Elevated Trail Cam placement?

I've never used trails cams, but I've decided to use them in preparation for Sept. elk next year. My question to the group: does anybody install them high (8'-10'?) in a tree to avoid detection and tampering by people? I plan to place them near wallows and the country I hunt is fairly thick, so I don't need to focus a long ways away.

How do you install one so that it is correctly pointing downwards?
Are there brands of mounts, or cameras themselves, that are made to be mounted at height and angled?

The spy high system is cool. Its honesty not priced terribly for what what it is, but I opted to pick up a strap on climbing stick and do the DIY screw in camera bracket trick. For less than $20 for a stick and less than $5 for the screw in mount I've been satisfied.
Mounting them is a trial and error thing, I've had them 10-12' high, I usually mount them then hop down to verify the aim by eye ball. After you do it a few times it goes pretty quick. The cameras I use for these sets are generally cellular so I get my confirmation before I leave.
If you do it right they become just about invisible. I've had one up a tree in a pretty popular spot for about 3 seasons now and no one has ever seen it.

Last edited:

cnelk

WKR
I bring in 2 screw in steps - climb up and place the camera - remove the steps and hide them nearby.

Yoder

WKR
I use python locks and para cord. Bring a step or two with you so you can put them up high enough. I just break sticks and stuff them behind the camera to get the proper angle.

Erict

WKR
I've mounted them much higher on either the trunk or a branch - no need for an expensive mounting system but a longer strap and foldable saw help. Some cams can be put in WIFI mode to stream live video to a phone for aiming help. With non-cell cams you can just place, wave hand in front of cam, remove SD card and look where it's pointed. Leaves on branches blowing in a warm breeze can be a problem with false triggers. You will probably be able to get better pictures and save battery by reducing flash settings.

1702308178614.jpeg

...and make sure the logger knows what tree your cam is in so they can save it for you.....

1702307693464.jpeg

Kodiak06

FNG
12' is plenty and angle out a little. At least for me it works. No bear victim cams and no elk damage.

Attachments

• x2.JPG
    x2.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 23
I use slate river ez aim mounts. Carry a few screw in steps in my pack. Cams mounted 10 ft or so are rarely noticed by people. These 2 assholes are a perfect example. I had a cam at eye level on this trail, and decided to hang another up high watching it. Thats my camera in assfaces hand. They didnt see the high one.11210428.JPG_thumb.jpg

Last edited:

Lurch12

Lil-Rokslider
I mount mine high as well. Between 8-10 feet. I carry a Lone wolf stick, and then just look for a tree that is leaning or break a stick off behind it. A buddy of mine cut's door stops triangles and used them as wedges for his cameras.

Be careful when using python locks. Do not make them completely tight if you plan to leave the camera up for a long time. As the tree grows and gets thicker, it will break the camera, or make it nearly impossible to get the python lock back off the tree. You need a little slack for the lock to work properly.

Kodiak06

FNG
I use slate river ez aim mounts. Carry a few screw in steps in my pack. Cams mounted 10 ft or so are rarely noticed by people. These 2 assholes are a perfect example. I had a cam at eye level on this trail, and decided to hang another up high watching it. Thats my camera in assfaces hand. They didnt see the high one.View attachment 643658
I put cams out like that. Hopefully you got his ass introduced to the law..

pirogue

WKR
HME also makes a low profile, cheap screw-in, mount for tilting. Those python lock cables are about as eye catching as a strap. I’ve also went to the hardware store and bought what I need to make my own. (Just paint em, afterwards)

Sadly,(way too many people) I have gone almost exclusively to mounting cameras high using the Spy High system. Am very pleased so far with the results. The durability seems to be very good and after mounting a camera or 2 it is very easy to tell were the camera is aimed. The laser was helpful at first, but I have not used it at all after mounting the first camera. So far so good!

mitchell

FNG
I too am worried about theft. X2 on putting cable on too tight. Put out a couple hanging stands that I couldent take chains off of. Trees grew too much and tightened the chains so bad, had to use bolt cutters to remove a link.