Dropping weight on a rifle

jmillr1

WKR
I have 300 PRC with an XLR Magnesium Chassis Smoke Ultralight Carbon Buttstock XLR push button folding adapter Triggertech Trigger MB&M Muzzle Brake Bartlein Steel Barrel 24" XLR Carbon Grip Lone Peak Arms Fuzion Action and a Vortex Diamondback Tactical scope.

Total weight is around 10 lbs.

Is there any way to lower the weight with the given components other than switching to a carbon barrel? I'd like to add a suprresor at some poin as well but just curious. Thanks for the input.

Dropping the weight has been kicking my butt and making think seriously about picking up a 6.5 PRC and moving on from this one...

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Folding mechanism is unnecessary... other than that you have to get less weight in your barrel or stock. Maybe switching scopes for something a little lighter, but that isn't gonna save much.

Cutting weight with fluting the bolt or skelotonizing the action is nothing.

OP
jmillr1

jmillr1

WKR
Folding mechanism is unnecessary... other than that you have to get less weight in your barrel or stock. Maybe switching scopes for something a little lighter, but that isn't gonna save much.

Cutting weight with fluting the bolt or skelotonizing the action is nothing.
Thanks for that. The stock idea sounds intriguing. I'll do some research, but any recommendations?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A carbon fiber from the usual suspects, Stockys, Manners, McMillan, Greyboe

Aggressive fluting on the barrel can cut weight.

FNG
That's probably as light as I'd want to go with that cartridge. If you get much lighter than that, the shootability is probably going to decrease. I think I'd try to shave some weight from other stuff in my pack. I think I'd gladly trade a pound ON the rifle for a pound OUT of my pack.

There isn’t going to be anything cheap that’ll make the rifle lighter. Lighter scope, lighter stock, shorter barrel will all cost a decent $ to change out. Like @8404 mentioned, gonna be easier to move something out of your pack. I’m looking at shaving a few ounces off my 7PRC XLR build by going from the Mark5HD to the NXS 2.5-10x. Other then that, I’d have to drop the action and barrel into a light Carbon stock to go further.

I’ve also done a good job in lightening my hunting pack and losing some inches around my waste. Those were the most effective.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Barrel fluting, LRI pattern X would likely shave more weight than a carbon barrel. How much lighter depends on the contour. Cost of about $400.

A new rifle is the easy way. A Kimber Hunter is probably the easiest option to get light. I personally am not inclined to by another Kimber though.

A stock Tikka can also get you lighter, but not as light as the Kimber. Tikkas are my current choice.

Sometimes weight is worth carrying. If you want a significantly lighter rifle, I would say step down in cartridge. I have shot a 458 Lott and thought recoil did not bother me, however I realized I had a flinch from a light Kimber Montana in 30-06.

JGood

Lil-Rokslider
Chop the barrel down or switch to a carbon fiber stock.

You won’t be any lighter going in a 6.5PRC though? Maybe an ounce on the action?

khuber84

WKR
Titanium action, fluted light palma or 0.700 muzzle sporter contour. Shorten the shank to 2.25" VS normal 3"and run 1.2 cylinder dia. Ditch the folder. The fluting and ti action would drop you 12-14oz. Dropping the folder is another 3-4oz, run a titanium brake, few more oz. Lots of $$$ for a pound +-!

jimh406

WKR
Based on weights I've seen, you can't easily retrofit to make a light gun. If you want a light gun, the easiest thing to do is buy/build it from scratch. Otherwise, you'll only be losing a bit of weight.

For instance, my 300 Wby weights 9 1/2 lbs with a fairly light scope. Not "heavy" by any means. My 300 WSM weighs 8 lbs with a 6-7 oz heavier scope with Proof Research barrel. I went with the lighter gun knowing I was going to suppress it. Even with suppressor it is noticeably lighter to carry.

I've thought about building a chassis rifle. Looking at specs the weight seems to vary a lot although they have similar functionality. However, they seem to be a bit heavier than the lightest conventional stock if only by a few ozs.

You'll likely be better off starting over. While you are at it, you can reconsider the caliber choice if you want.

Macintosh

WKR
….Is there any way to lower the weight with the given components other than switching to a carbon barrel?
Short answer, with that stipulation, thats a no—you dont have lightweight components, so dont expect a lightweight rifle. Best you can hope for is a few ounces here and there via fluting, maybe a lighter recoil pad, and maybe fractions of an ounce elsewhere.

Pick a different stock, lose 1/2-3/4 pound easy
Pick a shorter/lighter barrel—.you didnt say contour, but lose a pound or more if you want, even with a steel barrel
Pick a lighter action/mag/bottom metal, etc.

khuber84

WKR
I wouldn't sacrifice the durability/reliability for weight reduction. But that's just me
I have to agree here, 10# isn't a heavy rifle. If you want to take long shots, 10# is a good number. I humped my 26" Saum in the mtns for elk a few weeks ago, it's 13.5# with bipod.

OP
jmillr1

jmillr1

WKR
Appreciate all the input. I think based on all relevant information I'll prob be leaning towards picking up a carbon barrel going forward and not changing much after that.

Thanks all!

One thing at a time.

Thought it was a valid question since you are already looking at dumping money into it to make it lighter. Instead of buying a carbon barrel, put a decent scope on it instead of a cheap POS. You arent the only one, I see it all the time on facebook. Guys with $1000-$2000 rifles toping it off with a cheapo chinese vortex. I can never wrap my head around it.

OP
jmillr1

jmillr1

WKR
Thought it was a valid question since you are already looking at dumping money into it to make it lighter. Instead of buying a carbon barrel, put a decent scope on it instead of a cheap POS. You arent the only one, I see it all the time on facebook. Guys with $1000-$2000 rifles toping it off with a cheapo chinese vortex. I can never wrap my head around it.
Yep you aren't the first guy that's said that. Believe me I know haha

You’re right there with weight. All my customs for the most part land between 9.25-10.5. These are mtn, backpack rigs. They aren’t pickup guns. If you want to play the longer range game and be consistent in a 30 cal platform some weight is needed. I have one 300wsm that’s 20” in a xlr I built for a shorty suppressed rig. I like it but it’s on the edge of shootable. And I shoot a lot…. Everyone has different interpretations but for me, I need to be able to shoot well under 1/2 moa every time in field conditions out to my intended distance for the rig. Usually that’s atleast 1k yards. I guess my point is be careful on going to light if you want something that repeatable at distance. 10lbs is not that heavy. My dad packs one that heavy all over hells canyon at 66 years old. My 2 carbon 6.5 prcs are 9.5 lbs. so don’t think going that route will shed many oz’s for ya

Timgunner

FNG
My 300 wsm has a 22” proof barrel with ec tuner brake, tikka t3 action, McMillan carbon game hunter stock, and leupold vx3 6-20x50. It weighs in at just under 8lbs total and is a comfortable weight with very manageable recoil. I’m not sure what your chassis weighs my stock is 28oz. The manners ultra classic is only 20oz. In my experience the two heaviest parts of a rifle are the stock and barrel that is where you can cut weight most effectively.

Marshfly

WKR
Dropping the weight has been kicking my butt and making think seriously about picking up a 6.5 PRC and moving on from this one...
This is the right answer if you really want to drop weight. Buy a factory Seekins Element 6.5 PRC and call it a day.

Do you really need to kill animals past 1000 yards?