Kowa Serial Number Verification.. Frustrating

Long story short purchased a Kowa 553 used on eBay. All looks legit but wanted to verify with Kowa.

I call their CA office, and get told they can’t verify the serial number and if it says made in Japan then it’s legit. I laughed and said yeah right you have to be kidding right? Said all they could do is email Japan to verify serial number and it would take 1-2 weeks

I even spoke with their local sales rep and he said the same thing

This is a very small example of their customer service and I’ve read many good customer service reviews on here but wanted to bring some light onto this issue because this is simply ridiculous to me that they can’t simply verify via a serial number over the phone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Common sense stuff

I hate when stupid stuff like that happens.

Good luck - I’m sure you’ll be good

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I just received confirmation, the spotter is legit, (per the serial you provided) and it was shipped from Japan to the US on May 23 this year. As far as your question of warranty, it would be handled by Kowa USA out of Torrance, CA.

I'd ask you to edit the title of this thread, as it is misleading.

I was also made aware of who you spoke to today, and I spoke with him. He quoted you "1-2 days" to find out the authenticity of the serial number. It was also explained why it would take a few days. At no time was there a discussion of "weeks" as was relayed to me.

As for your comment that "this is simply ridiculous to me that they can’t simply verify via a serial number over the phone", I can understand your frustration, but also understand why given the explanation you were today. I do know that my experience and that of many of my hunting buddies has been top notch with Kowa and their customer service.

Happy to help, and hope you get a great deal on this spotter. (y)

OP
T
I just received confirmation, the spotter is legit, (per the serial you provided) and it was shipped from Japan to the US on May 23 this year. As far as your question of warranty, it would be handled by Kowa USA out of Torrance, CA.

I'd ask you to edit the title of this thread, as it is misleading.

I was also made aware of who you spoke to today, and I spoke with him. He quoted you "1-2 days" to find out the authenticity of the serial number. It was also explained why it would take a few days. At no time was there a discussion of "weeks" as was relayed to me.

As for your comment that "this is simply ridiculous to me that they can’t simply verify via a serial number over the phone", I can understand your frustration, but also understand why given the explanation you were today. I do know that my experience and that of many of my hunting buddies has been top notch with Kowa and their customer service.

Happy to help, and hope you get a great deal on this spotter. (y)

First I want to thank you for taking the time to verify that the optic is legit, I appreciate your help.

However I’m not sure we talked to the same person… I forget the customer service person’s name I spoke with but the Sale Rep was Peter. If we both talked to Peter let me share my side of the experience. I have no benefit in lying or misrepresenting the truth here… I told him that customer service told me 1-2 weeks and Peter confirmed and said there’s nothing he can do. He was fairly short and didn’t offer any type of solutions. After that confirmation I was pretty frustrated and ended the conversation quickly, very short call.

Had he quoted me 1-2 days, I would have gladly accepted because I still have some time to return the optic in the case it was a fake. 1-2 weeks pushed me right up against the rerun date.

If it wasn’t Peter, than I think the person you worked with spoke with someone else.

Often times I hold back reviews that are less than ideal and don’t post up publically because no one company is perfect. However, after hearing how great Kowa is and then experiencing the exact opposite, I thought it fair to bring it to others attention.

I want to again express my appreciation and gratitude for you going out of your way to verify my optic. I edited the title to reflect the help you and Doug provided me, however I still believe the two Kowa employees I spoke to today both earned the “what a joke” title