Duck hunting kayak

Ok guys and gals, what would be the best duck hunting kayak, Ive been doing some research trying to find one big enough to haul gear and stable enough to have a dog on. I would be using it as a fishing kayak also. If anyone has a setup or ideas let's see some pictures of what works best for you. My duck dogs are springer spaniels so not to big one 40 lbs and one closer to 60 lbs.

kparrott

Lil-Rokslider
Look at NuCanoe. Wide, stable platform, very open layout. The Pursuit should do everything you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S
I found a native slayer 14.5 foot but I wasn't sure how stable it would be or if it's quite as wide as the nucanoe you mentioned.

xziang

WKR
I know it isn't what you are looking for but I use a short Stillwater canoe which I love in some smaller marshes and lakes. I DON'T take the dog in it though or at least haven't yet. Room is tight with a dozen duck decoys and tighter if you take canadas too. Gun, robo, shells, and decoys the room will get pretty tight very quickly, especially if you try and find a spot for the dog(s). Yikes.

JBahr

Lil-Rokslider
I second the Native Kayaks! Living in Texas I hunted a lot of rivers solo and with limited access and very shallow waters sometimes it was the only option. I settled on the Ultimate 14.5 Tandem. I can fit 2 guys, 2 dozen decoys and gear or 1 guy, 100lb lab, 3 dozen decoys and gear and still be comfortable. I have even stuffed it with two guys guns, 100lb lab and pulled 3 dozen decoys in the floating sled behind us, wouldn't recommend that for long trips or paddling up river!

Very stable kayak, shallow draft. I tried sit on tops, no room, canoes were too tippy. I did find one guy that built outriggers for his native, these could be used on that or a canoe and it would really help with unpredictable dogs moving around.

colonel00

WKR
Packraft works :D

q6kl_jndRN5UPWax_TLQynmKV71UzdyFXHkQZXwz6jcTQ0qAcnBAOqlkjK4-WicXqArsgsRihbJ5PgHAPii43XcZKt54pUFpkFPxHK8sGNKcrDLktxauepL_xs5FMvou-3w-zWFihd5TUOZmS-s5bFd-_xC2jpDiKkGjnIAZCNtSDaMH5edd2SoWzPavEwHHA6zNjqVrRjIXu7FV5zaTpGn0I6PbmHGVweZ3k1XKnJ_7aAk6hbQVTYk_eMLbQBxDgHJeRLzdTxRlJlS1AG_LbZM19-dD0MlGrGzdKwC03IY26J-BAN5kALfsXsLbiZrrN7fTsFe5KNUp7znNVesqh43g1P40wuWb6durLmo8BbZZs0juTliye_44FxfVnYOIgc4qR7Cel3G2lfPGaerV6T3VH2ygzw-Df5Fjrj-S8W1_2sA0i1ckk6OcBl3FAmSH1xpoK3jkL3VfRnK4D-XZeIgWJQcv44Sd9ZKLsSv0B94mBemvUXkrD__su7r7ZoJxRHoMpVx7topxNJGy41DQe6A0uoyKTfMoY7Eo47jm9mki8ClVrtcJfvbHl0qyHlW-Ny1BmpKlU5QZgnIZ96gQVMsHAEcvTtPO_4nOW42WQzIOVrtbOwONItS-zrWqqSk0J_fN-h2tV6zm3iGr3jB69-ob7t7wN3eoRJUzaPksRuc=w1689-h950-no

slow

FNG
Take a look at Malibu Kayaks. Up until 3years ago, I lived on a sailboat for 12yrs. I've spent a more than a minute or two saltwater fishing from a kayak. Drop the kayak off the side and paddle out. I fished a Malibu Xtreme, could take a nap in it with no worries. Super stable. Still have it. A buddy had an Xfactor which might fit your needs. It has more freeboard, also very stable and beefy. Both have lots of storage and high weight capacities. They make a flatter lid for the front that I believe a dog could sit on. Your bigger dog would easily fit in the rear tankwell.

Pay attention to weight capacity. 300lbs in a kayak rated for 325-350 will float, but it won't be fun. Also, more freeboard may help keep water out and provide more storage, but catches more wind. Also, my Xtreme floated perpendicular with the wind which was great. Most others Ive seen immediately blow nose down without a chute.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've been using a pirogue for ducks, deer, and turkeys for years. It's great for shallow backwater.

dble07

Lil-Rokslider
Not exactly a kayak but I have an Otter Stealth 2000 that I've used for years for everything from duck hunting with my 90lb lab, to fishing, to frog gigging. This thing is really stable and virtually impossible to turn over. I bought the motor mount and put a 2.5 HP outboard on it for the bigger water.http://m.basspro.com/Stealth-2000-Duck-Boat/product/64621/

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have a Native Ultimate 14.5 Tandem. It can be used set up solo or tandem. It's perfect for hunting. I can carry decoys and the dog. Plenty of room and very stable. I can stand in it if I want. I have used the Native Ultimate 12 but it's too small for carrying much. The only drawback is that it is not self bailing like the sit on top but it's much lighter. I load it on the roof racks on my truck by myself.
Ultimate 14.5 Tandem - Hybrid Kayak - Native Watercraft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LifeAndLiberty

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the Native Ultimate here. Its on my short list, loved it when I got the chance to try it out, even though the salesman scolded me for shooting ducks instead of taking pictures, but hey he leaves giant holes in the faces of fish that are raised in a tank but who am I to judge. Incidentally, that's why I walked out of there without making the purchase and bought a used Jon boat instead.

Davebuech

WKR
Jackson Kayaks might be worth a look. I have a Cuda LT for fishing and Jackson did a good job in design & manufacture. The Kilroy DT would have plenty of room and stability for duck hunting, with room for a dog and is a sit inside design. The Coosa HD or Big Rig may be a viable sit on top alternative depending on your ultimate goals