Dropped a bomb on this buck.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
I can’t ask them cause it’s the long range forum. Get put on the naughty boy list
Well you can ask some legit questions and I can put some perspective on it for you. I kill plenty of animals at close range, archery and rifle too. So I understand any view points.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Great shooting, the wind always makes or breaks someone. Experienced shows here, great results.
Thank you. It seems there is always some type of wind call at longer ranges. Just have to take the time to figure out the right one!

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
Great shot and I'm ok with a guy like you that shoots a lot and knows his equipment. I like many others I know have a problem with the guy who knows little and calls himself a long range shooter.

I've hunted with too many guys that paid the big money and bought the gunwerks system without practice or understanding of ballistics. One example Alabama heart surgeon I hunted with who got his gunwerks system and gun but hadn't really shot it. I was hunting aoudad he was hunting mule deer in Southwest Texas checking the guns on the range the evening before he couldn't hit a 12" gong at 300 yards he flinched really bad and obviously hadn't shot much. The next day he shot at and finally hit on the 7th shot a buck at 800 yards breaking the front leg we finally got the buck 2 days later. He considered himself a long range hunter I did not consider him that. It's the same thing responsible hunters deal with know what the hell you are doing and if your kill ability is 300 stick to it, yours is obviously much greater than my limit 500-600 and I'm ok with that.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Great shot for sure! At first I thought i was going to see a 1000y hammer shot but those bergers are hard to beat.
Haha the BC of the hammer keeps me from shooting them for true long range. They are good bullets though.

Why didn't you back up 26yds!? 🤣
Hahaha if anything I would prefer to get about 500 yards closer 🤣. This giant canyon didn’t allow for that though :(.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Great shot and I'm ok with a guy like you that shoots a lot and knows his equipment. I like many others I know have a problem with the guy who knows little and calls himself a long range shooter.

I've hunted with too many guys that paid the big money and bought the gunwerks system without practice or understanding of ballistics. One example Alabama heart surgeon I hunted with who got his gunwerks system and gun but hadn't really shot it. I was hunting aoudad he was hunting mule deer in Southwest Texas checking the guns on the range the evening before he couldn't hit a 12" gong at 300 yards he flinched really bad and obviously hadn't shot much. The next day he shot at and finally hit on the 7th shot a buck at 800 yards breaking the front leg we finally got the buck 2 days later. He considered himself a long range hunter I did not consider him that. It's the same thing responsible hunters deal with know what the hell you are doing and if your kill ability is 300 stick to it, yours is obviously much greater than my limit 500-600 and I'm ok with that.
Yeah that’s a very common scenario. I agree with you 100%

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Now the excuses...:LOL:
hahaha I am getting a new barrel spun up right now for that rifle and intend to take it straight to 13-1400 yards. I know it’s plausible with enough practice to be effective at 1200. I felt comfortable at 1000, but not 1200 honestly.

@huntnful Nice work!

Just curious what does your sight picture look like at 1k yards on max setting? How much of your sight window did the buck take up?

I am trying to get more proficient at long range but find distortion at higher powers hard to deal with. Might just be my shitty eyes...

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
@huntnful Nice work!

Just curious what does your sight picture look like at 1k yards on max setting? How much of your sight window did the buck take up?

I am trying to get more proficient at long range but find distortion at higher powers hard to deal with. Might just be my shitty eyes...
Get some legit premium optics if you’re having distortion issues. I don’t shoot much over 15X power at animals, even at long range. I prefer to have a wide view to see animal reactions, impacts, and for fast follow up shots if need be.

You could also be shooting in shitty conditions. A slight mirage with totally distort an image at 1000 yards.

Get some legit premium optics if you’re having distortion issues. I don’t shoot much over 15X power at animals, even at long range. I prefer to have a wide view to see animal reactions, impacts, and for fast follow up shots if need be.

You could also be shooting in shitty conditions. A slight mirage with totally distort an image at 1000 yards.
I'm shooting a NF SHV 14x, have had it for 5 years or so.

WA high desert with 70 degree average temps during season. For some reason the maxed out 14x image looks horrendous to me beyond 450 yards...