Protecting Pack from Treestand or Platform

Matlax

FNG
Curious what you guys do to protect your pack from the teeth on your stand or platform if you carry them between the pack and an external frame. I just got a pack where you can carry meat, stand, or extra gear but with my hang on, the teeth are in the middle either facing outward toward the pack or inward toward my back (no thanks). Pic shows the configuration I’m running with the stand going where the orange part is and the teeth in the other pic are what I’m trying protect the pack from. Thanks!
IMG_7127.jpeg
IMG_7130.png

Swamp Fox

WKR
Option A: Duct tape. I recommend Gorilla.

Option B: Carry the stand differently.

Option C: Start over with a pack and stand that work together.

OP
M

Matlax

FNG
Option A: Duct tape. I recommend Gorilla.

Option B: Carry the stand differently.

Option C: Start over with a pack and stand that work together.
Thanks. Hoping for an option D. 🤣 I’m not a fan of taping the teeth. Hoping there’s something out there I can put over them while carrying. The other option is strapping it to the front of the pack.

Swamp Fox

WKR
That is option B.

There is really no magic to this. It's the same reason I always questioned strapping a bow to a pack. You have to deal with the wear (to finish and/or string) from straps or the surface of the pack.

Sometimes there are no easy solutions and you just have to suck it up.

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
Get some pipe insulation, cut to fit. It's not perfect, but it does the trick and it's light.
8f0c9ee0b5bd72c8a5442d4fba3b5b59.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Swamp Fox

WKR
If you Gorilla-taped the wear areas of the pack and sheathed the teeth of the platform with pipe insulation, I would think that would be the best you could do without going nuclear (Option C ) ...

But, I mean, like, who really nos all this stuff anyway?

Macintosh

WKR
I have been carrying my saddle platform in the load shelf of my mystery ranch popup pack for several years now. Teeth back toward pack, away from my back. Probably over 100 days in the field by now. I dont protect it at all, its a non issue because the teeth arent that sharp, and most importantly because the OTHER side of the pack fabric doesnt have a hard object in it. Pack fabric sandwhiched between two hard objects will cut or wear through quickly. Put a sweater or anything not metal inside the pack there and it will last quite a while. The key is to just make sure the pack fabric doesnt have a hard object on both sides of the fabric.
Also, if the teeth are crazy sharp, you can dull them and it will still bite on the tree fine.

OP
M

Matlax

FNG
If you Gorilla-taped the wear areas of the pack and sheathed the teeth of the platform with pipe insulation, I would think that would be the best you could do without going nuclear (Option C ) ...

I like the pipe insulation idea. See…there’s something to be said for asking. Thanks!

Swamp Fox

WKR

I like the pipe insulation idea. See…there’s something to be said for asking. Thanks!
The pipe insulation was Redwing's idea/addition ...

OP
M

Matlax

FNG
I have been carrying my saddle platform in the load shelf of my mystery ranch popup pack for several years now. Teeth back toward pack, away from my back. Probably over 100 days in the field by now. I dont protect it at all, its a non issue because the teeth arent that sharp, and most importantly because the OTHER side of the pack fabric doesnt have a hard object in it. Pack fabric sandwhiched between two hard objects will cut or wear through quickly. Put a sweater or anything not metal inside the pack there and it will last quite a while. The key is to just make sure the pack fabric doesnt have a hard object on both sides of the fabric.
Also, if the teeth are crazy sharp, you can dull them and it will still bite on the tree fine.
Thanks for sharing the experience. Good to know. Mine’s a Pintler so very similar. Good point on keeping something soft behind it.

Chopped up closed cell sleeping mat works bonus is it works as a seat pad.

I hang my stand off the back more than I put it on the meat shelf. Easy enough to put the pokey bits out the back.

50fps

FNG
Just a thought, but you could also take a chunk of PVC pipe and slot it to fit tight over the teeth as well.

ethan

WKR
I’ve been carrying my stand in my pop up for probably 4 or 5 years and my MR shows literally no noticeable signs of wear. I don’t do anything special to protect it.

thrower88

FNG
I’ve tried pipe insulation, but have just changed it this year where I unhooked the shelf. The pack then sits on the seat when it’s set like a shelf, but still buckled in place