E-Scouting Bears

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
I guess my definition of spot and stalk might be different from yours, Hannibal. Spot and stalk, is calculated by recording the bear harvests that come by any means other than bait or hounds. By definition, your method is "spot and stalk." Find animal, stalk animal, kill animal. From the sounds of it, you're walking waterways and glassing the edges of lakes, locating bears, stalking and making a kill. Did I miss something?

This thread gives me the old Alone guy thread vibes, just saying.

I’ve had good success finding spring bears in Montana by hunting a couple hundred feet in elevation below the snow line on southerly aspects. Heads of drainages that connect multiple drainages are also good places to keep on eye on as it naturally funnels them up and down. If you find scat that is more green than dark it’s not old and unless that bear is spooked it’s hanging around somewhere and can be found. Good luck and check for ticks! 🤘🏼

OP
S
"By any means other than hounds" ?... Would that include calling or even the use of hounds, which might also be considered forms of spot, and stalk? Are methods of interception spot, and stalk? Would interception of black bears along their routes of travel be considered spot, and stalk? Or what about interception of bears in their feeding areas? If so, wouldn't baiting be considered a form of spot and stalk? Traditional methods of spot, and stalk require glassing or surveying large general areas, the "more is better approach" as opposed to pinpointing exact areas which bears frequent for the express purpose of interception. There is clearly a dramatic difference between interception of black bears in their home territory, and the "I'll glass vast areas, primarily open hillsides, because I'm unfamiliar with the habits of black bears, and maybe I'll get lucky if I cover enough "ground" tactic. And I'm not quite sure why someone who is familiar with the habits of black bears would need the use of a spotting scope or binoculars to glass, and intercept black bears along their travel routes, or feeding areas much less require any mobility for the purpose stalking. Hopefully you understand the distinct difference between the "more is better" spot, and stalk method as opposed to more precise methods of interception of black bears, a considerably more effective method then one which offers a 95% probability of failure....🐻
Thank you for your comments! This is some really good advice, and it differs from what a lot of folks are out there saying. It's another tool in the chest.

To the original intent of my question. When you're e scouting are there any particular features of a creek or river that you're looking for? Gravel Bars, areas with a lot of bends, taller thicker vegetation than the surrounding area, shorter less dense vegetation than the surrounding area?

If you like precise interception are you setting up blinds and doing long sits or are you able to time the comings and goings in these spots?

kct802

FNG
A guy with the same user name has started the exact same conversations on other bear forums. We are lucky to have a guy on here who is so passionate about the way other people hunt and is never wrong.

Deadfall

WKR
I like scouting on the inner web...if you have a full blown computer at home, onx has a cool 3d option. You can zoom in then go to 3d and really flatten it out. Gives a real good interpretation of what terrain is like.

This year I'm checking out a bunch of new country. Can do alot of recon on computer and get a pretty good idea what I'm in for.

Hannibal said it pretty accurately. Creeks and swamps.

Would add if can find a steep draw that's rocky on atleast one side and runs into a creek. Be a good starting point

BackCountryMulies

Lil-Rokslider
I'm starting the planning for a spring bear hunt here in MT (my first bear hunt) and am doing some E-scouting of areas and realized I don't think I have a solid idea of what kinds of terrain / features to be looking for. I saw a couple while scouting / hunting elk last year so I have an idea of where to start looking but I'm more curious about if I'm looking for green slopes on aerial footage, do benches matter, access to streams / rivers that kind of stuff.

Or is spring bear mostly a boots on the ground "look for the food" thing and e scouting isn't quite as helpful as with deer/elk?
E-scouting is tough for bears because snow conditions can play a major role in where I will find them and they are constantly moving as the season progresses. What I primarily look for on google earth is heavily timbered areas normally north / north west slopes with a patchy timbered south / south east slope and good meadows. I seem to find the majority of my bears in the upper 1/2 to 1/3 of canyons and on the upper 1/2 to 1/3 of the ridges in those canyons. Rarely do I find bears especially mature boars lower in the valleys although that being said hotter days towards the end of may they can and will move to cooler areas by creeks. If I were to e-scout I would primary scout glassing locations find high spots you can glass miles of multiple canyons and those upper portions of multiple ridges. Hope that helps