Durable and silent water-resistant hunting pants?

GuideGun

FNG
Is anyone making a durable and quiet waterproof hunting pant these days? I don't want something heavy like traditional wool pants as I track deer on snow and would like something lighter. Would prefer wool material although it doesn't have to be. I'm aware of the First Lite wool pants but have read way too many durability issues to consider them. Tracking deer can be a 30 or 40 mile week through brush, snow, and cold. Durability, quietness, and water-resistance are utmost importance. Any options I should be made aware of?

Last edited:

taskswap

WKR
I love cheap gear and the Wrangler "Stretch Zip" pant from Walmart does the job for me. They won't hold off walking through a stream but a light spray just beads up on them and they dry very quickly. Drying quickly is more important to me than being "waterproof" because it also means sweat can dry through them. I drown in anything that's truly waterproof, even in the winter.

$27 a pair, can't beat it. Cell phone pocket is exactly in the right spot.

I love cheap gear and the Wrangler "Stretch Zip" pant from Walmart does the job for me. They won't hold off walking through a stream but a light spray just beads up on them and they dry very quickly. Drying quickly is more important to me than being "waterproof" because it also means sweat can dry through them. I drown in anything that's truly waterproof, even in the winter.

$27 a pair, can't beat it. Cell phone pocket is exactly in the right spot.

I wear those almost exclusively, as well. They're definitely NOT waterproof, but are somewhat water resistant, sort of. If you sit out half a day or all day in light rain, they'll definitely soak through. But for me, that's no big deal. I've survived worse.

OP
G

GuideGun

FNG
Are they quiet enough to stalk a buck within 30 yards of his bed? Quietness cannot be overstated and is absolutely paramount. I've got a bunch of Sitkas stuff and a couple of FL options. All too noisy. Branches and small trees brushing against the wrong material makes a lot of noise. When you're trying to cheat a 250lb buck on his own turf, every detail matters.

It seems that most European hunting garment manufactures are still using a lot of wool in their product lines. Might have to import what I'm looking for.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
If you can find Filson whipcords, they might work for you. You'll have to buy used as they don't make them anymore. Johnson Woolen mills makes them, but I not sure if they are as durable as the Filsons. I use Kuiu attack pants for what you're talking about. Water resistant and quiet enough for me.

Last edited:

jd1006

WKR
FL Corrugate Foundry for all around use. Sitka Thunderhead if you want better waterproofing, but you lose breathability.