East to West Part I: Planning Your First Backpack Hunt

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Part II will post Saturday. I'll put a notification in this thread. You guys will like this article.

RedRidge

WKR
Really enjoyed your write up! Being an eastern dweller most of my time, I can relate. I took on a DIY OTC archery hunt this past season and couldn't agree more on your tips. I didn't not fill my tag, but am eager to get back out there. I learned a lot about my gear setup for sure. Congrats on a awesome first mule deer too.

Zddog

FNG
Thanks for the info. My father and buddy have been trying to plan a diy elk hunt for the past 3 years, but would be our first one and this article definitely helps.

Thanks Robby. I'm from Alabama also so I'm looking forward to reading through these articles.

Here's a quick rundown of the gear I've grown to trust over my years of backpacking.

Stove - MSR Pocket Rocket. There are lighter options out there now, but this stove has never failed me. Isobutane stoves can be difficult to use in winter conditions, but if you put the fuel canister in your sleeping bag with you before using it that can usually get it to work unless you are in well below freezing conditions, in which case a white gas stove is likely needed. My method of cooking in the backcountry also leaves no need for the ability to simmer. With freezer bag cooking, all I need to do is boil water and then pour it in a quart freezer bag and set it off to the side in a cozy to heat and rehydrate my meal for 10 minutes.

Sleeping Pad - Thermarest Neoair: I've used a neoair since 2009, still using the same one with no repairs or issues with air lose. If you take the time to check your tent sight and make sure you have the area clear of anything sharp, you should be fine with this pad for several years.

Sleeping Bag - Western Mountaineering Caribou MF or Alpinelite: Depending on what the forecast and record lows for the time I'll be hunting show, I'll use one of these two bags. I've found the WM bags to be very conservatively rated and they compress very well for me.

Shelter - I've used a TarpTent Double Rainbow for the last few years and a silnylon tarp and bivy a fair amount as well. This is one of those items I'll likely continue to experiment with as different situations can call for different shelters. My tarptent can be a condensation factory in the right conditions and my tarp and bivy can leave a little to be desired in the protection department in really rough weather (I had an 8x8 tarp and will be going to a 10x10 for that reason in the future).

Pack - I'm currently inbetween packs. I've owned Kifaru and Stone Glacier packs and had issues with both, but am currently waiting on a new Kifaru to test out and see if I gave up on it too quickly initially a couple years ago. The stone glacier was a bombproof pack for me, but when it came to loads over 100 lbs, left a little to be desired in the comfort department. I'm hoping the updated duplex and belt will address my previous issues with Kifaru, but time will tell.

Headlamp - I've had a zebralight for the last couple years and have no issues with it at all. It's a lot more durable than the black diamond spot I ran for several years.

Footwear - Inov8 Roclite 295's have worked very well for me over the last couple years. I'll likely buy a new pair when the time comes to replace the ones I'm currently using.

Raingear - I've used a lot of different raingear, and have found the Sitka dewpoint pants and jacket I currently own to be the best for how I use raingear. They've kept me dry in some torrential downpours and do a fair job of shedding heat when I used them while hiking.

Trekking Poles - I've used black diamond elliptical contour poles for the last six years and don't have a need to change as they've worked well for me. I'm not even sure the model I own is for sale anymore, but I particular like the flick lock design they use over the twist lock design of other poles.

If there's any other gear you want me to discuss, just name it and I'll let you know what I've come to like over the years.
Just curios how old are you? 100 lb. Hiking bag is crazy big. What is your training schedule like? Thanks

Eagle

WKR
Just curios how old are you? 100 lb. Hiking bag is crazy big. What is your training schedule like? Thanks
At the time I was 30. I no longer do training hikes that heavy. Had another mule deer hunt this last season and hiked daily all summer 3-4 miles with 50lbs. Hiked out after successful with a roughly 100lb load and had no issues.

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
Did a site update and some of these older links didn't transfer. Try it now
Any chance these articles are still floating around somewhere in internet space? Thanks!

edit - Found part 1 using google and am able to read it. Unfortunately cant locate part 2.

Second edit - Disregard. Found them both by googling the titles!

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Any chance these articles are still floating around somewhere in internet space? Thanks!

edit - Found part 1 using google and am able to read it. Unfortunately cant locate part 2.

Second edit - Disregard. Found them both by googling the titles!
great, and you can always use the search function (magnifying glass) on our homepage