Educate Me Please

McCree

Lil-Rokslider
So I just ordered a new camera with the help of those at Camera Land, a Rockslide sponsor. I decided on an Olympus EM-5 Mark II. Based on our discussion and my experience I felt this was a good fit. Anyway, I wanted to see if anyone could recommend any books, other than the manual, that will help me better myself and my photography knowledge, particularly with this camera? I would also like any recommendations for a tree stand camera mount. Thanks in advance for your help!

Wapiti1

WKR
Second that book recommendation. Videos on YouTube from Peter Forsgard. He shoots Olympus and has a lot of good content.

I moved to an Oly system from Canon last year. Great system for travel and backpacking. I ran the two systems for several years, and finally got to where I never got out my Canon FF and APS-C gear. There are pros and cons to either direction.

Have fun with it. That is a good camera with a lot of room to grow.

Jeremy

WesternBounty

Lil-Rokslider
Youtube is honestly really nice if you are a visual/ hands on learner because you actually see someone doing it. I would recommend Peter Mckinnon or Matti Haapoja and a whole lot of taking your camera with you everywhere and shooting pictures!

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
I second YouTube as a resource. Also, while you are studying, either a book or watching a video, take notes. Consolidate your nots on different settings for different situations, put them on a note card that lives in your camera bag.

jspradley

WKR
Youtube is great, watch tons of videos, find photographers whose style you like and learn how they do it. Copy the crap out of them and eventually you will discover your own unique style from blending together various influences

Wapiti1

WKR
There are also a lot of forums that do "assignments" or themes and you submit your photo that fits that assignment. Then you get the feedback. Those can be a lot of fun, and will teach you a lot about using the functions of the camera.

Getting feedback can be invaluable.

Jeremy

ODB

WKR
You’d be surprised at how little photography has actually changed over the years. This little book was published in 1951 and is an excellent resource.

jspradley

WKR
Very true, just about all of the fundamentals are still the same!

Pretty much the only "new" thing digital has brought to capturing images is ISO (film had a similar system but you couldn't change it on the fly), various autofocus technologies and ability to preview your pics.

ODB

WKR
Very true, just about all of the fundamentals are still the same!

Pretty much the only "new" thing digital has brought to capturing images is ISO (film had a similar system but you couldn't change it on the fly), various autofocus technologies and ability to preview your pics.

Correct! At the end of the day, we are still just capturing light! Always have been, always will be!

How are you liking the Olympus Camera? I got one on order I m going to try it out. I m not convinced I m going to like it.