E bike vs setting up a regular bike

Elite

WKR
I am looking for some insight and suggestions,

There is currently a e bike on sale for a good deal. 500w model that would be good for hunting. It is on sale for 1700cdn.

I am wondering if I should just buy a used regular mountain bike first and try the bike hunting

I mainly ride old rough atv trails and old narrow survey lines. Terrain can be hilly. Mainly hunt elk and moose in Alberta.

I am mainly wanting a e bike for sheep hunting in the mountains but the rules and regulations are extremely vague if they are considered a OHV which are not aloud in the mountains for sheep in a-lot of areas. My concern is I’ll be stuck with a heavy heavy bike to pedal with.

Also wondering if I should go a fat tire bike or a normal mountain bike for a non e bike.

I am looking to purchase the one at Costco and they do have a great return policy which is making me think of trying the e-bike first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ice-kub

Lil-Rokslider
Man if that sucker goes down and you have to pedal... I used to ride an old downhill mountain bike and boy was that thing heavy on any uphill section. It weighed 40+ lbs IIRC and it had a granny gear up front to "lighten the load"

I spend a lot of time on bikes. About 2,500 miles a year.

I don’t have an e-bike, but do have a couple of gravel bikes.

Climbing hills without an electric motor is a lot of work. You can do it with low gearing and bigger tires are helpful.

If I were you, I would stop by your local bike shop. In my experience, department store bikes are normally more problems than they are worth.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I should state that I am currently in decent shape. Gym a few times a week and normally hike for sheep

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I spend a lot of time on bikes. About 2,500 miles a year.

I don’t have an e-bike, but do have a couple of gravel bikes.

Climbing hills without an electric motor is a lot of work. You can do it with low gearing and bigger tires are helpful.

If I were you, I would stop by your local bike shop. In my experience, department store bikes are normally more problems than they are worth.

Do you hunt at all with them? I would imagine they are just easier to push up hills then peddling with a heavy pack on?

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Check out luna cycles website. I put their 1500 watt kit on an aluminum frame fat tire bike.
I have my doubts that 500w will pull much of a hill.

Thanks even with pedal assist?

I’m not hunting on mine.

Yes, I think you could push it up hill.

I’m guessing you would want a trailer of some kind to haul out a deer. Factor that into your plans.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I bought a pretty nice bike a few years ago, specifically for NW Montana logging roads. Kind of wish I’d got an e-bike, but for that context a regular bike works fine. Logging roads are not bad because there’s never any extreme hill climbs. That said, a long gradual uphill, even on fairly smooth gravel roads, can be a butt kicker, LOL. I find bikes are more hassle than their worth unless there’s some pretty easy grades and smooth trails. I’d just as well walk than push a bike or try to grind long uphill sections.
I pretty much just use mine for bear hunting and whitetail hunting. Where I elk hunt it’s just too steep and treacherous, a bike for me would be a hinderance. To each their own, there is a time and place for them, and a lot of guys use them. If the terrain suits it, they sure can make it easier to get way back in a place

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
You can set up a really nice and lightweight mountain bike for the cost of a cheap low, geared ebike. I don’t want to be pedaling a cheap and heavy 9 speed ebike when the battery runs out.

Thanks even with pedal assist?

Yeah I think you’ll be doing more assisting than you planned on. But if they’ll let you use it then bring it back, give it a shot.
I use mine for whitetail hunting around Oklahoma. It’s saved me a lot of steps but I’ve spent a good amount of time cussing it too. The chain jumps of with way less mud or snow than I thought it would, derailer get clogged up with grass, and if I’ve patched 1 flat tire Ive patched 15. It’s a big pile of Mickey Mouse components that aren’t really capable of doing what they’re advertised to do. If you think you’re gonna go yee-haw off trail through the mud, snow, brush, weeds, go ahead and do it just make sure you brought plenty of patches, your pump and alot of patience. Good luck.

ianpadron

WKR
Mountain bikes are lighter, more nimble, are actually legal on the trails most guys illegally use Ebikes, and are easier to work on if something goes wrong.

Bike shape is a whole different level of fitness but it greatly benefits you while hiking. Plus they're really fun and can be used for year round fitness.

I love my mountain bike!

Bakey

FNG
I bought a set of Tannus Armour tire inserts and that helped significantly with flats. But the tires are still only about as thick as my blue jeans. Junk.
I use Tannus Armour on my commuter bike. 40 miles a week, nearly all year round.

New Mexico has alot of goats heads and they stop all of them!

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
I have a trek 520 touring bike that I use primarily for hunting. I got it two seasons ago after taking a buddy to a spot that required an initial 5 mile hike on a hilly closed fire road. After our first hunt he said he had a touring bike he thought could handle those hill. I said no way and the next weekend we went out again. He road right up no problems with all his gear. I immediately got a bike of my own and have been using it since. Saves a ton of time getting to deeper places that I like to hunt and is really helpful getting meat out quickly in hotter months.

I don't have any experience hunting with an e bike but I did borrow a friends once to take water out to stash at a spot I was hunting that didn't have any. On my regular pedal bike it takes me about 40 min to ride out there. On my friends e bike I did it in about 12.

If rules and regs allow it in your area e bikes seem like the way to go. Even if you don't go e bike I highly recommend getting at least a regular bike to hunt off of.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Thanks for all the input everyone, How difficult are these big wide tire E tire bikes to pedal with no assistance? I would hate for the battery to die or something break on it

Ekrider

FNG
I put together a fat bike with a mid drive Electric motor kit. Besides having pedal assist it also has a thumb throttle which is way more helpful. I definitely think you could have a bad experience with some Box store E bikes. There’s a big difference between riding and a bike in the neighborhood versus riding mountain trails with a 30+ pound pack on your back.
As far as running out of battery power I really don’t think that’s a big issue it’s exactly like a gas tank in your vehicle, I can average over 20 miles just using my thumb throttle not even Peddling.

I put together a fat bike with a mid drive Electric motor kit. Besides having pedal assist it also has a thumb throttle which is way more helpful. I definitely think you could have a bad experience with some Box store E bikes. There’s a big difference between riding and a bike in the neighborhood versus riding mountain trails with a 30+ pound pack on your back.
As far as running out of battery power I really don’t think that’s a big issue it’s exactly like a gas tank in your vehicle, I can average over 20 miles just using my thumb throttle not even Peddling.
What fat tire bike and kit did you go with?