Duck gun

I tried a Winchester SX4 for 2 years and finally sold it and bought a Benelli SBE 3. I had the exact same problem with the SX4. You may want to try cleaning the spring out in the stock, but even then it may not help. There are different stiffness springs you can try as well. I hope this helps.
My SX4 cycles anything that I put into it flawlessly. I've shot cases through it in the last 1.5 years without an issue.

Another vote for the sx4 here. I’m going into my third season with mine and aside from one day I had it overlubed it’s never given me a problem

jayhawk

WKR
I consistently only hear good things about Beretta 300s and Winchester SX4s. Know guys that shoot both.

I shoot an older Remington 1100 magnum, but I picked it up used at Cabelas a few years ago for $350, and I just shoot it well.

49ereric

WKR
I'm getting into duck hunting this year, I have a stoeger M3000 but even when shooting 3 inch heavy loads it will never be able to cycle a full tube without at least one failure. So with that. What recommendation for a sub 1000 dollar semi do you guys have?? Or if anyone knows what to do to fix the cycling issue!
Hard on shotgun finish? Buy a Mossberg and enjoy with no worries.

mnort

FNG
Beretta A300, mine has been flawless since I purchased it. The Fiocchi "warlock" 3's are my choice for ducks.

SpringM1A

Lil-Rokslider
Browning Citori with light Mod chokes in both barrels.
Russian Baikal as a backup!!

I think at the price range, as long as you don’t need 3.5 inch shells, the Remington V3 is the best ‘bang’ for your buck.

If I was going for top of the line I would still pick gas and probably would lean towards the A400 - which is double the price of the V3.

Most of these guns can be adjusted to the individual so off the rack you may end up just picking one that fits you better but, it doesn’t mean there isn’t a better choice for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

49ereric

WKR
I think at the price range, as long as you don’t need 3.5 inch shells, the Remington V3 is the best ‘bang’ for your buck.

If I was going for top of the line I would still pick gas and probably would lean towards the A400 - which is double the price of the V3.

Most of these guns can be adjusted to the individual so off the rack you may end up just picking one that fits you better but, it doesn’t mean there isn’t a better choice for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Really no need for 3 1/2” shells anymore.
the Reason for a 3 1/2” shotgun is the overbore barrel If your brand has it. Mossberg has a 10 gauge internal diameter barrel on the 835 and that gets you an extra 100fps from your ammo.

BCP

FNG
You can kill anything that flies with Boss 2 3/4" 5's. I've taken 27 waterfowl species with that load from teal to tundra swans. The patterns are superior to any 3.5" load and most 3" loads. It's a great load that won't beat you up.

49ereric

WKR
You can kill anything that flies with Boss 2 3/4" 5's. I've taken 27 waterfowl species with that load from teal to tundra swans. The patterns are superior to any 3.5" load and most 3" loads. It's a great load that won't beat you up.
Most hand loaders now use the 2 3/4” hull and mostly 7/8oz weight.
I use to have a 7/8’s load #4’s @1450 fps and killed mallards fine @30 yards

Reactions: BCP

Spindrift

FNG
Benelli: sbe2/3, super vinci, M2. All great.
Beretta: A400
Browning: A5 wicked wings.

Try each and see what fits you the best.

This.

All of those are great guns and it comes down to fit and feel. My SBE is 22+ years old and runs like a top with minimal maintenance, FWIW.

KurtR

WKR
Franchi affinity has been good to me. Shot a wingmaster for 30 years before that. I bought the mossberg 835 when it came out biggest piece of shit i have ever held in my hands. I would have quit hunting if i had to keep shooting that. It would make an ok fence post at best

FLS

WKR
In the semi auto shotgun world, there is Beretta, then everything else. Ive got a 30 year old AL 390 that wont die. I put a Shure Cycle kit in it after years of hunting ducks in saltwater. I’ve got a 391 that is my clays gun. I replaced the lifter after about 10K rounds. Other than that they’ve been flawless and eat everything I put in them. My 3 Gun shotgun is a Beretta 1301. It gets run hard and has been super reliable.
Ive had Benellis, Brownings, Remingtons, and Winchesters. None run as smooth or came close to the reliability of my Berettas.

BCP

FNG
I've used most of the options out there and have hunted around all of them. About 3 seasons ago, I got a Beretta A400 Extreme Plus and since then have hunted 27 species of waterfowl from teal to tundra swan in 18 states in every kind of weather. No jams...no issues...nada. I liked it so much that I bought the extended mag tube version for spring conservation snow geese. Same thing...no problems of any kind in lots of spring muddy conditions. Every guide I've hunted with has commented on the guns or asked me about them. Several guides have switched to them after handling mine and seeing it run well with no excuses.

I work my butt off all week running my business and then fly on weekends to hunts in different places. Time is money and I don't have time for mechanical excuses. I run these guns exclusively with Boss shells (normally 2 3/4" 5's no matter the species) and Carlson Cremator chokes (typically Mod except Full for spring snows). I've ended my search with this combo. You can't talk me out of it and I routinely clean up cripples wherever I go. If you hit them decently with this, it's done....including those freaky old squaws that come screaming in with big tail winds right off the waves and you lead them by a pickup truck length. Folds them up and they bounce for 20 feet. No cripples if I do my job.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Ive been using a Benelli SBE 2 for years. Finally had to replace the inertia spring and recoil spring last year. Until then I haven't had a single issue!

Rich M

WKR
I always saw the 870 as the duck gun. Of course my old man went and got a 1100s and 1187s so on any given day I might have a double, an 870, or one of the semis.

If yer gonna buy, get the ability to shoot 3.5 inch shells - just in case.