Eastern Washington Elk Scouting

Howdy, folks.

As an eastern WA resident, I've been concentrating on Idaho elk the past couple years. However, I wasn't able to get a tag for this coming season and will be concentrating on my own back yard (Northeastern WA). I'm hoping y'all can help me focus my scouting efforts. Out of units like 111, 113, 117, 121, and 124: aside from elk sign itself, what kinds of habitat are you looking for when you're scouting for elk? Certain types of drainage's? Higher or lower elevation? North or south facing ridges? Certain food sources? Heavy timber or clear cuts? Is there a certain terrain that might indicate bedding area? Not that I'm seeking answers to these questions specifically, but these are examples of questions I have.

Unfortunately, my body isn't able to handle the mileage it once used to, so I'm trying to maximize the mileage I do have when I'm able to be in the woods. My general strategy is to find areas of interest on OnX and then put boots on the ground. Anything that can help me focus my attention, whether with OnX or in the woods, is greatly appreciated.

Strength and honor,
Jake

KP87

FNG
Best of luck to you! I am headed out for my first time this week to scout and stick out a few cameras and I'll be back out mid month. I can't answer your specifics but I have found some YouTube videos with helpful information for e-scouting.

Gritty has a art of finding elk playlist with the owner of tree line pursuits. He does a "academy" for e-scouting course. I haven't taken the course but the podcast has been really helpful trying to read the territory and determine good spots.

Cam107

Lil-Rokslider
In the units 117 and 121 I also hunt elk for archery, and have had luck finding elk, it's all a game of chance, what you see on YouTube won't work for here as our elk numbers are low and elk tend to travel alot and will be low in the mornings and going high or dark timber for the afternoon, or vise versa depending on the terrain they are in, the may go high at night and low in the mornings and elk won't be visible at dusk they still active after dark as I scouted tonight and heard 3 bulls bugle... good luck

dr.derek

FNG
I bet local land owners would be able to point you in a decent direct. I got permission to hunt a farm there because they were tired of the elk ruining their field

Cam107

Lil-Rokslider
You one of the lucky ones, here most land owners I have been to basically tell ya go pound sand to hunt their property, but I have found areas that are state land that have elk on them

Huntnnw

WKR
its boot leather, e scouting will not do much for you. You will find elk where you find them in NE WA. Find them near farm fields to mountain tops to everywhere in between.