Is the SO DST Tarp outdated?

JigStick

WKR
I’m looking to pick up my first tarp. Backpack use so I’m weight conscious. Primarily as a quick pop up shelter for glassing, butchering, getting out of the rain in a pinch.

I have a SO Redcliff and 16man tipi. And the DST tarp would make a nice edition to those setups as an awning, vestibule, etc.

I’m just wondering if there’s other tarps available now made out of dyneema with the same functionality as the DST

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
What sets the DST apart from all other flat tarps is the center patch. I don't think any other manufacturer offers that option. This little feature turns this tarp into so many pitching options and usability.
For a short time SO offered the DST in Dynema and although it is 8.5 x 10 making it a bit harder for multiple pitches, It's one of my favorite tarps. Has the same robust corners typical of all SO tents and the center patch. I don't think I've ever seen a used one up for sale in classifieds but I'd highly recommend trying to find one.

I have an advanced classifieds search bookmarked that I check regularly, looks like only 6 have been posted in the last 2.5 years.

Probably time to delete that bookmark and just pick one up. I would add: does anyone make a sil-poly version that is similar? I imagine the sag on a wet DST is pretty significant?

OP
JigStick

JigStick

WKR
I really really like the versatility of the DST. My son wants one to keep in his pack. He’s 10yrs old. He’s to the age now where he wants to “help setup camp” and have some of his own gear and responsibilities. This may be a good option for him because it’s not overtly heavy and easy to pitch. A dyneema one would be awesome but my searches haven’t found a dyneema one similiar to the DST.

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
I have an advanced classifieds search bookmarked that I check regularly, looks like only 6 have been posted in the last 2.5 years.

Probably time to delete that bookmark and just pick one up. I would add: does anyone make a sil-poly version that is similar? I imagine the sag on a wet DST is pretty significant?
Can confirm the Sag when wet is significant. Not a huge issue if you have an area that you can re-adjust the anchors and whatnot. Gets real annoying in the middle of a storm in a questionable place trying to re-pitch.

For that reason I recently pre-ordered the Argali 1-man and plan on having the DST for utility but not primary shelter.

Jbehredt

WKR
I lost mine last year. Spent many hours making sure it was still what I needed before replacing it with another DST.

Dirtydan

Lil-Rokslider
I would caution on BPWD. John has been hit or miss the past couple years. Some report great service while others can't get a response out of him. I finally gave up and found someone else when I was looking for a custom job. Don't take my word on it though, Do some research on some backpacking forums for others experiences.
Take a look at Zpacks or Mountain Laurel Designs as they offer Dynema tarps.

I like mine. Very versatile for a one or two person sleeping shelter. Fine for 3-4 as a glassing tarp. The center patch makes some pitch options work well.

I have and prefer a zpacks dyneema tarp for solo stuff. I can’t say it works any better or worse. It is slightly narrower - about 8 inches. It is louder in the wind. Not particularly compactable but not bulky.

the real difference is price and weight. DST is $140 and 19 oz. Dyneema tarp is +$325 and 8oz.

The Warbonnet Ground Tarp offers a similar amount of versatility, albeit in different forms.

What sets it apart is the “door” wings that allow for A-frame pitches with closed sides. Two people and all there gear can fit in there and be closed from the weather for 17-18 ounces. You could do three people and gear if necessary. I’ve actually had four people in it with gear waiting out a storm.

Can pitch it many different ways like sides open or use as a flat tarp.

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
I would caution on BPWD. John has been hit or miss the past couple years. Some report great service while others can't get a response out of him. I finally gave up and found someone else when I was looking for a custom job. Don't take my word on it though, Do some research on some backpacking forums for others experiences.
Take a look at Zpacks or Mountain Laurel Designs as they offer Dynema tarps.
Second this.

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Cooke custom sewing makes tarps with a center patch ( that will tie securely to the center pole) in a variety of sizes
+1. Cooke Custom Sewing makes probably the best quality, most versatile tarp there is. The guy who runs the company, Dan, is a legit outdoorsman with scores of snowshoe and canoe expeditions under his belt. Their tundra tarp has a ton of guyouts, a center patch, and is also crisscrossed with nylon loops that let you pitch in a bunch of configurations https://www.shop.cookecustomsewing.com/product.sc?productId=175

I have a CCS 15x15 and would probably prefer a CCS 10x10 to my DST, which is really saying something because the DST is absolutely great. Also, this is personal preference, but I've found dyneema tarps to be pretty loud in the rain by comparison. For me silnylon is a better option, even with the weight and stretch penalty.

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
These threads always make me think that a diy silnylon tarp with material from somewhere like ripstopbytheroll is what I should go with. Likely less than 50 dollars in materials, but the time is where the value is, would take me a while/seams might not be perfect. But then another month or so goes by and I still haven't ordered/made one yet, so the dst's start looking better again lol.

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
These threads always make me think that a diy silnylon tarp with material from somewhere like ripstopbytheroll is what I should go with. Likely less than 50 dollars in materials, but the time is where the value is, would take me a while/seams might not be perfect. But then another month or so goes by and I still haven't ordered/made one yet, so the dst's start looking better again lol.
I went through this and finally decided to try making my own. Material was about $60 from RSBTR if I recall and the cheap little sewing machine I picked up off craigslist was another $60. It was a really fun project. Even with the seams being a little wonky and gobs of seam sealer dripped all over it works just fine. Sleeping and glassing from under it makes me smile. I didn't save any money when considering the time I put in and there is no warranty lol.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I'm with Dutch Henry and Tim from Wa on both points. I have used a dyneema tarp from Hyperlite and don't like it as much as sil-nylon. It may be lighter but in a small tarp the difference isn't that much compared to the weight of the lines and stakes, which is constant, it doesn't compress down as nicely and it doesn't provide as much shade, noisier and more $ For my uses, dyneema is less effective. The DST has been solid for me--like Tim I also have a 15 x 15 Cooke Custom Sewing Tundra Tarp in the 1.9 oz green fabric to maximize the shade and it is a fine piece of gear for a bigger group camp rain or shine. It was a bit pricey but I love it.