Easy ES reduction & accuracy tip.

huntnful

WKR
I know some, maybe even most guys on here may do this. BUT I know some may not, and it helps a bunch. By simply taking a power drill and an oversized nylon bore brush (.30 cal brush for .28 cal case), brush out the necks of your cases. I did two small batches, side by side, one with brushing one without.

Without Brushing the neck:
Chattery/unsmooth bullet insertion
30fps ES
1/2 MOA groups

With Brushing the neck:
Noticeably smooth and consistent bullet insertion
10fps ES
3/8 MOA groups

The tighter groups could just be happen stance, however I think they come with the more consistent overall round. But the reduction in ES and smooth bullet seating are a very apparent benefit. This is by far the easiest and what seems to be a very beneficial step to reloading. You can grab 10 cases at a time and brush them out in 15 seconds. Hopefully this helps somebody tighten things up a bit!!

I'm sure some people will say they get great ES and accuracy without doing this. But for a few minutes of time, I think it's a very important and EASY step.

sneaky

"DADDY"
It's the same reason guys pay attention to neck tension and set everything up accordingly. Every little bit helps

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

cutback

FNG
I've always wrapped 0000 steel wool on a brush to do the same thing. I never thought of using a nylon brush...

Interesting. I’ve run them over a brush on the rcbs case prep station if worried about shavings from the giraud trimmer or leftover cleaning media residue but never taken it to this level.

tdhanses

WKR
Interesting idea, I’ve never tried this.

OP do you tumble your brass as well? Do you use a dry lube on your bullets or case neck as well?

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
Meh. I’ve found that es has more to do with the speed node than anything.
100% correct. It does have to do more with the node than anything. But this can easily lower the ES in a given scenario. Not saying you can have 100fps ES and brush the necks and drop it to 10 lol
Interesting idea, I’ve never tried this.

OP do you tumble your brass as well? Do you use a dry lube on your bullets or case neck as well?
Yeah I tumble and anneal also. No lubes though.
Need more info on this...
You find the .2 increment of grains that give you the least increase or decrease in velocity between the load. A lot to explain, but there’s some YouTube videos on it!!

tdhanses

WKR
100% correct. It does have to do more with the node than anything. But this can easily lower the ES in a given scenario. Not saying you can have 100fps ES and brush the necks and drop it to 10 lol

Yeah I tumble and anneal also. No lubes though.

You find the .2 increment of grains that give you the least increase or decrease in velocity between the load. A lot to explain, but there’s some YouTube videos on it!!
You should try the lube, makes a big difference in ES and only adds a second to loading.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How clean do you make the necks? Are you just running it in and out? If it leaves a little carbon, it probably knocking it to a minimum that makes it work.

I haven't cleaned necks, I just leave the carbon so graphite sticks to it. After sizing with a bump, I run a graphite covered mop in the necks. Clean brass doesn't hold the graphite. Makes the steps of mandrel sizing and seating bullets simple. Makes consistent bullet releases too.

That's the trick at work here, getting a consistent release between bullet and case neck.

Some say clean brass necks and copper jackets will create a bond over time. The carbon/lube inhibits that bonding. Probably not an issue with fresh ammo. But, if it sits a long time it can be an issue apparently.

OP
huntnful

huntnful

WKR
How clean do you make the necks? Are you just running it in and out? If it leaves a little carbon, it probably knocking it to a minimum that makes it work.

I haven't cleaned necks, I just leave the carbon so graphite sticks to it. After sizing with a bump, I run a graphite covered mop in the necks. Clean brass doesn't hold the graphite. Makes the steps of mandrel sizing and seating bullets simple. Makes consistent bullet releases too.

That's the trick at work here, getting a consistent release between bullet and case neck.

Some say clean brass necks and copper jackets will create a bond over time. The carbon/lube inhibits that bonding. Probably not an issue with fresh ammo. But, if it sits a long time it can be an issue apparently.
I just run the brush in and out pretty quickly. Not polishing it by any means. But I totally understand what you're saying about the potential for super clean brass to bond to the copper bullet over time. I've heard of that also, but never experienced it.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just run the brush in and out pretty quickly. Not polishing it by any means. But I totally understand what you're saying about the potential for super clean brass to bond to the copper bullet over time. I've heard of that also, but never experienced it.
Makes sense, you are probably knocking carbon to a minimum and consistent level. Loose carbon might even be a "lubricant".

If guys have left necks alone before, your suggestion seems worth the effort for sure.

stevevan

WKR
Excellent tip. I learned something new today.

When I shot competitive benchrest I obviously had to turn my necks down for a tight neck chamber .262 neck for a 6ppc. I cleaned the inside every time before reloading.

Brass prep is critical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk