Ebike for elk hunting: pulled the trigger!

Did a lot of research on Hunting Ebikes with a $2500 budget in mind. Looked at the Radrovers in the $1500 range but, although well built and priced, they only offer a rear Hub motor: not great for steep hills.

Also looked at the MS2 Ultra. Prob the most powerful bike I researched and well built but was $2700 before adding any accessories. Plus it is a class 3 bike

Ended up deciding on a Rambo 750watt Pursuit. Has a mid drive motor for steep hills, and the bike and accessories delivered To my door was $2480. It is about the most powerful class 2 bike in my price range. Wanted to stay with class 2 since they has Already been approved for BLM and National parks. But there are plenty of ATV only trails that I want to try them on.

There are a LOT of choices these days Which is good. Many more than just a couple of years ago. I believe I made a good choice for me, but your needs/ finances may be different. I know more than I did a couple weeks ago 🤪, but riding the bike will be the real test. The one thing that would have been nice would have been a front suspension. But that is an option I can add for about $160 if I decide I want to in the future.

bsnedeker

WKR
Nice! I've got the Rambo Nomad...got a really good deal on an open box unit and I've been driving it around and have taken it out on one scouting trip...love it! You will want to buy a new seat for it first thing unless you are an avid mountain biker who is already used to a hard saddle on a bike.

I'm thinking next year I might buy the 21 Ah battery which would really expand the range capability of the bike. I'm really looking forward to using it to cruise logging roads next spring for bear hunting out here in NW MT!

OP
txhunter581
Purchased mine at ebikegenerations:

https://ebikegeneration.com/

John is very knowledgeable and helpful and carries a variety of different bikes. He also offers a good discount. I saved quite a bit of money buying from him

Where did you buy your replacement seat and what style? Also where would you buy a more powerful batter that is comparable with the Rambos. All I see is the 10.4AH with my model. The more powerful ones seem to be model specific and don’t include the Pursuit

Last edited:

LBSpear30

FNG
NIce. I bought an open box Rambo Bushwhacker last month and love it. I hauled my 4 year old around on the trailer to set out some trail cameras yesterday. One thing I found out the hard way, I would not buy the carrier that they sell at the SportsmansGuide. The part that holds the top of the bike down wore through the padding and into my bike frame on the first use.

I ordered the m2s ultra ht and I can't wait for it to come!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjihrig

FNG
To you guys on the ebike wave. Not trying to pick a fight in the locker room but curious what your thoughts are on wilderness areas. The mountain bike community is pushing hard for wilderness access and I’m really hoping they don’t get it. Just curious what the thoughts are with folks who have one foot in each camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I've been playing with my Ebike for a couple months in the hills around my house. I'm not using mine for elk hunting.

I did the Bafang US kit, adding it to my 29er...and I put new Shimano zee brakes on while I was at it. I figured it didn't stop well with my 6'4" 240#...add 30# to the bike and I'm sure glad I did.
fullsizeoutput_279b.jpeg
I would say that these bikes work great in flat to low rolling fire roads and such- like the country pictured [Mt Diablo state park]

I think guys will have a rude awakening trying to pump up a steep wet single track...or even worse...going back down especially with a trailer or a lot of weight.

I finally dialed in my chain issues- those universal link chains don't hold up to steep hills and these e bikes....bring a chain tool and extra link in your kit.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
been watching regulations on these ebikes, as I'm not getting any younger.
However none of my public hunt areas; gated Forest Service roads, FS trails and trails in wilderness areas allow ebikes or any motorized assisted travel.
too bad as one wilderness area trail I hunt is pretty flat, easy terrain hike for 5 miles on closed logging road then branches out to trails with elevation gains. That flat stretch of closed FRoad would be so much faster on ebike.

OP
txhunter581
If you are taking FS road/trails OUTSIDE a wilderness area then I have no problem if they legalize those, and they prob will eventually. Up to a class 2 bike is on the table for non- motorized trails in national forests. Already legal on BLM and National Park trails.

But if you are talking about trails within the wilderness, then I would never be for letting any bikes in there, regular or Ebikes

OP
txhunter581
I've been playing with my Ebike for a couple months in the hills around my house. I'm not using mine for elk hunting.

I did the Bafang US kit, adding it to my 29er...and I put new Shimano zee brakes on while I was at it. I figured it didn't stop well with my 6'4" 240#...add 30# to the bike and I'm sure glad I did.
View attachment 203144
I would say that these bikes work great in flat to low rolling fire roads and such- like the country pictured [Mt Diablo state park]

I think guys will have a rude awakening trying to pump up a steep wet single track...or even worse...going back down especially with a trailer or a lot of weight.

I finally dialed in my chain issues- those universal link chains don't hold up to steep hills and these e bikes....bring a chain tool and extra link in your kit.

nice job! And much cheaper.

Also, I hear you on being careful on steep areas. I am pretty cautious and will prob take along my actual backpack in case I need to unload my trailer, etc and haul on my back down steep areas.

Last edited:

bsnedeker

WKR
I also agree that no bikes, ebikes or regular, should ever be allowed in wilderness areas. There are plenty of other places you can ride, no reason to encroach on true wilderness.

bsnedeker

WKR
Purchased mine at ebikegenerations:

https://ebikegeneration.com/

John is very knowledgeable and helpful and carries a variety of different bikes. He also offers a good discount. I saved quite a bit of money buying from him

Where did you buy your replacement seat and what style? Also where would you buy a more powerful batter that is comparable with the Rambos. All I see is the 10.4AH with my model. The more powerful ones seem to be model specific and don’t include the Pursuit

I just re-used a seat that I bought for my old mountain bike 20 some years ago. It's made by Schwinn...nothing special but it is wide and has a nice cushion to it so that is what I would look for. Lots of options these days.

I work within the cycling industry and have sat in several meetings with BLM and the USFS to discuss ebikes. Not once has ebike usage in designated wilderness come up, and I don’t really see it coming up in the future. That being said, my focus is on helping provide better access to those in the adaptive community through motorized hand cycles. Wilderness access isn’t a consideration on our end.
Speaking from a member of the MTB community that lives in a MTB Mecca surrounded by 4 designated wilderness areas, the local sentiment is ok with ebikes, but there is no desire to push for ebike access in the wilderness. On top of that, most mtb users aren’t into the type 2 fun that come along with riding/bushwhacking footpaths and animal trails in wilderness areas. Just my $.02.

OP
txhunter581
What do you think the odds are that National forest service will allow Ebikes in the future? If so what class?

OP
txhunter581
Yep, thanks. I had seen that. Figured it will eventually pass but just wondering which way they are leaning in the short term