Electrical Tape on Muzzle

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Is that electrical tape people are using to keep out debris and water?

Do you take it off at the end of the day and then redo the next morning? Take it off before shooting or no?

Should I bring my own tape or will the guide have some?

Electrical tape is what use. I tape my muzzle everytime out. No need to take it off before shooting.

duchntr

WKR
Yes put it on before the hunt, shoot through it. Then put more on for the trip out. I put a few wraps around the base of the barrel for after the first shot as well.

hodgeman

WKR
A strip of tape keeps the goobers out of the barrel. Shoot through it, it doesn't appreciably effect POI. I keep a few wraps around the barrel to replace it after I fire.

As others have said, shoot with it on there. From my understanding, the gasses and pressure blow the tape off well before the bullet gets there.

SpannerAK

Lil-Rokslider
I just use one piece and it has stayed on my rifle for months.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
Your not really shooting through the tape or what every you use, the escaping gasses in front of the bullet are blowing it off well before the bullet gets there.

I use water grenade balloons purchased at WalMart or a party store. There balloons are shaped like a handgrenade and smaller then most balloons so they fit tight on the barrel. I stuff 7 or 8 balloons into one balloon and put the small package in my pocket or belt pouch.

Weekender

WKR
Your not really shooting through the tape or what every you use, the escaping gasses in front of the bullet are blowing it off well before the bullet gets there.

I use water grenade balloons purchased at WalMart or a party store. There balloons are shaped like a handgrenade and smaller then most balloons so they fit tight on the barrel. I stuff 7 or 8 balloons into one balloon and put the small package in my pocket or belt pouch.

This is what I use as well. They're a little more fragile so have a few spares in hand. Used electrical tape in the past and it works well just leaves residue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hodgeman

WKR
Electrical tape residue comes off with a bit of WD40 or isopropyl alcohol and a rag.

The "Scotch 33+" brand is less likely to leave gooey on the barrel than generic electrical tape from the box store.

GKPrice

Banned
the late Finn Aaggard used duct tape, mentioned it in quite a few of his articles - I've tested it several times and it does not affect POI in any way

I'm gonna test Gorilla tape sometime in Sept when checking POI's just to make sure it's toughness isn't too much of a good thing - I'll post findings

Birchwood Casey makes "Barrel Cots" specifically designed for this. I found them a little too thin, so I went back to electrical tape. I use three pieces about 4 inches long. One goes top to bottom, the next goes side to side, then the last piece wraps around the barrel over the ends of the first two to keep the ends tight. The residue is easily removed with Hoppes #9, or alcohol. I leave it on for the entire 5 day hunt, and I don't remove it before shooting.

ATX762

Lil-Rokslider
Bring your own tape but you should have a good deal of duct tape wrapped around all your nalgene or the water bottles anyway for blisters and general gear repair (i've used it to field repair tents, goretex jackets, sleeping bags that got too close to my titanium wood stove, and this last trip flying back from Alaska I used my Nalgene-bottle duct tape to tape up all the buckles and loose straps on my backpack that I ended up having to check to make weight for the airline--too much weight in caribou meat!). IE, you should have some kind of tape on you at all times anyway, in my humble opinion, and I generally use duct tape to cover my muzzles anyway, rather than electrical tape.

Rolando

FNG
Has anyone actually tested accuracy while shooting with tape on the muzzle?