Longest Sniper Shot Record Broken?

Unckebob

WKR
[please avoid politics. This is about the shooter, the rifle and the cartridge]

Even with an insane rifle and cartridge, I am skeptical that anyone could get 2 out of 3 hits on a man sized target at 3,800 meter shots.

Information about the Rifle and Cartridge Link.

A Ukrainian sniper took out a Russian soldier from nearly 2½ miles away with a high-tech rifle known as “Horizon’s Lord” — shattering a world record for the longest sniper kill, Ukraine says.

The record-setting sniper used a Ukraine-made Volodar Obriyu rifle, which translates to “Horizon’s Lord,” to shoot the enemy soldier from 3,800 meters, or 2.3 miles — more than 40 US football fields — away.

The Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) noted the record achievement in a statement, crowing, “A new world record: a sniper of the SBU destroyed an orc [Russian soldier] from a distance of 3.8 km.

“A sniper of the SBU set a world record for a successful shot,” it said.

“He took aim at a Russian soldier from an incredible distance of 3,800 meters,” the unit said, according to the Interfax-Ukraine agency.

The previous record is believed to be held by a Canadian soldier who hit a target from a distance of 2.2 miles in Iraq in 2017.

Grainy footage of the reported record-setting shot, which has not yet been verified, was shared across Telegram channels.

Two figures can be seen in the footage, highlighted within a circle that shows the area targeted by the sniper.

A dramatic video shared by the Ukrainian military’s Office of Strategic Communications showed the enemy soldier dropping after being struck by the round, fired from the equivalent of about 30 football fields.

After three shots are fired, the two figures drop down to the ground before starting to crawl away.

It’s unclear when or where the shot was made.

In November 2022, the Ukrainian military claimed it recorded the second-longest combat kill in history after one of its snipers gunned down a Russian soldier from 1.68 miles away.

A dramatic video shared by the Ukrainian military’s Office of Strategic Communications showed the enemy soldier dropping after being struck by the round, fired from the equivalent of about 30 football fields.

“The occupier was eliminated by a precise shot of our special forces,” the government organization said.

The shot marks “a distance that now ranks second in the world ranking, confirmed by the command of the Armed Forces,” it added.

Last edited:

axeforce6

WKR
Hard to believe anything coming out of that war. I saw one earlier year claiming the same. It was through a thermal with a time of flight around 2.5 sends. You could make the guy out pretty well too. Only way for it to be real was that rifle had. A muzzle velocity around 8000fps and the thermal was more advanced than anything we know of.

After watching the video, that’s the one I saw a few months ago.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Hard to believe anything coming out of that war. I saw one earlier year claiming the same. It was through a thermal with a time of flight around 2.5 sends. You could make the guy out pretty well too. Only way for it to be real was that rifle had. A muzzle velocity around 8000fps and the thermal was more advanced than anything we know of.

After watching the video, that’s the one I saw a few months ago.
LOL, a thermal? Sorry, if you can think that video is through a thermal... well. Also, time from shot to hit is about 10 seconds.

Was the shot real, I don't know, but your supposed flaws are farcical even taken at face value.

jayhawk

WKR
Wrong. It was when I shot my 410 bull with my .338 from the hip at 5,000yds on a Colorado OTC DIY hunt this fall. Thank god my custom gun shoots 0.1 MOA

The 12.7x114 is certainly powerful enough to make that shot, as is the 14.5x114 that the Russians and Ukrainians both use. Since Ukraine is such a wide open country, it’s definitely believable that the record has been or will be broken. That being said, the video just shows what looks like a Russian getting hit from really far away, and we might never get real confirmation of the range

axeforce6

WKR
LOL, a thermal? Sorry, if you can think that video is through a thermal... well. Also, time from shot to hit is about 10 seconds.

Was the shot real, I don't know, but your supposed flaws are farcical even taken at face value.
Are you even watching the same video?

Its a 50 cal bullet.. Case is about 15mm longer than a 50bmg so its a got a bit more powder

I didn't see the video with a thermal, but I don't think people realize how good thermal is these days. As a civilian, i've been privileged to use some high and military thermals. They are futuristic, but they're nothing like the movies

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Are you even watching the same video?
The video linked in the NY Post article, and the one in question is very obviously not thermal. The other two links in the thread are FLIR and not from the event in question. Here is a screen shot from the one of the shot in question.

FLIR can be zoomed like any other optic and I have watched people in it from pretty far away.

Untitled.png