Early archery hunting pants SW MT?

Rawhide67

FNG
I'm the market for some new early season pants. I tend to run of the hot side so breathablity is important. I'm also a spot and stock guy so quietness is a priority. What does everyone recomend?

TL406

Lil-Rokslider
Prana Stretch Zion

Edit: just realized this is a bad recommendation because the new version on the Stretch Zion that is available for purchase now is apparently garbage. They switched the pants material and now they’re apparently WAY worse….so I guess if you can find some used Pranas from pre-2021, then you’re onto something.

Last edited:
I am always hot. It's snowing outside right now and I have the window open. I also love the spot and stalk.

My personal favorites are Kuiu Katana. They are not the quietest at first but they get to be acceptable if you wear them and wash them a couple of times. For me the biggest thing is how breathable they are. Kuiu attack are quiter, but they're warmer. So between the two it depends on what is most important.

I have never spooked an elk because of my Katana pants...it's always because elk are smarter than me.

crazyhawksfan

Lil-Rokslider
I am always hot. It's snowing outside right now and I have the window open. I also love the spot and stalk.

My personal favorites are Kuiu Katana. They are not the quietest at first but they get to be acceptable if you wear them and wash them a couple of times. For me the biggest thing is how breathable they are. Kuiu attack are quiter, but they're warmer. So between the two it depends on what is most important.

I have never spooked an elk because of my Katana pants...it's always because elk are smarter than me.
Haven't tried the katanas. But I second the attacks. I wear them September thru October. The zipper breather pockets are clutch.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

goetzc

FNG
I can't speak for SW Montana weather but I did a lot of research and settled on the Sitka Apex pant.
Lightweight, comfortable and well designed were all the recommendations I read/watched and they sure seem like it to me even though I have not tested them on a mountain hunt yet.

Marble

WKR
Prana Stretch Zion

Edit: just realized this is a bad recommendation because the new version on the Stretch Zion that is available for purchase now is apparently garbage. They switched the pants material and now they’re apparently WAY worse….so I guess if you can find some used Pranas from pre-2021, then you’re onto something.
I really like these pants, but they are not as durable as my Sitka Mt. Pants. I've been wearing g those for a couple years now. They are uninsulated, have knee pads if you want them, and are very very comfortable. I've worn them in all conditions August through Nov and love them. I tend to run warm too.

I still wear my Pranas a couple days a week though. I wear them at the ranch coyote hunting if its warm and sitting in the stand.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: TK

Maidenfan539

Lil-Rokslider
Used Stone Glacier De Havilland Lite pants last year. Temp were 30's to upper 70's. The fully open vent pockets helped dump heat even with long johns on.

DanimalW

WKR
I had a pair of pranas and attacks in Montana last September. The attacks were too warm for me. Like that feeling of having sweat stuck to the inside of old school cotton sweat pants. I just ordered a pair of the Eddie Bauer guide pro pants on sale to see how they compare to pranas. Heard good things about the kutanas, but also heard they fit tighter than attacks.

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
SW Montana can and likely will be both very hot and very cold while you are there. I also get hot easily and wore the Sitka mountain pant and was very happy with the choice using it for my only pair on the hunt. It handles heat rather well when hiking but also works great when it cools down keeping you warm. SW Montana will go from very cold overnight to hot during the day and as soon as the sun drops it's instantly cold again. Just my experience in that climate, hope you find a good pair for your hunt!

Elk97

WKR
Like Augie said, your'e going to be cold in the morning and evening and hot during the day. I wear a light pair of First light pants, corrugate I think. They are very light but have held up well for several years now. I wear the Kuiu merino zip off thermals under them so I can take off/put on without removing boots. Bring a warm pair of pants too, it could snow a bunch and stay cold.

CMF

WKR
I have Kuiu attack, Tiburon, and some zions. If you run hot, I’d go with tiburons, they are really breathable. If it’s a little chilly I’ll put some zip off thermal bottoms on until I warm up. The attacks are much warmer than the Tiburons

lintond

WKR
What I learned on my hunt to Wyoming a few years ago is bring all your stuff with you in the truck. Cold pants, rain pants, etc. that way if the weather shifts mid trip you can adjust your kit and get back out hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huntnnw

WKR
Haven't tried the katanas. But I second the attacks. I wear them September thru October. The zipper breather pockets are clutch.

No way I could wear the attacks on most September days. The only time they get worn is when I know its cold or raining. The Kutanas are far better in warm weather

crazyhawksfan

Lil-Rokslider
No way I could wear the attacks on most September days. The only time they get worn is when I know its cold or raining. The Kutanas are far better in warm weather
How do they compare in fabric? Are they noisier then the attacks?

Huntnnw

WKR
How do they compare in fabric? Are they noisier then the attacks?

I didnt find them noiser at all and never once noticed them or thought these pants are loud. I wore them 17 days in Sept last year and by far the best warm season pant I have ever worn. Attacks for me are a Oct-Nov pant for the most part. To thick and warm to hike in 70 deg weather