eBay Scam - beware

SWOHTR

WKR
All,

In case you don't deal with eBay frequently (I don't): in order to get a customer service call, you need to request a call from eBay and they will call you, not the other way around. So if you google "ebay customer service" any number you find is probably bunk. This is what I did, talked to some asshole named Christian, and told me that the reason I was having account problems was due to $1,900 worth of pending false charges to my account. I said, OK, I can believe that to some extent. He then directed me to download "AnyDesk" on my phone, which is an app to allow someone else remote access to your device. At this point I asked very pointed questions - "Why does eBay need access to my phone?" "Where are these pending charges, I can't see them on my eBay account?" "Why hasn't eBay notified me about this fraudulent/suspect activity?"

He got very short with me. I hung up.

So, beware out there. This is the first time I've seen/heard of a scam like this before (it's quite a bit different than the Nigerian Prince in exile scam).

Joe

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
All,

In case you don't deal with eBay frequently (I don't): in order to get a customer service call, you need to request a call from eBay and they will call you, not the other way around. So if you google "ebay customer service" any number you find is probably bunk. This is what I did, talked to some asshole named Christian, and told me that the reason I was having account problems was due to $1,900 worth of pending false charges to my account. I said, OK, I can believe that to some extent. He then directed me to download "AnyDesk" on my phone, which is an app to allow someone else remote access to your device. At this point I asked very pointed questions - "Why does eBay need access to my phone?" "Where are these pending charges, I can't see them on my eBay account?" "Why hasn't eBay notified me about this fraudulent/suspect activity?"

He got very short with me. I hung up.

So, beware out there. This is the first time I've seen/heard of a scam like this before (it's quite a bit different than the Nigerian Prince in exile scam).

Joe

Thanks for letting us know. #ScumbagsGoToHell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk