Dropped a bomb on this buck.

hahaha I am getting a new barrel spun up right now for that rifle and intend to take it straight to 13-1400 yards. I know it’s plausible with enough practice to be effective at 1200. I felt comfortable at 1000, but not 1200 honestly.
You going with another Hells Canyon?

Flyjunky

WKR
I’m actually using Ty Shaw at Flatline Precision for this next setup. Seems like a great dude and developed his own 300 NMI reamer that I’d like to try out.
35 degree shoulder on his design?

How is it different than Alex’s reamer?

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
35 degree shoulder on his design?

How is it different than Alex’s reamer?
Id be lying if I told you I remember the exact specs of his design. I was referred to him by TS Customs and called him up and got the run down a few months ago. He’s built quite a few and I felt comfortable using him for the rebarrel. But I don’t remember the shoulder angle.

roymunson

WKR
darn good shooting! Congrats!

I shot one at 370 this fall and thought I was really getting it done. Ethical or not, I'm not getting into that, but to connect on that shot is anything but luck. Well done!

Great shot and I'm ok with a guy like you that shoots a lot and knows his equipment. I like many others I know have a problem with the guy who knows little and calls himself a long range shooter.

I've hunted with too many guys that paid the big money and bought the gunwerks system without practice or understanding of ballistics. One example Alabama heart surgeon I hunted with who got his gunwerks system and gun but hadn't really shot it. I was hunting aoudad he was hunting mule deer in Southwest Texas checking the guns on the range the evening before he couldn't hit a 12" gong at 300 yards he flinched really bad and obviously hadn't shot much. The next day he shot at and finally hit on the 7th shot a buck at 800 yards breaking the front leg we finally got the buck 2 days later. He considered himself a long range hunter I did not consider him that. It's the same thing responsible hunters deal with know what the hell you are doing and if your kill ability is 300 stick to it, yours is obviously much greater than my limit 500-600 and I'm ok with that.

The rub I have with all the long range hunting content out there is that it contributes to the above scenario. There are so many long range kill shots on the internet and industry marketing that people think they just have to buy the equipment (or not) and they can do it too. I would love to be able to snap my fingers and make it so anyone that posts long range kill shots is mandated to post all of the bad shots before they post the kill shots.

The rub I have with all the long range hunting content out there is that it contributes to the above scenario. There are so many long range kill shots on the internet and industry marketing that people think they just have to buy the equipment (or not) and they can do it too. I would love to be able to snap my fingers and make it so anyone that posts long range kill shots is mandated to post all of the bad shots before they post the kill shots.
What do you consider long range? What if I don't agree with what you consider long range? Who is right or wrong?

I would say that 90% of all game animals killed in the USA every year are killed under 150 yards. I would then say that half of that 90% were poor shots where the animal was alive for more than 1 minute after being shot. Bad shots happen regardless of the distance.

Congratulations to the OP for filling their tag and freezer!

roymunson

WKR
What do you consider long range? What if I don't agree with what you consider long range? Who is right or wrong?

I would say that 90% of all game animals killed in the USA every year are killed under 150 yards. I would then say that half of that 90% were poor shots where the animal was alive for more than 1 minute after being shot. Bad shots happen regardless of the distance.

I don't think windy was taking a shot at the OP, I read it as we only hear about the ones that go right.

I had a buddy kill a mule deer from spike camp in Colorado this year. Was proud of his 420 yard shot. Then told me the shot that hit the deer was the 3rd or 4th one he let loose. That's the other side of the coin that some long rangers with the equipment but not the skill set don't talk about.

It was just a personal gripe is all and maybe I should have kept it to myself. There has always been a high percentage of hunters taking low percentage shots either because they suck at shooting, don't know better, don't care, or let excitement get the best of them. I'll admit that i've missed many times with all 4 of those being contributing factors and it would have been pretty cool if someone showed me the way better back then.

@huntnful has posted enough for me to know he's passionate about honing his craft and I know that shot was a higher odds shot than 98% of the close range shots taken at whitetails during deer drives in the midwest.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Absolutely brother. I think many people can underestimate the behind the scenes effort that goes into making a high probability long range shot. I’ve missed one shot so far since learning and committing to long range. This year on a missed wind call on my Cali buck. Follow up was a kill shot.

I made over 30 trips to the range from the time I got my rifle to the time season opened. And still missed a shot. Many people are not putting in near that much effort, and shooting even further.

I didn’t take this personal at all. It’s a totally valid view and definitely true.

Excellent. You’re in the .1% club. Love that you knew conditions were ultra ideal, had the dope for elevation, and that you just leaned into the wind using on target reference approx. 20” knowing you’d drop into that kill zone reliably. I guess it can be done afterall.👍

Last edited:

TxLite

WKR
How’s the expansion been with the 230 hybrid? I’ve got them moving just over 2900 in my 300 prc and have been hesitant to use on deer sized game.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
How’s the expansion been with the 230 hybrid? I’ve got them moving just over 2900 in my 300 prc and have been hesitant to use on deer sized game.
Killed 3 bucks with them at 540, 260, 200 yards. No exits. Dead on impact with violent expansion.

And then this buck that did have an exit at a slight quartering angle. So it didn’t fragment as much, but still killed well.