Dropping Pack While Elk Hunting

Right on brother!! Wyoming sage is a wonderful place to lose stuff. I almost lost an entire dead elk in the stuff. I am so glad I was hunting solo because I embarrassed myself. I began to wonder if I had hallucinated about shooting it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ha! Same sort of thing happened with a friend of mine and a mule deer. Four guys casually walking that 250 yds through the sage to fan out and spend better than fifteen minutes swiveling our heads within twenty yds of each other and wondering who has the deer at their feet and is being a joker.

I have stalked into less than 5 yards of bedded bucks wearing boots and my pack since.

This. I don't know why some guys take their boots off for a stalk. Not necessary if you are going super slow. The same reasoning applies to leaving your pack behind.

parshal

WKR
I've got a Garmin Fenix watch and have setup a quick-button shortcut so one press of the button and it marks the location and automatically starts navigating to it. It's call the Man Overboard (MOB). I set it up to mark fallen birds in deep cover while upland hunting but it would work perfectly in this situation.

nphunter

WKR
Come to think of it, if Kifaru offered blaze orange for their pack bags I'd buy one.

My Kifaru Grab it is Blaze Orange, Pretty easy to pull it out and toss it on the back of the bag or just keep it there while hunting, right now i keep it between the pack and frame.

OP
ceng

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
You guys who take your shoes off in the wilderness must have tough feet, I think that though my footsteps might be quieter, the mumbling obscenities under my breath, punctuated by stifled squealing as pointy sticks and sharp poky grass and rocks touched the underside of my foot might just give me a way.

Big6810

FNG
My buddy dropped his gear this spring when we were out on a sd turkey backpack hunt. He wanted to check out a ridge system and ditched his gear. He spent all afternoon looking for his gear after that. He came back into camp very late. What he didn't know was he was only about twenty minutes from me calling him in lost. I think he learned his lesson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruskin

WKR
While I love all the camo options, I keep a blaze orange bandana on my pack (so I don't get shot). Makes it easy to find. Probably makes all the camo seem silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk