E bike vs setting up a regular bike

Would like to hear your feedback on it. A lot of these “off brand” fat tires seem similar to backcou or Rambo or what not without the camo… and 4k less expensive.
The difference would be very noticeable on a trail, especially one involving any climbs or descents.

These Bakcou/Rambo bikes are clunky, but at least most of them seem to use mid-drive systems and somewhat better components compared to the flat-suburban-bike-path-oriented hub-drive stuff with the cheapest parts available.

Last edited:

Fowl Play

WKR
Would like to hear your feedback on it. A lot of these “off brand” fat tires seem similar to backcou or Rambo or what not without the camo… and 4k less expensive.
I have 2x both with tons of miles on them. Highly recommend for anything short of true mountain hunting. And just FYI, Rad is not “off brand” it’s the largest e-bike company in the US. Great costumer service as well.

And just FYI, Rambo bikes are extremely overrated and way overpriced. Pieces of junk in my opinion. If you are willing to drop that kind of money. Look elsewhere. I have several buddies I hunt with, with Rambo bikes. 7 total. Every single one of them has had major issues. The derailers might as well be made out of glass. We don’t go one trip without at least one of them walking the bike back to put in another warranty claim for something else breaking.

Last edited:

Hnthrdr

WKR
I have 2x both with tons of miles on them. Highly recommend for anything short of true mountain hunting. And just FYI, Rad is not “off brand” it’s the largest e-bike company in the US. Great costumer service as well.

And just FYI, Rambo bikes are extremely overrated and way overpriced. Pieces of junk in my opinion. If you are willing to drop that kind of money. Look elsewhere. I have several buddies I hunt with, with Rambo bikes. 7 total. Every single one of them has had major issues. The derailers might as well be made out of glass. We don’t go one trip without at least one of them walking the bike back to put in another warranty claim for something else breaking.
Appreciate the info. I figure if im going to drop more than 1.5k on something it better be a specialized or an actual Mt bike company. Definitely going to give Rad a hard look

Fowl Play

WKR
Appreciate the info. I figure if im going to drop more than 1.5k on something it better be a specialized or an actual Mt bike company. Definitely going to give Rad a hard look
If you will regularly be doing steep inclines get a mid drive. The hub motor rad rovers are nice for gradual hills, etc. unfortunately I do not have any personal experience with any mid drives besides Rambo’s which I can’t recommend.

I have an ATX 970 i bought in 1999. It’s range is unlimited.

Highly recommend a Mt Bike over an E bike. E bikes are for Chicago commuting or gravel bike trails.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Thanks for all the responses everyone. Curious how hard it is to pedal with a heavy pack on your back or if a trailer is needed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drdrop

FNG
Anything uphill at more than a slight grade will be tough, so I typically hop off and push. I would make the trailer decision on trail conditions. Narrow, curvy, up and down all make trailers tougher to pull.

tuffcrk14

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the responses everyone. Curious how hard it is to pedal with a heavy pack on your back or if a trailer is needed?

Having ridden my pedal bike with a hunting weight pack (35lb not counting my bow) for distances over four miles one way, my hind end starts to hurt. In the off-season, I found a kid’s bike trailer for dirt cheap that a neighbor was selling and put my gear in that instead of on my back for my mountain biking hunts. It was MUCH better. You feel a little more pull on the uphill, but without a trailer I was usually walking my bike up the hill anyway to give my back end a break. Only drawback to a kid’s bike trailer is you can’t go down single track hiking/biking trails. There are companies out there that make a single wheel type trailer designed for that though. I have so many logging roads where I hunt that it doesn’t really matter to me a cheap kid’s trailer works great for me. It has a rain cover too. Just keep in mind that you may be slightly louder with a trailer on your bike, but it’s not significant. I usually dump the trailer when I start to hear elk or get to an area I know they tend to be. I rode a bike with no trailer for several seasons and you just kind of embrace the suck sometimes. I would recommend an anti chafing balm though regardless. Body glide makes a mini stick that I always keep in my pack and has proved helpful. Hope this helps!

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Anything uphill at more than a slight grade will be tough, so I typically hop off and push. I would make the trailer decision on trail conditions. Narrow, curvy, up and down all make trailers tougher to pull.
Same experience.

You don't want a heavy pack while riding. The center of gravity will throw you off. (You will figure out very quickly how much you utilize your upper body positioning while riding technical trails.)

I had a Bakcou Mule ST with single wheel trailer. Used it for elk hunting. I tested trailer with 120 pounds (At home) Seemed like I could handle it. (Incorrect!) Reality is it is fine on straight away, but if you make turns things get dicey quickly.

When I took it elk hunting, I biffed it 3 times on initial ride. (Trailer had ~ 70 lbs). It was a semi technical trail. (Horse and motorcycle) The weight shifting while riding/turning is not at all like regular riding. (And the trailer attaches at rear axle) If your trailer attaches on seat post, I expect even worse performance. YMMV.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Ended up snagging an x-peak fat tire that is showing up early February will be interested to see how it performs

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased a Rad Rover 6 at the end of the summer. I used it on an antelope/ mule deer hunt in Wyoming, ran the heck out of it at my whitetail lease, and used it in the mud and marsh hunting sika deer on Maryland's lower eastern shore. I loved it, plain and simple. Most of my trails were two tracks but lots of mud, flooded-over trails, and a few gnarly spots out west. Added the rack on the front, with some kolpin holders for the bow/gun. Added the basket and bought an after-market wagon for hauling does/sika deer.

Quiet, cuts down on scent, great for leaving a scent drag and cuts down on time to the location. Price was right at $1700 with a two year warranty shipped to my house.