Dropped Everything to go live a dream.....

mntnguide

WKR
I spent 10 years in the backcountry guiding industry in Idaho/ Montana/ Wyoming. Covered thousands of miles horseback and had a great time. That said, I've made more money in the past 3 years working powerlines than i did in those 10. Guiding is a very seasonal occupation if you are not the outfitter. Takes a lot of up front money to buy out an outfit. And as a guide, you really don't make much when it's all said and done. Everyone's financial situation is different, but i finally made the move because i needed a better future. I had some great times, also plenty of not so great.

As mentioned above, making something you love your job isn't always the best. Guiding is far less about hunting than it is taking care of people. You can be a great hunter, but a terrible guide if you can't get along with people from all walks of life who you will encounter.

I hunt for myself now adays and about the only thing i miss from guiding is being in the mountains with horses all summer and fall. But now i do my own pack trips and hunts and don't have to babysit anyone but myself.

If you don't have horse experience, a guide school like Royal Tine in Montana is a decent investment as you will gain experience and job placement and start with a better wage usually than going to work with zero knowledge and the outfitter has to train you on everything. Just know, it is very hard to make a full living in the guide industry. I always picked up random jobs in the winter etc.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I used to accompany my FIL sometimes when he would guide for turkey and upland bird hunts. Like pretty much everyone else has said, it’s not exactly a high paying job, and the people skills to deal with bonehead clients is more important than most hunting skills. Sure, you’re outdoors getting to hunt, but it comes with a whole different pressure to get the clients on game, and making it as easy as possible for them.

Gunsmithing all by itself may be the dream job. It will open up contacts with folks who all love to hunt, and if you’re personable and do good work, IN A TIMELY FASHION, you should do well enough to take time during hunting season. Number one complaint I have seen about gunsmiths is that the work was not completed by the time they said it would be. Most of your clients will want their guns done before the season, so your busy time would be before season, not during. Plus you get to go do trade shows and stuff like that as a write-off, and that may open more doors.

If guiding is what you really want to do, call and talk to a few and ask all the questions you can think of, and see if it’s what you still want to get into. Most of the ones I know, which admittedly isn’t too many, run it as a seasonal side business that they take a few weeks off from their primary job to do. Hope it all works out for you, and you end up doing something you love!

If you guys were to drop everything, good paying job, your home state, and just move west or to Alaska to try and get into the guiding world, how would you go about it?

At least what would be some tips people would have to break into the big game guiding world? Does it help to have a guide school under your belt?

I have about 7 1/2 years of Army experience, and currently in a Gunsmithing school. Just looking for advice from anyone who guides, or has friends that guide.
I kind of did that 29 years ago, dropped everything, packed up my truck, and moved up here when I was 23. I had a pretty good job as a sheet metal worker, but other than that I didn't have anything tying me down. I didn't have any prospects in AK, but I knew that I wanted to go back to school (college), and AK seemed like just as good as any place to do that. I figured if I didn't do it then, I probably never would. Turns out it was the best decision I ever made.
A couple issues I see with guiding is, you'll most likely have to have another job to pay the bills when you're in the off season, and you'll have to do your time as a packer and assistant guide before you can become a master guide.

Class-A Assistant Guide

Must be 21 or older, must possess a current first aid card, may not contract to guide or outfit a hunt, must be employed by and supervised by the contracting registered guide, may take charge of a camp (provided the supervision requirements are met), and may not guide outside the GMU for which the license is issued.

Assistant Guide

Must be 18 or older, must have hunted big game in Alaska 2 or more years, must possess a current first aid card, may not contract to guide or outfit a hunt, must be employed by and supervised by the contracting registered guide, and may not take charge of a camp unless the contracting registered guide is participating in the hunt, or a registered guide or Class-A assistant guide is physically present and supervising the hunt.

Registered Guide

Must be 21 or older, must possess practical field experience in specific skills related to hunting in Alaska (as enumerated by the Big Game Commercial Services Board) must pass a certification exam or provide evidence of 25 years of experience as a Class-A assistant guide, must pass a certification examination for at least one Game Management Unit (GMU), must have hunted for parts of at least five years in a manner contributing to their competency as a guide has been licensed as either a Class-A assistant, or assistant guide in Alaska for at least three years must possess proof of insurance or financial responsibility if required may contract to guide or outfit hunts in GMUs for which he is licensed.

Master Guide

In addition to meeting the requirements for registered guide, a master guide: Must have been a licensed registered guide in Alaska for at least 12 of the 15 years prior to applying for a master guide license, and must submit a list of at least 25 clients he has personally guided, from which the state receives a favorable evaluation from at least 10 of the clients listed .Only a person carrying a valid master guide license is allowed to advertise as a master guide.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Let me guess, you’re adding cookies to the list of things you don’t understand?

what does that even mean? Whatever dosent matter, just more typical trash talk posts from you which contribute absolutely nothing. Carry on though.

