DST or SkyTarp

Hey all! First post here for a longtime lurker.

I’m looking to upgrade my 5x7 Bushcraft USA tarp that I keep in my pack for a cook shelter/emergency to a 10x10ish flat tarp for a the same purpose, plus a fast and light shelter with my Katabatic bivy. I had my mind made to get a DST, especially since I love my Cimmaron, but the new Stone Glacier Skytarp 10 looks to have really nice specs. Anyone have experience with both/the Skytarp? I know the DST is the gold standard.

No experience with the sg version. That center patch on my dst gets a lot of use for various pitches. The lighter weight on the SG is appealing. My dst with lines and stakes in a stud sack is pushing 2#.

The weight savings don’t come from magic. That’s a 10D fabric. I assume Seek Outside is 20D, though it doesn’t explicitly say. You can also assume the tie outs won’t be constructed as durably to save weight.

Now, if this is only a supplement to your sleep system and not an essential part, that weight savings might be meaningful because if it breaks, you’ll still be fine.

I agree with previous post that the DST middle patch is very handy for flat tarp applications.

Another option is the Warbonnet Ground Tarp. It is designed more as an enclosed shelter but can still be pitched in tons of different configurations for different uses. The 30D sil poly version is 17oz so kind of splits the weight difference, and give you a durable shelter.

EdP

WKR
Specs for both show 19.5 oz. That includes lines and stakes for the SG and the DST doesn't come with lines or stakes so the SG may be a few ozs lighter. I have the DST and like it a lot. The durable fabric patch on the DST and it's loop is handy. You can tie in whatever you use as a center prop. I will also run a line down from the loop to a stake at the base of the center prop to keep the wind from lifting the tarp off the prop. You can carry a separate piece of fabric to protect the SG but it may tend to slip and you won't have the fixed loop.

OP
H
No experience with the sg version. That center patch on my dst gets a lot of use for various pitches. The lighter weight on the SG is appealing. My dst with lines and stakes in a stud sack is pushing 2#.
Yeah that’s about where my math was leading me.
The weight savings don’t come from magic. That’s a 10D fabric. I assume Seek Outside is 20D, though it doesn’t explicitly say. You can also assume the tie outs won’t be constructed as durably to save weight.

Now, if this is only a supplement to your sleep system and not an essential part, that weight savings might be meaningful because if it breaks, you’ll still be fine.

I agree with previous post that the DST middle patch is very handy for flat tarp applications.

Another option is the Warbonnet Ground Tarp. It is designed more as an enclosed shelter but can still be pitched in tons of different configurations for different uses. The 30D sil poly version is 17oz so kind of splits the weight difference, and give you a durable shelter.
That’s a good point. Might be worth an email to CS to get more material info. I’ll check out the Warbonnet too.
Specs for both show 19.5 oz. That includes lines and stakes for the SG and the DST doesn't come with lines or stakes so the SG may be a few ozs lighter. I have the DST and like it a lot. The durable fabric patch on the DST and it's loop is handy. You can tie in whatever you use as a center prop. I will also run a line down from the loop to a stake at the base of the center prop to keep the wind from lifting the tarp off the prop. You can carry a separate piece of fabric to protect the SG but it may tend to slip and you won't have the fixed loop.
I didn’t think about tying down the center with the loop - If I get the DST, I’ll be doing that.

The DST just looks too complicated to me.

As with all seek products they are great but they are constructed from the minds of very diligent backpackers.

I always really struggle to setup my eolus every year. I've been learning back towards products the simpler the better. Suits my baby gorilla personality better.

Not saying they aren't better once properly deployed. But alot of the nuance is lost on me. As I ether don't know, or just am not willing to take the time to mess with it that much.

Have a look at the 8x10 Lite Outdoors tarp. Centre tie out and only 12.5oz on my scale.
As long as we are sharing, my go to lightweight tarp for solo is a 8.5x10 zpacks dyneema. No center patch but the thing is 8oz so half the weight of my dst. It is under a pound stakes and lines. The thing is gives up on the DST besides a minimum amount of function is some durability and it is 2x the price. It’s a spendy option but if weight is a top concern it is worth exploring dyneema options.

OP
H
This ^^^^^^^^.
Bought one last year and it's great.....always in my pack.

Randy
Taking a very close look at these. I’m thinking it might be the one.

As long as we are sharing, my go to lightweight tarp for solo is a 8.5x10 zpacks dyneema. No center patch but the thing is 8oz so half the weight of my dst. It is under a pound stakes and lines. The thing is gives up on the DST besides a minimum amount of function is some durability and it is 2x the price. It’s a spendy option but if weight is a top concern it is worth exploring dyneema options.
I wish DCF was an option for me, but the price tag is a little high for me these days. Otherwise it would be a no brainer.

Hammock gear has 20% off for a few more days; their silpoly tarps are included. They also make dyneema tarps (that are not included in the sale).

Oh boy. Now I’m going down the silnylon vs silpoly rabbit hole. These look awesome too. Especially with the discount.

Time2fish

Lil-Rokslider
I love my DST and wouldn’t sacrifice the center patch for what I do.
There is a thread on this forum somewhere that shows some great set up options for the DST, and a few other sized tarps.
I’m a big fan of the diamond setup but sometimes intentionally try different setups, just to improve my ability in a pinch.
I’m also becoming a fan of the kifaru sheep tarp, for weight savings.
I run a katabatic bivy.

EdP

WKR
The DST diamond set-up is hard to beat, especially if the wind direction is predictable. It's quick and easy and gives a lot of cover.

OP
H
Check out the durston gear website. Dan has a pretty good write up on there comparing the two materials.
Thanks! That was a great read. This makes me wish he made a square tarp. And that other manufacturers told us more details
of their fabric instead of just denier and silnylon or silpoly. I love my Cimmaron, but the sagging is always a bit of a pain.

I love my DST and wouldn’t sacrifice the center patch for what I do.
There is a thread on this forum somewhere that shows some great set up options for the DST, and a few other sized tarps.
I’m a big fan of the diamond setup but sometimes intentionally try different setups, just to improve my ability in a pinch.
I’m also becoming a fan of the kifaru sheep tarp, for weight savings.
I run a katabatic bivy.
Yeah the center patch is what drew me to the DST initially. I am excited to nerd out over the different pitches. How do you like your bivy? I haven’t spent a night in mine yet.

Have a look at the 8x10 Lite Outdoors tarp. Centre tie out and only 12.5oz on my scale.

This is what i have as well. Was cheaper/lighter than DST when i was looking 4 or 5 years ago. It's 20d, I'm pretty sure the DST is 30D? So beefier material than the SG but less so than DST.

While the DST seems like a nice durable option made of high quality materials, It just never made sense at that weight for me. I have a dyneema duomid pyramid that is lighter so it doesn't make much sense to carry a tarp that's heavier than my fully enclosed shelter.

Time2fish

Lil-Rokslider
Katabatic Bivy is great, I have over 30 nights it and it’s still in good shape.
I’m a quilt guy so the bivy keeps everything nice and tight.