slippery slope when we start restricting things because of how it might disrupt others using the area.

Now, as far as them actually watching you, well, maybe. However, unless they are flying a very high tech drone with a very expensive camera, they really aren't going to be able to see much without being very close to you. Below is a video I shot a few weeks ago of my buddies and I playing with our Tac-14 and Shockwave "shotguns". The drone was maybe 30 feet up and at different positions around us. Shot in 4K, you still don't see that much without some serious enhancements. It's like filming with a GoPro. It's meant to take in a wide view, not super zoom images.

Clay Pigeons with the Remington TAC-14 and Mossberg Shockwave - YouTube

Besides, unless you are doing something illegal (in the example of fishing, hunting or whatever on public land), why does it matter?

It is a federal offense just like shooting at any other aircraft.

A quick quote:
I was being sarcastic about shooting them down. If that is the clarity of the average drone then it doesn’t seem too invasive. Now I am curious in drones and kinda want one. That is a very stable video pretty cool really.