Dropping pack to stalk...

Hey everyone -

not looking to have a discussion on if you should ever drop your pack or not. I've gotten pretty disciplined on how I mark my back when I drop it and I'm comfortable with that.

Where we hunt it is a lot of running ridges and then bailing into super shitty and vertical hell holes for anywhere from 2 to 4 hours. More often than not it is one way in and one way out back to where we are camped so I don't want to carry more weight than I need to on my fun 2000 vertical foot adventure lol.

Curious to know what you guys take with you and how you take it with you on a stalk. I don't want to stalk w/o:

1. water
  2. snack
  3. sidearm
  4. Kill kit
  5. Inreach.
  6. Phone.
Thanks in advance for input!

I never drop my pack until it’s time to shoot. My Bog Pod sticks up out of it so I can use it for a rest without even removing it from the pack.

But the main reason is because the mountains swallow things up. You can sit something down, walk 100 yards and never see it again.

Last edited:

JJ1179

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
And something to make a fire in case of an emergency or if you get stranded or injured. Extra bullets wouldn’t be bad either.

Jimss

WKR
It really depends on the time of year and location what’s in my pack. As an example it would be good to add rain gear to your list in wet or snowy areas. I usually carry more in November and December than in August and Sept.

In open country I always bring a spotting scope and tripod. You likely will be carrying a weapon. Sometimes it’s nice being able to strap the weapon to a pack while using both arms to climb cliffs or difficult terrain.

I’m likely going to harvest a critter and it’s great to have a sturdy backpack to haul out a hefty load the first trip.

I have found that it’s a lot easier on my body using a high quality pack (such as kifaru) rather than a lighter daypack that may be painful with similar small loads.

There are very few times I don’t have my kifaru on my back even when scouting. It certainly helps getting my back and shoulders in shape. I carry a pack most days all year round at work so am used to a pack when hunting season rolls around.

Hey everyone -

not looking to have a discussion on if you should ever drop your pack or not. I've gotten pretty disciplined on how I mark my back when I drop it and I'm comfortable with that.

Where we hunt it is a lot of running ridges and then bailing into super shitty and vertical hell holes for anywhere from 2 to 4 hours. More often than not it is one way in and one way out back to where we are camped so I don't want to carry more weight than I need to on my fun 2000 vertical foot adventure lol.

Curious to know what you guys take with you and how you take it with you on a stalk. I don't want to stalk w/o:

1. water
  2. snack
  3. sidearm
  4. Kill kit
  5. Inreach.
  6. Phone.
Can you clarify? You have been doing this without taking anything into the hell holes up until now?

Based on how I read what you posted... You've already been dropping the pack on your hunts, and not taking anything. Now wondering how other guys carry the things you haven't figured how to take and don't want to be without?

Last edited:
If you have a kifaru lid they have straps in the back velcro that you can slide over your shoulders and go. All the items you mentioned would fit in there no problem.

That being said, I used to drop my pack all the time during stalks and one day I just realized it’s not worth it. I practice shooting my bow with my pack on and have killed animals with it on. I find it tougher to shoot my rifle due to the strap, so I’ll typically drop it if i have time, usually to shoot off of. But I try to keep it with me so I don’t have to worry about it.

TaperPin

WKR
So this is asking what we carry for day hunting? The ten essentials are what I grew up with - maybe this is a Rocky Mountain region thing, but everything on the list is there because more than one person died not having them. Sun protection (sun glasses) sounds weird, but some snow followed by bright sun can cause snow blindness, and if you can’t see you’re screwed. No, I don’t carry an altimeter, that’s more a thing for high altitude mountain climbers.

360E47B3-CB08-4F98-A568-DA003BE1DA33.jpeg

manitou1

WKR
My bino pack always goes. Have used it numerous times to shoot off of.
It contains:
Wind meter
two headlamps
lens pen/cloth
tags
Zoleo is clipped to it

Phone is in pocket

Add the bow/rifle and all set. I carry a spare mag in my pocket.

WTFJohn

WKR
Hey everyone -

1. water
  2. snack
  3. sidearm
  4. Kill kit
  5. Inreach.
  6. Phone.

Most of this I can/do keep in my bino pouch, the other items could be stuffed into pockets if needed.

My question is, if you kill something down there are you just givin' er the 'ol Cam Hanes and throwing it over your shoulder for 2,000' vert?

Figure out a way to dump a bag off your pack and keep the frame with you with the essentials.

Jaquomo

WKR
I never go anywhere in the woods without a small survival kit. It contains first aid, clotting powder, four different ways to make fire plus fire starters, a space blanket, low dose aspirin, tourniquet, a small solitaire flashlight with an extra battery, and small folding knife. The whole thing is compressed into a very small pouch. It's always with me when hunting, scouting, whatever.

Like a handgun, I hope to rarely need it, but if I do.....

squid-freshprints

Lil-Rokslider
Chest pack under backpack, chest pack with essentials goes everywhere, not just hiking. + (silk scarf, wet it at the creek bottom, cools while climbing.) My 2

Brooks

WKR
I dropped my pack once. Marked the pack on onx and later that night I couldn’t find it. I would go to the waypoint and nothing. After about an hour looking for it I found it 40 yards from the marked way point. Not sure if I moved the waypoint or what happened but ever since I’ve put some reflective tape wrapped around the shoulder strap so my light will make it shine when I’m looking for it at night.

If I drop it I’m not planning on going to far but I always take my knife, water and my tag.

OP
KennethDeemer
Can you clarify? You have been doing this without taking anything into the hell holes up until now?

Based on how I read what you posted... You've already been dropping the pack on your hunts, and not taking anything. Now wondering how other guys carry the things you haven't figured how to take and don't want to be without?
No, I've been taking all that stuff, just very inefficiently ha ha. It's been a mix of my pockets and my bino harness.

woods89

WKR
My question is, if you kill something down there are you just givin' er the 'ol Cam Hanes and throwing it over your shoulder for 2,000' vert?
This is my question as well. Sounds like if you kill something you have to make an extra trip into there?

Maybe carry a big dry bag to leave non essentials in?

We have at times done 2000 ft up before daylight. As much as I'd love to leave my pack behind, I sure want to bring a load of meat out if we do kill something.

OP
KennethDeemer
Most of this I can/do keep in my bino pouch, the other items could be stuffed into pockets if needed.

Figure out a way to dump a bag off your pack and keep the frame with you with the essentials.
I like this idea a lot. I'm going to experiment with how I can drop the K3 bag on the exo.

OP
KennethDeemer
I dropped my pack once. Marked the pack on onx and later that night I couldn’t find it. I would go to the waypoint and nothing. After about an hour looking for it I found it 40 yards from the marked way point. Not sure if I moved the waypoint or what happened but ever since I’ve put some reflective tape wrapped around the shoulder strap so my light will make it shine when I’m looking for it at night.

If I drop it I’m not planning on going to far but I always take my knife, water and my tag.
I like the reflective tape. I just use flagging now, but reflective flagging is an awesome idea. Easier to find in the dark.