Elk scouting

holder171

FNG
I live in Iowa so obviously scouting for elk hasn’t always been the easiest for me, I’ve never had success connecting with one out there. This year I’d like to come out before season (maybe mid summer) to do some scouting for 3rd season and maybe set up a couple cameras (mainly cause I think it’d be cool to get some pictures of elk instead of just deer). I know come 3rd season the elk won’t be in the same areas as they are early season so my question is would I be wasting my time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NE FLORIDA in a small town called Palatka
I live in Iowa so obviously scouting for elk hasn’t always been the easiest for me, I’ve never had success connecting with one out there. This year I’d like to come out before season (maybe mid summer) to do some scouting for 3rd season and maybe set up a couple cameras (mainly cause I think it’d be cool to get some pictures of elk instead of just deer). I know come 3rd season the elk won’t be in the same areas as they are early season so my question is would I be wasting my time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think any time spent in a area that you may hunt would be a waste of time. That's just that much more you'll know about the area and what to expect. Come hunt time you will be that much more ahead

Poser

WKR
It is often the case that 3rd season for elk is very different habitat and elevation than summer grounds. There are exceptions and overlap and some years the snow hasn’t pushed elk into migratory movements yet. I suppose it depends on what the goal of summer trip is. Many areas I’ve seen elk during 3rd rifle are ghost towns in the summer months..

Poser

WKR
It is often the case that 3rd season for elk is very different habitat and elevation than summer grounds. There are exceptions and overlap and some years the snow hasn’t pushed elk into migratory movements yet. I suppose it depends on what the goal of summer trip is. Many areas I’ve seen elk during 3rd rifle are ghost towns in the summer months..

gabenzeke

WKR
I'm in Iowa too. If you hang a camera in a place they will be in 3rd season, you're probably not going to get many pictures. If you hang it in a place to get pics now, that information is worthless come 3rd season. Probably best to scout on the internet as best you can and hunt the same area and same season year after year to figure it out.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk