Ek burger

Jd259

WKR
Getting ready to make up some ek burger just wondering how many times you run it through the grinder and what plates to get the “traditional” grocery store ground beef texture and mixture??
Thanks!

OP
Jd259

Jd259

WKR
I’ll be adding 10% beef fat are your guys that are running it once adding fat also? Does it mix meat/fat well enough with one pass?

Grind all ur elk down to 1/8” grind all ur fat down, invest in a mixer with a motor and mix it down. I also add seasonings at this time, whether it’s
Just salt and pepper for hamburger, taco seasoning, sloppy Joe seasoning, whatever I’d use the burger with, after mixing run through the grinder again and bag it. Ur mixture of fat to elk depends on what it’s for I put a little extra fat in my hamburger meat to stick better on the grill, but in that case I also use bacon ends instead of regular pork suet or beef suet. Better flavor, for the burger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
1/8", twice through. I find I end up with a better ratio of fat to meat grinding twice. I don't have a true dedicated grinder so that might change things some.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Most of the time I grind the elk/venison or whatever separately. I vacuum seal half of that pure and the other I mix in some cheap, fatty beef hamburger, about 4 or 5 to 1 game to beef burger.

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
I use a small amount of olive oil or avocado oil to lightly coat the cubed meat before its ground. I don't add any fat unless it's for sausage.

I run it through once with the 1/4" plate, then a second pass with the 1/8th.

#12 - .75HP LEM

GSPHUNTER

WKR
For Elk summer sausage I use 30% pork fat. I alway put grinder parts and meat in freezer for about 30 mins. before grinding.

Azone

WKR
Grind meat and fat through a 1/2 inch plate and lightly toss it around a bit to evenly distribute the fat through out the meat. Then run it through a 1/8 inch plate and wrap it or seal it. If you mix it around a bunch after the second grind you will start extracting the proteins in the meat and it will take on more of a sausage texture and not a hamburger texture. Partially frozen fat will be your friend.

OP
Jd259

Jd259

WKR
Thanks for all the responses from what I’ve gathered so far 1/8 seems to be the go to plate for the finished product and about 50/50 on one grind or two so I think I’ll start with the the 1/8 plate and one grind and cook some up and see how it is and then decide if I need a initial grind with a bigger plate then go the second grind through the 1/8.

Calbuck

WKR
For what it’s worth..I don’t understand why everyone mixes so much fat and tries to make the burger taste like something else..I hunt elk and deer to eat the venison naturally, and I like the taste with no added fats or seasoning..I don’t have issues making patties and I love the fact that it’s such lean meat in burger form. Important is to trim the gristle and silver skin out as much as possible. My .02 cents..

KineKilla

WKR
I do the coarse plate followed by the 1/8" plate. I have used beef fat and bacon. I prefer beef fat but it can be hard to find around here during hunting season.

I imagine un smoked pork belly would also work. I prefer a 10% fat ratio for mine.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk