How much trimming before you grind your burger?

Silver skin is pretty thick stuff. If you've got a wife whose first choice is not elk, it's best to remove as much as you can. My wife complains about enough crap I do, I don't need to hear that there's "something chewy" in her dinner.

bdan68

WKR
I used to remove nearly everything that wasn't pure muscle meat before grinding. But more recently I've become more educated on nutrition, and all that "stuff" I used to remove is good for us. Just think of all the collagen supplements that many people use. That's exactly what all those tendons and "silver skin" is. Eat all that stuff! And, fat as well. I will never again throw out any fat from wild game, it's all going into my burger. I even fried some up just to try it, since the common thought is that deer fat or elk fat tastes bad. So as I was butchering a deer I threw a few pieces in a frying pan with a little butter. It was really good, tastes just about the same as beef fat.

tracker12

WKR
I trim all fat and as much of silver skin as possible. It's a lot of work and takes more time but I like the results.

Marble

WKR
We butcher around two dozen animals a year. We remove blood shot, bone, cartridge, larger tendons/ligaments, glands and large amounts of fat. We never remove silver skin. If you have a good grinder and grind twice everything should be fantastic.

As far as adding fat, you can do none, pork, beef or special fats from beef if you're so inclined.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I remove some silver skin and most tendons. All the fat I find gets removed. When I'm doing roasts it's always the fatty parts that have the strong taste so I'm thorough with fat.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk