Ek rubs and scouting

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
Ok rub experts. I found these rubs last year. They were pretty fresh and I found a few others close by. I put my bow in the picture just as a reference but some of the rubs had to of been 12 feet high. Are these elk (considerably taller then any rubs I have come across in the past) or something else.

Attachments

• 20190903_104900.jpg
    20190903_104900.jpg
    775 KB · Views: 62

Gerbdog

WKR
Ok rub experts. I found these rubs last year. They were pretty fresh and I found a few others close by. I put my bow in the picture just as a reference but some of the rubs had to of been 12 feet high. Are these elk (considerably taller then any rubs I have come across in the past) or something else.
No expert... but looks like something chewed off that bark, the branches arent busted up and knocked off like you would expect to see if an elk had hit it.... maybe a porcupine?

How about the age on this one? Two years? The rub went up about 8 feet high

Attachments

• IMG_20200725_190249937_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200725_190249937_HDR.jpg
    603.8 KB · Views: 39

Swede

WKR
rtockstein, your rub is from last year. The limbs remaining on the tree are all dry. I agree with gerbdog on Jsqualls tree. That said; elk can bend a sapling like that over with their antlers and rub it up for more than 12 feet.

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
No expert... but looks like something chewed off that bark, the branches arent busted up and knocked off like you would expect to see if an elk had hit it.... maybe a porcupine?
Maybe something chewed it. Here is another one in same area.

Attachments

• 20190903_104825.jpg
    20190903_104825.jpg
    794.3 KB · Views: 31

hobbes

WKR

Porcupine

OP
Crippledsledge64

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all for the responses, still excited to see something. Still wondering if I should hunt this area as the only water I can find is at the bottom in some cow tanks. Did see plenty of other sign in there like droppings, beds, and a cow elk.

Swede

WKR
Elk water at stock at tanks and troughs. I have killed several at them. My son shot a bull at one. Upon getting hit, it jumped into the Powder River trough. My son thought he might have a big problem getting it out. Fortunately it finally got out on its own only to die a few yards away.

Dang it, thanks guys I appreciate it. I was getting excited. Is this still likely to be a good area for this year or does it change from year to year?

typically, elk will be in the same areas every year. other factors play a role however. weather, predation and human pressure can all push elk out.