WCB

WKR
I guided...not in AK but in MT. If you like to hunt for yourself...not the best idea. I loved every minute of it (maybe not at the time but looking back). Never once woke up and felt like I was going to "work" even when I knew I would be packing up camp and taking multiple trips up and down the mountain on a horse for a couple days. Or, when it was blowing 20-30mph with a foot of snow on the ground. Dealt with a couple clients that I couldn't wait to leave but 99% were awesome. Got my guiding job by cold calling outfitters. The outfitter needed a cook for archery season with a chance to guide after. Owner called about a month early and said a guy quit could I be there in a week. I packed up that next day and headed out. Cooked for a month or so then guided rifle. I am not sure about other states but I know when I was there MT you could get a outfitter sponsored guides license just had to get first aid certified.

Made good money for a guy in his early 20s during guiding season. Problem work season was Aug-Nov. Plowed snow in the winter and landscaped in the summers. And on top of that didn't hunt truly for myself for 5 years. got tags 1 year while guiding and hunted in between clients. Total of about 5 days.

I would say you have 3 options:

1. I would say if you are a good Gunsmith and as stated above get work done in a timely and promised manner you make your own schedule. You can just make it clear you won't be taking any work the months you guide. With your wife's business that will help with the steady "known" income. Your gunsmith shop will be your 3/4 of the year contribution to the income and guiding the rest.

2. Commit to the guiding life and be gone almost all year or find an outfit that operates all year. You may have to start in AK then move south with the seasons. Or, jump from state to state for different outfits guiding different species. I know guys who guide big game in the fall, then are fly fishing guides the rest of the year.

3. Move to where you dream of living for the reason of enjoying it yourself. Find a occupation that is flexible or perhaps run with the gunsmithing thing and start building your own guns to sell. Hunt for yourself.

With all that said. I would move out west no matter what if you are not happy where you are. Then I would say start calling outfitters any where out west you think you would enjoy, doesn't have to be where you live as you won't be home anyways. Take a job being a camp cook/jack if need be and try it for a fall or two. If not you will always wonder.

I guided...not in AK but in MT. If you like to hunt for yourself...not the best idea. I loved every minute of it (maybe not at the time but looking back). Never once woke up and felt like I was going to "work" even when I knew I would be packing up camp and taking multiple trips up and down the mountain on a horse for a couple days. Or, when it was blowing 20-30mph with a foot of snow on the ground. Dealt with a couple clients that I couldn't wait to leave but 99% were awesome. Got my guiding job by cold calling outfitters. The outfitter needed a cook for archery season with a chance to guide after. Owner called about a month early and said a guy quit could I be there in a week. I packed up that next day and headed out. Cooked for a month or so then guided rifle. I am not sure about other states but I know when I was there MT you could get a outfitter sponsored guides license just had to get first aid certified.

Made good money for a guy in his early 20s during guiding season. Problem work season was Aug-Nov. Plowed snow in the winter and landscaped in the summers. And on top of that didn't hunt truly for myself for 5 years. got tags 1 year while guiding and hunted in between clients. Total of about 5 days.

I would say you have 3 options:

1. I would say if you are a good Gunsmith and as stated above get work done in a timely and promised manner you make your own schedule. You can just make it clear you won't be taking any work the months you guide. With your wife's business that will help with the steady "known" income. Your gunsmith shop will be your 3/4 of the year contribution to the income and guiding the rest.

2. Commit to the guiding life and be gone almost all year or find an outfit that operates all year. You may have to start in AK then move south with the seasons. Or, jump from state to state for different outfits guiding different species. I know guys who guide big game in the fall, then are fly fishing guides the rest of the year.

3. Move to where you dream of living for the reason of enjoying it yourself. Find a occupation that is flexible or perhaps run with the gunsmithing thing and start building your own guns to sell. Hunt for yourself.

With all that said. I would move out west no matter what if you are not happy where you are. Then I would say start calling outfitters any where out west you think you would enjoy, doesn't have to be where you live as you won't be home anyways. Take a job being a camp cook/jack if need be and try it for a fall or two. If not you will always wonder.

This sounds like pretty solid advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Move to your dream location. Start gunsmithing on the side to grow your client list. Start mowing grass, landscaping, pushing snow, driving nails, etc... until you either grow one of those into full time or, grow the Gunsmithing to full time.

Live right. No excess debt or Luxury spending until you can afford it. In 5 years you’ll be making as much money as you can produce and, you’ll be your own boss.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
You guys are fantastic on this forum, I swear it, I appreciate all the insight thoroughly

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
Be careful if you look northwest, WA and OR are both fighting to be more liberal than CA. MT is full of CA transplants that continue to vote like the still lived in CA and now they're starting to move into ID.
We are at capacity here in Idaho I cant believe how many people from California and Washington have moved in the last few months.